Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wings of Glory Wednesdays YouTube series starting

Hello John! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! I agree, episodes dedicated solely to tactics sounds like a really good idea! I currently have a few episodes scheduled to release already, but in the future, I think I’ll do some tactics videos. Stuff like how to shake someone off your six or using climb rate to win fights.

And thanks about the D.VII! I spent quite a bit of time on that one.

In this week's Wings of Glory Wednesday, I take a look at the Siemens-Schuckert D.III - one of the Great War's most unique rotary-engines planes! (And if that wasn't enough, check out the custom red/white paint job mine is rocking. Not to brag, but it looks pretty snappy if I do say so myself!)

Disclaimer: Sooo...this episode (and next week's episode) were filmed before I vowed to start getting the "Immelmann" pronunciation right. I have put text in the video correcting my wayward tongue...but otherwise you'll just have to grin and bear it chaps. After these two episodes are out of the queue, it should be nothing but smooth flying and "IMMEL man" turns all 'round.

I am starting to look forward to Wednesdays more and more Cole.
    Thanks for another informative video.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Another good video, Cole. Well done!

In this week's Wings of Glory Wednesday, I get to look at probably the most-recognizable Great War airplane ever...the Fokker Dr 1 triplane!

"...Both tight turns to the left....."
    Wanna look at that again Cole ?

You might have mentioned that the Dr.1 has only 13 health points so disadvantaged against it's contemporaries and its average speed makes pursuit of all but the slowest tandems fruitless... and they're German unless you're using after market models !

"He is wise who watches"

Thank you for another good episode, Cole.

One small point - if you obtain a copy of the FAQ and errata sheet for the Wings of Glory rulebook from the Ares website, you will see that it says you cannot play an Immelmann turn in the same 3 card turn as a climb. https://www.aresgames.eu/6445

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    "...Both tight turns to the left....."
    Wanna look at that again Cole ?

You might have mentioned that the Dr.1 has only 13 health points so disadvantaged against it's contemporaries and its average speed makes pursuit of all but the slowest tandems fruitless... and they're German unless you're using after market models !
    Ack! You’re right; I should have said “right”! And good points about the speed not helping any sort of pursuit. I thought I mentioned the 13 damage points somewhere in there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you for another good episode, Cole.

One small point - if you obtain a copy of the FAQ and errata sheet for the Wings of Glory rulebook from the Ares website, you will see that it says you cannot play an Immelmann turn in the same 3 card turn as a climb. https://www.aresgames.eu/6445
    Wow! Then I’ve been playing the game wrong for years! Well...good to know that rule then. Thanks for bringing it to my atttention!

Happy Wednesday evening, everyone! In this week's Wings of Glory Wednesday, I have a look at the Bristol F2b kindly donated by Evan at Rival Sky Games. Quite a formidable little plane to field on the table! Also, watch to the end to see how you can have a chance to win a custom painted N.28!

Thumbs up

Nice effort on the Aussie Accent!
    Nothing like throwing in a few "Mates" to make it more authentic.

I really like the Bristol Fighter & painted up a Shapeways as Keith Park's (of Battle of Britain fame) one before Ares released their minis.

Name:  <acronym title=WSF Brisfit quarter rear.jpg Views: 937 Size: 129.2 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Name:  <acronym title=WSF Brisfit Top.jpg Views: 937 Size: 159.9 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Lol! Well, at least the "Aussie" accent attempt was brief. Hopefully it didn't sound like nails on the chalkboard haha! And wow...that is a beautiful paint-up on the Shapeways! Rep inbound!

My guess for the repaint job would be an Albatros Dv. Also I am thinking that if I had twin Lewis guns in the back of my Bristol I would not want to Immelmann.

Great job with the video as usual.

I'm sure that "Bristols" Hedeby (Never knowingly undergunned) will enjoy that even more than I Cole. Well done again that man.
    Kyte.

Very neat model Baz. I went the same route excepting that my Bristols were from Skytrex, and Reviresco.

Rob.

Well done again, Cole!

Hello everyone! First off, a brief little announcement: Wings of Glory Wednesdays will be downshifting to every other Wednesday. Real life has unexpectedly gotten busier since I started the series. Work has picked up, college is looming closer, aaand...I have a girlfriend now. That would explain where a lot of my free time's flown off to.

