Ares Games

Thread: Here is one you wont see often!

Exclamation Here is one you wont see often!

Found this pic of a Consolidated Privateer on Facebook.
    Apparently the only one in the world still flying.
    Must admit I know nothing about the back story of this aircraft.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	268455

Navy version of the B-24, single rudder, upgraded engines. I did one for our bomber painting contest a few years ago. They were mostly converted to fire bombers, my dad did several for the forest services in the 50's and 60's and I got to play in them on occasion . . . loved the smell of those old crates . . . Great photo, Thanks for the memories

Lightbulb

Tried to find something about this bird and I must say David is 100% right

• Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer in general on Wikipedia
    • Goss Hawk Unlimited Inc. is the company who restored this plane - several interesting photos from inside.
    • And a story about: The aircraft was built in 1945 by Consolidated-Vultee — one of 739 of its type manufactured in San Diego during the war — but got into the game too late to join the fight. World War II ended on August 14, 1945.
      After the war, nine PB4Y's — including #6302 — were transferred to the U.S. Coast Guard.
      After years patrolling coastal waters, this PB4Y-2, destined for the scrap heap in 1958, was spared an inglorious end when it was purchased by Phoenix-based Ace Smelting Inc.
      The aircraft was refitted and continued in civilian service as an airtanker, dropping fire retardant on forest fires throughout the western U.S.
      Grantham flew PB4Y-2's for the U.S. Forest Service for about eight years in the '70 and '80s.
      The pilot fought blazes from the Mexican border to northern Alaska, including the 1988 Yellowstone fires that tore through nearly 800,000 acres of the iconic Yellowstone National Park.
      "It's fun to fly, none of the controls are boosted, so everything's manual. I have a lot of history with this type of airplane, so it makes it easy for me to manage it and fly it. It was a very good firefighting airplane, very maneuverable, it hauled a good load, it had good speed. It served a great purpose in that duty."

Nice shot. Funny, it looks like there is no glass other than for the cockpit.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Nice shot. Funny, it looks like there is no glass other than for the cockpit.
    They did that in the civilian conversion to keep them cooler inside during summer operations and for maintenance. All the military bits were also pulled and were either scrapped or turned into my playland behind the hanger . . . The turrets were my fave! The radios and cool black boxes were super fun to play with . . . lots of knobs and gages.

Neat picture!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    They did that in the civilian conversion to keep them cooler inside during summer operations and for maintenance. All the military bits were also pulled and were either scrapped or turned into my playland behind the hanger . . . The turrets were my fave! The radios and cool black boxes were super fun to play with . . . lots of knobs and gages.
    Now that's a childhood to envy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Now that's a childhood to envy!
    Damn right!

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Thanks for the insight...and yes, definite envy.

Another great photo, Gullyraker, and excellent job on the research, Dan-Sam.

They were very useful in the Pacific, with long range, and lots of guns. Unlike their European theater brothers, the B-24s, followed by the above PB4Y-2s often struck at island bases at low altitudes, adding their MGs to the carnage.
    There are a few good books on the subject of these squadrons.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Great photograph, Barry, as usual! It is good that one is still flying.

Other photographs of this particular aircraft are available on the internet. Here is one showing it being refuelled.

Name:	IMG_2895-GossHawk-Unlimited-restoration-shop-Consolidated-PB4Y-2-Privateer-Casa-Grande-Arizona.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	268534

Here's a few from my records and childhood

Name:	20190529_065422.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	268564

Name:	20190529_065508.jpg 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	268565

Name:	20190529_065535.jpg 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	268566

Fire Bomber 123 is even the star of a folk song!

Name:	20190529_065626.jpg 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	268567

And the demise of a brave crew

Name:	20190529_065842.jpg 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	268568

nice to see such a rare bird!

Thanks for sharing those memories; sad about the loss of the crew. I assume they were firebombing at the time?

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Wonder if a fire bomber game might be interesting . . . Lots of colorful planes to modify . . .

Wonder if a fire bomber game might be interesting . . . Lots of colorful planes to modify . . .
    If it's done right, the effects would be awesome! Thinking those little LED blinkers in the fire clouds
    Karl

Similar Missions

1. I wont be at home for abit from tomorrow so....
    By Wodin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-24-2010, 06:29