Ares Games

Thread: Catch-22

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default Catch-22

I have always been a fan of Joseph Heller's novel Catch-22, which is based (to a greater or lesser degree) on his service in WW2 as a bombardier on B-25s in the Italian Campaign. In fact, as an English teacher, I taught the novel to my seniors in AP English Lit for years. A movie was made years ago (early 70s, I think?) that did a decent job of telling the novel's story, and now the TV streaming channel Hulu has a series, produced in part by George Clooney, of the novel.

I watched the first episode of the series this morning, and it's rather good The craziness of the novel and witty dialogue comes through well, and the B-25s look great on the ground and in the air.

For those of you who might be fans of the book, I highly recommend it to your attention. I see that a second episode is ready to be viewed - not sure how many they plan to do...should you choose to watch, I hope you enjoy it!

All the best,
    Matt

Thanks Matt! Is it available to the UK do you know?

When I get on line I see an ad for Catch 22. Have seen the movie many times and it is a great movie. I know Garfunkel (Simon& Grafunkel) was in the movie. Didn't know they made a new version of it. Have you read the book One to Count Cadence ?
    An ASA story

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Thanks Matt! Is it available to the UK do you know?
    Looks like it will air on Channel 4 Reg - no date found yet but soon I would imagine.

"He is wise who watches"

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Glad to see you might have access to it soon, Dave and Reg I should have a chance to watch the second episode today or tomorrow sometime...

I have not read it, Bob, but I have seen it advertised on Amazon.com - I have read several books/memoirs by ASAers stationed in West Berlin. In fact, my roommate (who subsequently went on to work for NSA as a civilian) self-published a memoir about a year ago that is a pretty fun read...

All the best,
    Matt

Looks like something fun to watch once it comes to UK TV

Thank you for the 'heads up', Matt. I think I saw a trailer for it as 'coming soon' on channel 4 here in the U.K. but it is good to be reminded.

I have a soft spot for the original movie because watching it enabled me to answer a quiz question, which won me a prize from Ares.

Saw a trailer for it last night but no date given as yet - just a "coming soon" heads up. Hopefully we'll get the date in the next week or so.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Saw a trailer for it last night but no date given as yet - just a "coming soon" heads up.
    Ditto
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I managed to make time for the second episode yesterday morning - it continues to please! They do a very nice job of capturing the novel's non-linear nature. The history geek/buff in me has spotted a couple of errors, but they are easily overlooked and do not detract from either the story line or visual effects. I see that episode three is available now...

All the best,
    Matt

Matt there are two others I have. One is called TANS (I think you know what that is) but for those that don't it means That ain't no S... I know a few people that have stories in that book. The other is Unlikely Warriors. It is about ASA in Viet Nam and mostly about ARDF. Again I knew some of the people in this book. One was my 1SG in Oki. In another part they talked about this track called THE SCILENCERS. It was with a DSU with a cav unit I think. Oh here is photo of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img004.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	268343

It was something when I read Unlikely Warriors the memories it brought back when they wrote about the Easter Offensive.

The Catch 22 T.V. series starts on Channel 4 in the U.K. on Thursday 20th June at 9.00 p.m..

We're lucky enough to have on 'free-to-air' here in New Zealand.
    Why do I say lucky - my wife & I don't watch enough TV to pay for it!
    Agree with your assessment Matt - I enjoyed the first episode, second is on next week.

If anyone in the U.K. wishes to buy a copy of the Catch 22 novel by Joseph Heller, the are on sale at branches of 'The Works' for £3.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catch-22-1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	269179

Just watched the first episode and it looks good. I feel exactly the same atmosphere as I remember 15 years ago when I read it

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    I have always been a fan of Joseph Heller's novel Catch-22, which is based (to a greater or lesser degree) on his service in WW2 as a bombardier on B-25s in the Italian Campaign. In fact, as an English teacher, I taught the novel to my seniors in AP English Lit for years. A movie was made years ago (early 70s, I think?) that did a decent job of telling the novel's story, and now the TV streaming channel Hulu has a series, produced in part by George Clooney, of the novel.

I watched the first episode of the series this morning, and it's rather good The craziness of the novel and witty dialogue comes through well, and the B-25s look great on the ground and in the air.

For those of you who might be fans of the book, I highly recommend it to your attention. I see that a second episode is ready to be viewed - not sure how many they plan to do...should you choose to watch, I hope you enjoy it!

All the best,
    Matt
    Love the book and the original film ! Used the book several years ago when teaching a class that included behavioral aspects of organizational design when talking about bureaucracy. Will track down the series now -- thanks for the heads up!
    B.

Similar Missions

1. Catch 22?
    By BellMW54 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-23-2017, 15:47
  2. To Catch a Caproni -
    By flash in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-25-2016, 14:01
  3. Good Catch old boy!
    By FarEast in forum WGF: Historical Discussions