Ares Games

Thread: OTTDYM Mission 5 - Adler Tag Team - 5th February 1916 by Vagabond

Default OTTDYM Mission 5 - Adler Tag Team - 5th February 1916 by Vagabond

Game 5
    Relief was written all over Drummonds face when the small plane came into view.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001 P1410152 800.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	268183
    It soon changed to concern when everyone could see the plane was badly shot up and the pilot was having trouble lining up for the field. He obviously had a big problem with the rudder controls and the plane was only responding slowly as he brought her down.

Name:	Rory MacNair.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	268220
    Rory MacNair

The plane was flown by Ruairidh MacNair generally known as Rory and a seasoned pilot on secondment from the French, acting as a Liaison Officer with their squadrons to the south. Showing a cool head he managed to bring the small pusher down and the wind was in the right direction and so he was able to stop quite close to the main buildings and was surrounded by the rest of C Flight, as he climbed out of the cockpit, looking weary but decidedly happy to be on the ground.

Name:	Drummond 01.jpg 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	268221
    Ltn George Drummond

“Thank goodness you made it but look” said Drummond the Flight Leader “all of you quieten down, I have to go and make my report to Uncle and the CO, I need to make it short, concise and accurate. You know we’re all in their bad books, me especially after that row about Cowan and his medal. I’ve never felt so bad before, when I tried to defend Cowan the CO called me an impertinent hound and threatened to have me RTU, as an after thought he suggested the Durham Light Infantry instead. A Home Counties boy like me wouldn’t stand a chance with those Northern bandits.

Name:	Jock 1 and 2.jpg 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	268222
    Jock 2 and Jock 1

“As for you two” and he looked directly at the Twa Jocks, “flying low over a cavalry unit just to see how fast their horses can gallop is not going to endear us to him”. “It’s a good job no one knows it was you or Privates Horse Dropping Collectors 2nd Class is how you’ll see out the war”. When they thought about it, Privates Horse Dropping Collectors 2nd Class didn’t seem as bad as some of the alternatives.

“Right now, lets see what we can all remember, I don’t think I’ve been in such a dogfight before, there were planes all over the sky, I saw one monoplane go down, a blue grey colour, quite pretty in a girly sort of way, who got him? Don’t all shout at once you can’t all claim him! You know the rules have changed and there are no assists and joint claims anymore”.
    “What did you make of those Bi-Planes, I’ve never seen them before, they must be new, they are certainly tougher to shoot down than the Fokker Elll’s. Oh and I’ve got to give an assessment of our new planes the DH2, they seem a bit fragile to me, what did you think Rory. I saw yours smoking the same as mine, don’t make the joke about smoking so young, it’s not funny. We’ll know more about the cause when the guy’s have serviced and repaired them, if it was a fault on the plane or fire from the enemy. Strange but in 4 weeks flying we’ve not had any problem like that with the FE2’s or Moranes, we were lucky there was smoke without fire”.
    He looked around to see how well his joke had gone down. Crashed and burned he thought as no one took any notice.

Five minutes later Drummond was in the shed that Uncle called his office, the big wood burning stove was throwing out enough heat to warm Northern France but he was still wrapped up in a huge great coat and looked decidedly frosty, but there was a slight twinkle in his eyes. “I see you managed to bring everyone back this time, no heroics I hope”, and he smiled, “not like last time” and the smile turned to a frown.

“No Sir” Drummond replied “and we’ve clubbed together and bought the CO a new pipe to replace the last one, it’s even engraved, From C Flight.”

“Do you want me to pass it on to him or are you feeling suicidal” Uncle enquired. “Would you mind doing the honours Sir” was the lame reply. “Ok then just give me the short version of what happened, you can elaborate in your written report if necessary”.

Name:	002.JPG 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	268184
    Plaskitt-Smythe and Pogson with the Twa Jocks on the right. Text relating to the pictures is below it.

