Ares Games

Thread: Are there any rules for the water-injection system?

Question Are there any rules for the water-injection system?

Hi everyone,
    I would like to know if there were any rules for the water-injection system in the F4U Corsair. It was used in emergencies to boost the airplanes speed for a short amount of time.
    Thanks, Nathan

I don't think any have been suggested as yet Nathan, but I am sure that someone will come up with a suggestion or two.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

We have a couple that we bought from Hobby Lobby made by New Ray Toys, they are 1:190 scale, but are close enough.

Those work, I have a dozen of them and several AIM 1/200" scale in resin with birdcage and bubble canopy. Gotta get them a carrier, hmmmm . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Those work, I have a dozen of them and several AIM 1/200" scale in resin with birdcage and bubble canopy. Gotta get them a carrier, hmmmm . . .
    Well Clipper, I see you have been holding out on us. Some Corsairs and not for sale???

Thomas

Here's a tasty photo from my book of Heroes . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190525_094249.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	298.5 KB 
ID:	268295

A bit closer . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190525_094255.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	273.1 KB 
ID:	268298

Love the rocket's!

OK, with a quick look why I didn't add these rules....the difference between water-injected and non-injected max speed is only 7.5mm of arrow length.
    Not really enough to mess with at our game's scale.
    I could see changing the climb rate from a 3 to a 2 while using water injection.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

That's about the length of the arrowhead if I recall correctly, so a simple move to slide it along.. you'd just need something to mark the boost being used, work out for how long it can be applied & how often it can be used in a game.

"He is wise who watches"

I was expecting the Corsair to have a climb rate of 2 anyway without a boost.

Other aircraft had water injection also.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    That's about the length of the arrowhead if I recall correctly, so a simple move to slide it along.. you'd just need something to mark the boost being used, work out for how long it can be applied & how often it can be used in a game.
    That's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I was expecting the Corsair to have a climb rate of 2 anyway without a boost.

Other aircraft had water injection also.
    So, upgrade climb rate for 1 level (4 to 3, 3 to 2 etc), unless it's already 2?

OR

Just allow to increase altitude for 2 climb markers?

I'm going with just a climb of 2 for the F4U boosted; other planes i need to look at.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thank you guys for the help! Is there an average time length for the system?

The German's systems had 30-40 minutes of stuff. I haven't seen any figures for the USA ones, but I would assume the same.
    Far more time than a game would last.
    BTW, there doesn't' seem to be enough gain in climb for the P-47 to change from a 3; too heavy a Jug, I guess
    Did any other allied planes use this?
    Karl

There were a number of aircraft on both sides using water, methanol or other methods of boosting engine output. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_emergency_power.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    The German's systems had 30-40 minutes of stuff. I haven't seen any figures for the USA ones, but I would assume the same.
    Far more time than a game would last.
    BTW, there doesn't' seem to be enough gain in climb for the P-47 to change from a 3; too heavy a Jug, I guess
    Did any other allied planes use this?
    Karl
    That is probably why there are not rules for it. I found a discussion that said it was for about 90 seconds for the Corsair:
    https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/thread...jection.47401/

Similar Missions

1. Ace abilities rules and the point system
    By Mick.G in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-25-2018, 04:43
  2. National Who will water the aspidistra when I'm away?
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-31-2016, 14:36
  3. Injection-moulded kits options
    By Baldrick62 in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 14:01
  4. New House rules: skill system, altitude, etc. need feedback.
    By graysin1337 in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 19:30
  5. WWI system vs WWII system question????
    By Propjockey53 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 14:14