Name:  Photo Jun 23, 7 11 24 PM.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  247.4 KB

Still, I wanted to make sure I still was posting videos and didn't suddenly disappear. Thus, doing this every other week felt like a good compromise.

Anyhoo, today we look at an unofficial mini...the Brandenburg W.12 floatplane! (Speaking of floatplanes, this video also teases an even larger unofficial flying boat that will be floating/flying onto my channel in the future...)

Also, these are the last two weeks to submit a guess as to which mystery plane I'm painting up. Get it right and I will mail out a custom painted red and white N.28 miniature to your address. Watch to the end of the video for some clues as to what the mystery plane might be and submit your guesses in the YouTube comments below the video. (For those of you who have already guessed, you can guess a second time now that you have some more clues.) Happy guessing!

Last edited by HotleadColdfeet; 07-17-2019 at 20:07.

An interesting twist this Wednesday, Cole.
    Hello to your lady friend.

Nice work on the Hansa-Brandenburg

Bi-weekly should be fine.
    Keep 'em coming.

Thank you for the latest episode, Cole. It was an interesting choice of aircraft but since many two-seaters use the K manoeuvre deck much of what you said can apply to them also. Congratulations on finding your girlfriend!

Great news on the young lady friend Cole.

Thanks for another interesting Video. It may well induce me to paint my second Brandenburg which has been languishing in my "to do" box.
    I believe that they did do some local bombing along the North sea coast of England, but I doubt that the bombs carried were very substantial.

Here is a quick bit from Wiki.

The Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 was a German biplane fighter floatplane of World War I. It was a development of Ernst Heinkel's previous KDW, adding a rear cockpit for an observer/gunner, and had an unusual inverted tailfin/rudder (which instead of standing up from the fuselage, hung below it) in order to give an uninterrupted field of fire.

The W.12s (under the Naval designation C3MG) served on the Western Front, based at the Naval air bases at Ostend and Zeebrugge. The aircraft had some success, and one shot down the British airship C.27.

In April 1918, a W.12 made an emergency landing in the neutral territory of the Netherlands, where it was interned and flight tested by the Dutch. In 1919 the government of the Netherlands bought a licence to build the aircraft. 35 W.12s were subsequently manufactured by the Van Berkel company of Rotterdam as the W-A, serving with the Dutch Naval Air Service until 1933.

General characteristics.

• Crew: two (pilot & observer/gunner)
    • Length: 9.60 m (31 ft 6 in)
    • Wingspan: 11.20 m (36 ft 9 in)
    • Height: 3.30 m (10 ft 10 in)
    • Wing area: 36.20 m˛ (389.5 sq ft)
    • Empty weight: 997 kg (2,193 lb)
    • Loaded weight: 1,454 kg (3,206 lb)
    • Powerplant: 1 × Mercedes D.III 6-cylinder inline engine, 119 kW (160 hp)

Performance.

Armament.

• 1 or 2 × fixed forward 7.92 (0.312 in) lMG 08 machine guns
    • 1 × 7.92 (0.312 in) Parabellum MG14 in rear cockpit

Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 07-18-2019 at 11:41.

Thanks gents!

And wow, excellent information Rob. Thank you!

I have thoroughly enjoyed your Wings of Glory Wednesdays. And congratulations on getting yourself a girlfriend Cole. My daughter Zoe has watched some of your videos on youtube with me, and now wants to play Wings of Glory with Daddy.

When I was contemplating whether to get Wings of Glory WW1 I discovered your videos playing the game with your younger brother, the "Furious Flea." I bought the game for my kids for Christmas and it has been a blast. Thanks for getting this game known to others who at first may have just started out with a passing interest. I'm sure that I am not the only one who recognizes your contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by John n Colorado View Post
    When I was contemplating whether to get Wings of Glory WW1 I discovered your videos playing the game with your younger brother, the "Furious Flea." I bought the game for my kids for Christmas and it has been a blast. Thanks for getting this game known to others who at first may have just started out with a passing interest. I'm sure that I am not the only one who recognizes your contributions.
    Aw, that is so neat to hear! I’m glad the playthrough videos helped get you into the hobby! I’m afraid to say once the WW1 aviation bug has bitten you, there’s no going back. You’re a goner my friend...in the best possible way of course!