Well Sir, as you know it was late in the day and the sun was behind us, Plaskitt-Smythe and Podgeson were flying in FE2b V for Vagabon… err Victor and the Twa Jocks were in FE2b Z for Zebra off to our port side.

Name:	003 P1410709 800.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	268185
    They jumped 2 Fokker’s who were flying along their side of the lines as usual. Either trailing their coats or waiting for a lone BE2 returning home I guess.

Name:	004 P1410713 800.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	268186
    But they fell into a perfect ambush because of the sun, they were totally unaware of us until Podgy opened fire, but they were fast, and good, both turned to starboard immediately.

Name:	005 P1410716 800.jpg 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	268187
    and were quickly around behind them.

Name:	006 P1410721 800.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	224.2 KB 
ID:	268188
    Podgy got hit, quite badly I’m afraid and Plaskitt-Smythe turned for home once he realised how serious it was.

Name:	007 P1410707 800.jpg 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	268189
    Meanwhile Rory and I were in the new DH2’s

Name:	008 P1410708 800.jpg 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	268190
    and we ran into two new planes we’d not seen before. Single Seat Bi-Planes, solid looking things as well, not like the Elll’s at all.

Name:	009 P1410715 800.jpg 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	268191
    We blazed away at each other and immediately my plane started to smoke, fortunately these Pushers don’t blow the smoke into your face and it was a little while before I saw the problem although the sky was black behind me.

Name:	010 P1410719 800.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	268192
    Rory was coming in fast and opened fire with a long burst on the new type of plane and is pretty certain he hit the pilot, but he must be one of the Prussian pilots, hard as nails they are, it didn’t seem to stop him at all.

Name:	011 P1410722 800.jpg 
Size:	234.5 KB 
ID:	268193
    We were banking to port and so were the new planes, they seemed pretty much a match for our new DH2’s, maybe we are going to get the better of the old Elll’s just as the Germans bring in a next generation of Scout, hopefully they will not be able to manufacture them at a fast rate.

Name:	012 P1410723 800.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	268194
    Both the FE’s had overshot the Fokkers who were flying like old veterans, they were round and on the tails of the FE’s very quickly, we’ve seen them before, they were the pilots that made such a mess of our last mission, effectively taking out 3 of our planes.
    Uncles face darkened “I think C Flight contributed quite well to the German score on the last mission, especially Berry” Drummond flushed but decided to continue with his report.

Name:	013 P1410725 800.jpg 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	268195
    Mother FEE with the two baby FEE’s in tow!

Name:	014 P1410727 800.jpg 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	268196
    Plaskitt-Smythe in the foreground headed for home with his wounded Observer, the 2 DH2’s have turned in unison to go after the CDL Fokker and MacIver has the bit between his teeth and is letting MacGreggor have all the target practice he needs against the Blue Fokker.

Name:	015 P1410729 800.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	268197
    I could see Rory over on my starboard side take a long burst from the CDL Fokker and his plane started to smoke as badly as mine had, but by then mine had stopped. The Twa Jocks were making mincemeat of the Blue Fokker and I was turning in their direction intent on helping.

Name:	016 P1410733 800.jpg 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	268198
    Drummond continued with his story, explaining how he had got the Elll in his sights, the only problem he admitted ruefully was he had me in his sights as well, and I was already committed to a hard port turn.

Name:	017 P1410735 800.jpg 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	268199
    Which brought him right behind me, luckily so close his bullets whizzed straight on past. He was so close I thought his prop was going to start chewing on my tail. Not sure what would happen when his prop met mine.

Name:	018 P1410737 800.jpg 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	268200
    I pulled back on the throttle and he came along side but by then I was busy blowing holes in the brown Bi-Plane that had appeared in front of me.

Name:	019 P1410740 800.jpg 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	268201
    For some reason the blue Fokker Imelled and left me to continue shooting up the brown job in front of me.

It may have been because he saw MacIver’s FEE coming in on his tail, we’ll never know.

