Ares Games

Thread: Updated Serial #s & Nameplates

Default Updated Serial #s & Nameplates

So, there's not a whole lot of options for customizing the look of these models; given the detail levels of the original models I think most repaint efforts (at least mine) will just look sloppy by comparison. But I had to at least try to update the serial numbers and nameplates.
    The image is hosted on another site, because unless I missed a forum update it would never be displayed at the level of detail needed to examine the changes (my focus doesn't quite accommodate that level of detail either, but that's another issue).
    edit: Apparently to see the full resolution you have to right-click and "view image" anyway.

Hardball's Viper updated to 3266NC.
    Starbuck given a clean viper 8757NC; the one she was lost and later retuned in.
    Kat's nameplate put on Starbuck's viper (one of many pilots to fly this serial number), since she no longer needs it.

I gotta say, I was really kind of annoyed at the serial # selections for the vipers. I don't know if there's any evidence that Seelix flew her assigned serial number, but there's plenty of evidence that several other characters flew the 7242NC that was given to Starbuck. But they decided to go with a battle weathered look for her ship (identical to the wear patterns on Apollo's Viper, BTW), which doesn't work for either the commemorative Wiliam "Husker" Adama viper from the beginning of the show (of the same serial #) or the serial # I ended up giving her, which returned in pristine condition.

Decals were printed on white laser decal paper at 1200 dpi setting (no idea if it actually prints that resolution) using color 707070 for the printing and eeeeee for the background.
    For those who've only printed decals on injket paper, you have no idea how much easier laser decals are.
    For those who've only printed on laserjet, you have ABSOLUTELY no idea how lucky you are.
    I never would've even tried these decals on an inkjet.

I also did a quick metallic wash on a Raider, which I think made a suble but definite improvement.
    Last edited by Pseudotheist; 05-23-2019 at 17:22.

Very cool.

I have gone with the idea that it doesn't matter what the Vipers have on them, cause nobody can actually read it anyway.

At one time, I could have, I suppose. But, not without a magnifying glass, now.

Nice work, Todd.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Nice micro work.

I only put the letter stickers on the bases.

Maybe I‘ll modify one or two of the base game raiders a little bit and colour their green little pentagrams in different colors.

By the way, I think we get a great product for 12 USD. (Thank you Keith)
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Good work, Todd!

Very cool! I'd love to try this, but have never done anything like it. If you don't mind, I have a bunch of questions...
    Where do you get the decal paper, and what font do you use?
    Is there special software, or just a word processor?
    Do you fit the decal inside the existing "nameplate" or do you print a new plate border as well?

Thanks ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by MadUncleAndy View Post
    Very cool! I'd love to try this, but have never done anything like it. If you don't mind, I have a bunch of questions...
    So I got the paper from here: https://bare-metal.com/experts-choice-decal-film.html
    In case it wasn't clear from the original post, I wouldn't even attempt this sort of decal work if you're not working with a laser printer. And honestly, if you've never done anything with printed decals before this is probably not the place to start; there are many more rewarding and easier decal options in the WoG WWI line, if that interests you at all.

Don't tell anyone, but i think i scavenged images of larger scale Viper decals as a jumping off point for my serial numbers, then used GIMP to create clean numbers from the templates. I did just find a font that looked close for the names, because they're too small to print clearly anyway, and I believe I did make the decals with the outer box, but I think I ended up just using it as a guide to make sure I didn't cut the decal too big.

If you decide to give it a try, let us know how it goes.

Can you say more about the metallic wash? I like the metallic look of the Scar raider, and think the difference between Scar and the other raiders is jarring.

Quote Originally Posted by LS650 View Post
    Can you say more about the metallic wash? I like the metallic look of the Scar raider, and think the difference between Scar and the other raiders is jarring.
    Sadly not a whole lot. I happened to have an old "metallic" paint that did a fairly horrible job of actually painting over anything, but did darken a little and add a shiny metallic finish.

I believe that there are supposed to be paints on the market that do this sort of thing intentionally (inks & washes), but I haven't tried any of them.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Great stuff here, Todd! The stencilling on the Vipers is so small that it has to be difficult to repaint/re-decal one of the little buggers, even though it woold be great to do so with multiple Vipers. I wonder if Kevin/miscmini would be able to come up with a sheet of Viper pilot 'handles' and serial numbers?

Your metallic wash definitely makes a difference - I assume the top Cylon is the one with the metallic overpaint? It definitely has darker panel lines.

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    - I assume the top Cylon is the one with the metallic overpaint? It definitely has darker panel lines.
    The other, front-and-left Raider looks more metallic to my old eyes.

I think the wash has "shallowed-out" the panel lines, producing a more equalised overall finish?

It's very nice - I like it!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks Todd! It's definitely on my backlog, although if someone came up with a sheet of pre-done ones like Matt suggested, I'd hop on that in a heartbeat.

Similar Missions

1. General Serial Adventure Stories
    By degodave in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-10-2015, 14:29
  2. Japanese aircraft serial numbers
    By Naharaht in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-19-2013, 05:17
  3. Nexus Nieuport 17 - Serial 4187 from 22 KAO
    By Madboyo in forum Past Repaint Contest Entries
    Replies: 4