Hi Cole - I finally caught up with the rest of your videos, thanks and well done for creating content to attract newcomers as well as inform us about some planes we may not have in our collections.
    I liked the Aussie accent, sounded pretty good to me mate.

Just waiting for tomorrow's episode.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Hi Cole - I finally caught up with the rest of your videos, thanks and well done for creating content to attract newcomers as well as inform us about some planes we may not have in our collections.
    I liked the Aussie accent, sounded pretty good to me mate.
    Hey there John! Glad you're enjoying the videos! Haha, and thanks about the accent attempt! I've always thought the Aussie accent(s) were super cool, and I couldn't help trying myself. Heaven help me should I ever take a trip to Australia. When I come back, my way of speaking may never be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Just waiting for tomorrow's episode.
    Rob.
    Nice! I'm actually filming it now!

Hello pilots! In today's Wings of Glory Wednesdays episode, I take a look at the venerable Sopwith Camel. Also, the identity of the mystery aircraft and the winner of the painted N.28 giveaway has been announced! You can see it all here:

Just watched the video (and yes, commented).

Suggestion for some future videos: an examination of the "Ace" ability cards. Not all are created equal. And especially helpful when conducting a campaign game.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Just watched the video (and yes, commented).

Suggestion for some future videos: an examination of the "Ace" ability cards. Not all are created equal. And especially helpful when conducting a campaign game.
    Thanks for the suggestion! That is a great idea! To be honest, I’ve never used the Ace card abilities before. I’ll definitely have to look into how those work. Then I’ll definitely have to make a video on it in the future.

Thank you for your new video, Cole, and congratulations to Rommel!

In addition to its actual achievements the Sopwith Camel is famous in fiction as the aircraft 'flown' by Snoopy from the Peanuts comic strip and the British ace Biggles in several of his books.

Great video as usual Cole.
    My favourite aircraft under the spotlight.
    Kyte.

Hello pilots! In today's Wings of Glory Wednesdays episode, I lay out and explain my basic setup for painting these lovely little planes. Since I'm in the process of painting a couple now, I'll share some of the more in depth tricks I've learned in a future video or two. Stay tuned!

Thank you for all the advice in this video, Cole. It is useful.

Nice description of a simple painting set up.

I'm interested to see how you do the masking, I've only done it a couple of times on planes and didn't get a good clean edge, so ended doing it freehand. It was easier freehand by having a straight, if fuzzy edge from the mask but it would be nice to just do it once.

I use sable brushes for miniatures painting and left one stood in a pot of water for a while and I couldnt get the hairs straight afterwards, don't you have that problem?

Yeah, very nice work indeed. I would also like to see the actual painting or at least the masking and the work with the roundels.
    How do you get the maneuver decks? I thought about scanning and printing them out via a company that uses the exact size of the cards and that has a way better printer that I will ever have...

Nice work, Cole. Be sure to convert your lady friend to WOG!

Thank you for all the advice in this video, Cole. It is useful.
    Thanks David! I'm glad to hear it was helpful!

Nice description of a simple painting set up.

I'm interested to see how you do the masking, I've only done it a couple of times on planes and didn't get a good clean edge, so ended doing it freehand. It was easier freehand by having a straight, if fuzzy edge from the mask but it would be nice to just do it once.

I use sable brushes for miniatures painting and left one stood in a pot of water for a while and I couldnt get the hairs straight afterwards, don't you have that problem?
    Glad you liked it John! Yes, I've had that issue with some brushes. Not all of them though, and the ones that do have that issue I guess I've just learned to live with. I can always get new brushes anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Fix View Post
    Yeah, very nice work indeed. I would also like to see the actual painting or at least the masking and the work with the roundels.
    How do you get the maneuver decks? I thought about scanning and printing them out via a company that uses the exact size of the cards and that has a way better printer that I will ever have...
    Hey Felix! I plan to put some of the actual painting/masking on film, so stay tuned! As far as decks go, I honestly have so many miniatures that I just borrow the appropriate one from its respective miniature when I need it for a custom plane. I'd be interested to hear what others have done though!