Name:	020 P1410743 800.jpg 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	268202
    MacIver says that the Fokker turned fast as lightening and it and MacGreggor were firing at point blank range then the Fokker just barrel rolled over on its back and fell out of the sky.

Kill to MacGreggor

Name:	021 P1410738 800.jpg 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	268203
    Meanwhile the CDL Fokker and Rory had become a bit detached from the main fight and ended up having their own personal duel.

Name:	022 P1410742 800.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	268204

Name:	023 P1410745 800.jpg 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	268205
    which Rory was getting the better of until his gun jammed.

Name:	024 P1410744 800.jpg 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	268206
    Having flown past the brown plane I turned in and almost collided with his CDL counterpart, but we both managed to avoid hitting each other, I was very mindful of the C.O.’s views on loosing planes through collisions.
    Uncle interjected at this point saying “I think it was our own planes colliding with each other, I don’t think he takes such a dim view of you colliding with the enemy”

“Right Oh, I’ll bear that in mind for the future”, although quite what Drummond was thinking about that piece of advice he kept to himself.

Name:	025 P1410746 800.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	268207
    The Twa Jocks had a go at the brown plane but MacGreggors gun jammed at the crucial moment.

Name:	026 P1410751 800.jpg 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	268208
    Planes were all over the show.

Name:	027 P1410752 800.jpg 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	268209
    There were many near collisions, but I expect everyone was trying to avoid them after the last mission.

Name:	028 P1410754 800.jpg 
Size:	227.9 KB 
ID:	268210
    Eventually Drummond got in a good position firing into the CDL plane.

Name:	029 P1410757 800.jpg 
Size:	229.3 KB 
ID:	268211
    And then narrowly missed ploughing straight in to it.

Name:	030 P1410758 800.jpg 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	268212
    The brown jobbie shoots up the FEE whose gun was jammed at the time, the engine started vibrating like an out of control washing machine, well it would have if they had been invented at the time so it was more like an out of control washboard with a mad washer woman doing the washing but you probably get the drift.

Name:	031 P1410759 800.jpg 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	268213
    With a dodgy engine MacIver was headed back to the barn but not before they took some more damage from the CDL plane.

Name:	032 P1410762 800.jpg 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	268214
    Rory was now in a second personal fight with the brown job, his gun jammed just before

Name:	033 P1410766 800.jpg 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	268215
    he made a perfect move onto the enemy tail but could only hammer away at his gun to try and free it.

Name:	034 P1410768 800.jpg 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	268216
    Then disaster, Imelling and coming straight back at Rory the brown plane causes massive damage to the tail of the DH2 and Rory does well to keep the plane in the air.

Name:	035 P1410769 800.jpg 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	268217
    The brown plane does another Imellmann turn but is too far behind to catch the DH2 and Rory, flying in a straight line disappears into a cloud and was not seen until the start of this story hours ago.

Name:	036 P1410771 800.jpg 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	268218
    The final flurries.

Name:	037 P1410772 800.jpg 
Size:	244.9 KB 
ID:	268219
    The last shots go to Drummond.

I was running out of time and so didn’t bring on the 5th Fokker and I decided that outnumbered 3 to 1 Drummond would make his way back to the barn to find out how C Flight has faired on their way back home.

Well I played the game at the beginning of May but couldn’t find enough internet in Scotland or time to post it, I’m back home for a couple of days before heading south, probably without internet again but maybe not

Dave - Sorry I've buggered up the title and can't take Flash out of it, can you tell me how to do that? Cheers
    Last edited by flash; 05-23-2019 at 07:40. Reason: remove my nom de plume from the title !

Butchers Bill

Name:	045.JPG 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	268223
    Lt George Drummond – RTB - 0 Kills.

2/Lt Ruairidh MacNair – FRTB – 0 Kills
    I’ve given him FRTB because he flew off the table with rudder damage, although if he’d had more room he wouldn’t have left!

Name:	046.JPG 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	268224
    2nd Lt Hugh MacIver (P) FRTB (Engine Damage) – 0 Kills.

AM2 Alec MacGreggor (O) FRTB (Engine Damage) – 1 Kill (Whoopee)

Lt Charles Plaskitt-Smythe (P) FRTB (With a Wounded Observer) – 0 Kills

AM1 Raymond (Podgy) Pogson (O) FRTB / WIA – 0 Kills
    C and W Rolled 9 -1 WIA +1 Landed Safely = 9 All’s well when you land well.

It turned out that the bullet Podgy took to the leg had penetrated his hip flask, the whisky had mingled with the blood making it seem much worse than it was and the antiseptic properties of the alcohol had made it sting like buggery but had helped the healing process even though the loss of the malt nearly broke his heart.

Name:	042 P1410775 800.jpg 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	268225
    ObLtn Josef Scheidewind – RTB – 0 Kills

Ltn Otto Dehmisch – SD / FT – 0 Kills
    C and W - rolled 8 -1SD = 7 Injured, skip 1D2 rolled 5 = skip 2

Name:	043 P1410776 800.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	268226
    Ltn Franz Brauneck – RTB – WIA – 0 Kills.
    C and W Rolled 7 – 1WIA +1 Landed Safely = 7 = Injured - skip 1D2 rolled 6 = skip 2.

Ltn Paul Matthaei – RTB – 0 Kills.

Analogue
    Later that evening in the Mess C Flight were discussing the days mission , it hadn’t been a huge success but MacGreggor had got his 3rd Kill and was the leading scorer in C Flight, so the Twa Jocks were in great form, there were many jokes at Pogson’s expense but in the end he decided a flask of whisky was a small payment for not receiving a crippling wound. They had all made it back in one piece and the beer and spirits were flowing, conversation was loud and raucous and at a particularly loud point of the revelries, Rory leaned over and whispered in Drummonds ear.
    “After I recovered control of the DH2 I was well off our normal route back home and quite close to Mossyman Woods so I thought I’d just poke my nose over that way, just to see if there was anything to see”. Drummond looked at him sharply, “I didn’t think anyone knew about that he said quietly”. “Don’t be daft man” Rory said “we live, eat, breath and die together, of course we know about you, Lawless and Mossyman Wood, anyway as I flew towards it, a small smudge fire started, you know the sort of thing, not much fire but plenty of smoke. As soon as I started to descend to get a better look, it was covered over and extinguished, but about 20’ out into the field was a V made from two branches and 3 vertical branches next to it, is that what you were expecting?” Drummond just nodded.
    “OK are you going to tell me about it?” “Maybe later” was the rather terse reply, I need to think about this.
    Last edited by flash; 05-23-2019 at 09:36.

Great job, John. Beautiful aircraft and photos bring your story to life. (As usual)
    I see you are leaving us hanging like the serials of old - a nice touch.
    I always enjoy your tale-telling.
    I was going to question your use of Flashes in the title, but I see you noticed.

REP incoming as long as my Bullet Checker is working.

Thumbs up

Another Super story filled AAR John & chock full of action & daring do!

Congratulations on your FE's & DH-2's they look really super.
    Not sure you will like the Victory results though. Looks like a German Victory with all those Forced to Return to Base for your Doggies.

Rep inbound mate.

Everything you do is of such a high standard. How long does it take you to produce an AAR like this one?

More like a graphic novel imho. Well done.

What a great AAR. Makes my quick overview type AARs pale into insignificance

Great job, beautiful aircraft!

WOW! Just WOW. Everything was done to an amazing level of detail. First off, your writing was highly engaging. I loved your dry sense of humor! The planes themselves were works of art. Superb job! And great photos too! Thanks for pouring the time in to make this!

Very nicely done John, super story & visuals again.
    Dave - Sorry I've buggered up the title and can't take Flash out of it, can you tell me how to do that? Cheers.
    If you hit Edit Post then Go Advanced you can edit the title, as well as everything else
    Uncle says:

Well done chaps, bagged a Fokker so although the Tally would suggest it's a bloody draw it feels like a victory to me - time to get down the mess and open the slate.
    Last edited by flash; 05-23-2019 at 11:30.