Quote Originally Posted by Saylug View Post
    Nice work, Cole. Be sure to convert your lady friend to WOG!
    Thanks other John! We'll see what she thinks of it in due time, I'm sure.

Hello ladies and gents! I haven't had time to continue work on my painting projects yet, so this week's Wings of Glory Wednesdays episode focuses on some basic dogfighting tactics. Specifically, I use a Camel and Dr 1 to demonstrate some ways you can shake an opponent off your tail and get back into the fight.

Thank you for that video, Cole. You crammed a great deal into that, so please do not be upset, if I add one or two suggestions. The Fokker Dr.1 has two wide side-slip cards, which can be very effective and as the Camel is not so good at turning to the left, left turns might be useful.

However, there is one aspect, which could mess up any evasion plan and that is the Tailing rules, which you did not mention at all. Perhaps they merit a separate video.

Another fortnight passes! Wow.
    Thanks Cole.
    Rob.

Where is the +1 altitude rule from?

Quote Originally Posted by jwclere View Post
    Where is the +1 altitude rule from?
    Firing from above - Page 19 WGF RAP John.

"He is wise who watches"

A thought provoking video this time, thanks Cole.

Because I only play solo and against an AI system and there's usually quite a lot of planes on the table I tend to concentrate on just keeping it all moving along without forgetting too many of the rules. I almost never get a 1 on 1 situation where I'm controlling one of the planes. So the more subtle tactics tend to pass me by.
    I found your thoughts on altitude enlightening.
    Cheers

Thank you for that video, Cole. You crammed a great deal into that, so please do not be upset, if I add one or two suggestions. The Fokker Dr.1 has two wide side-slip cards, which can be very effective and as the Camel is not so good at turning to the left, left turns might be useful.

However, there is one aspect, which could mess up any evasion plan and that is the Tailing rules, which you did not mention at all. Perhaps they merit a separate video.
    Quite true! I should have remembered the sideslip on the Dr 1. That is definitely another very viable option to slam on the breaks and force an overshoot. Also, yes, I believe a separate video for tailing should be in order in the future.

A thought provoking video this time, thanks Cole.

Because I only play solo and against an AI system and there's usually quite a lot of planes on the table I tend to concentrate on just keeping it all moving along without forgetting too many of the rules. I almost never get a 1 on 1 situation where I'm controlling one of the planes. So the more subtle tactics tend to pass me by.
    I found your thoughts on altitude enlightening.
    Cheers
    Thanks John! Multi-plane engagements are a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Pure chaos, like the real air battles of WW1. But even then, every once and awhile, it may momentarily break down into a 1 v 1 situation where you and your foe are jockeying for that killing shot. Glad you found the video informative!

Hello fellow enthusiasts! In today's Wings of Glory Wednesdays episode, I'll go over a Central Powers two seater that I have a particular soft spot for: The Halberstadt CL.II.

Also, more repainting episodes are definitely on the way! I've just been busy with work + college, etc. and haven't had the opportunity to paint yet.

Nicely done Cole, the Immelmann is useful but don't forget that your rear gunner cannot fire on the cards before,during or after an Immelmann turn (check p.24 RAP rules) so you may lose shooting opportunities by using it but it can get you out of a tight spot.

"He is wise who watches"

Another good video , Cole. I like the paint scheme of the yellow and orange model, too.

The Halberstadt CL.II has one other less well known advantage. If you are playing with altitude rules, its observer's gun has a 360 degree firing arc when shooting at targets at a higher altitude. You can find that in the FAQs thread here https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ht=Halberstadt

Another good video Cole, and once again it has elicited a couple of useful responses for new pilots to note.
    Thanks chaps.
    Rob.

Another great video! The Halberstadt CL.II is my favorite two seater too

Indeed another great video! Love the idea and the effort

Btw, Daniel, I'm waiting for your response^^

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Wings of Glory videos on YouTube?
    By HotleadColdfeet in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 12-18-2018, 13:17
  2. Wings of Glory WWI / Series VII
    By celticgriffon in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10