"He is wise who watches"

Another epic tale John Like those DH2s lots - excellent paint job and lovely pics to boot. Good that everyone got back safely and congrats to AM2 Alec MacGreggor on his third kill - straight down to the local village for a bottle or four of something to celebrate REP inbound and thanks for the cracking good yarn

Sorry guys I replied to your kind comments the other day but they seem to have got lost somewhere in the ether.

Pete - thanks, I have a plan to end this cliffhanger, but it's not going as well as I'd hoped.

Barry yes I think it was a German victory, I forgot to add it up I was enjoying myself so much.

Gary - That's the sort of style I'm aiming for, Roy of the Rovers, if I could do a better job with the graphics I would like to get flashes and bangs on the photos.

Wayne I'm retired so probably have a bit more time than many.

Thanks Daniel

Cole I'm glad you liked it, I see you've started more videos, I very much enjoyed your last ones so look forward to watching these.

Dave thanks for the edit, I knew I could do if but just couldn't remember how.

Mike, it was only when I was looking at the photos I realized the strut stripes are wonky. When I did them I'm sure they were straight

Cheers

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Sorry guys I replied to your kind comments the other day but they seem to have got lost somewhere in the ether.

Pete - thanks, I have a plan to end this cliffhanger, but it's not going as well as I'd hoped.

Barry yes I think it was a German victory, I forgot to add it up I was enjoying myself so much.

Gary - That's the sort of style I'm aiming for, Roy of the Rovers, if I could do a better job with the graphics I would like to get flashes and bangs on the photos.

Wayne I'm retired so probably have a bit more time than many.

Thanks Daniel

Cole I'm glad you liked it, I see you've started more videos, I very much enjoyed your last ones so look forward to watching these.

Dave thanks for the edit, I knew I could do if but just couldn't remember how.

Mike, it was only when I was looking at the photos I realized the strut stripes are wonky. When I did them I'm sure they were straight

Cheers
    Actually John it was a DRAW. 3 points to you for shooting down an Eindekker & 3 points to the old Hun for forcing 3 aircraft of yours to return.
    It actually looked worse on paper because 2 of yours were 2 seaters!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Actually John it was a DRAW. 3 points to you for shooting down an Eindekker & 3 points to the old Hun for forcing 3 aircraft of yours to return.
    It actually looked worse on paper because 2 of yours were 2 seaters!
    You've made me feel so much better.

Well, Uncle did say it was a draw at the time ...
    And Mike.. MacGreggor has only two kills to date.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well, Uncle did say it was a draw at the time ...
    And Mike.. MacGreggor has only two kills to date.
    Dave that's my fault, I was convinced he had 2 previous kills but obviously not, although dont you remember the pigeon that went through the propellor, that must count as 1 bird? surely.

Not Speckled Jim ... And stop calling me Shirley

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Not Speckled Jim ... And stop calling me Shirley
    Humm Uncle Shirley has a nice ring to it, but I think I'll stick with Sir

You may be confusing Uncle with General Melchett...

Aunt Shirly ? Only at the weekends at the 'special' club.... Behhrr !

"He is wise who watches"

Nicely done John. Another tale well told. Lots of back and forth action and a bloody Hun bagged with everyone getting home. Can't complain with that.

Hunh. Sorry for being two months late, John, don't know how I missed this until now.

I do love the paint jobs on the deHavilands. ANd the continued narrative is top-notch story telling!

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-DYM Mission 5: Adler Tag-Team - 5th February 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-11-2019, 03:25
  2. AAR OTT-DYM Mission 5: Adler Tag-Team - 5th February 1916 by Zenlizard
    By zenlizard in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-18-2019, 18:51
  3. AAR OTT DYM Mission 5 - Adler Tag-Team - 5th February 1916
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13