Ares Games
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wings of Glory Wednesdays YouTube series starting

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Nicely done Cole, the Immelmann is useful but don't forget that your rear gunner cannot fire on the cards before,during or after an Immelmann turn (check p.24 RAP rules) so you may lose shooting opportunities by using it but it can get you out of a tight spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Another good video , Cole. I like the paint scheme of the yellow and orange model, too.

The Halberstadt CL.II has one other less well known advantage. If you are playing with altitude rules, its observer's gun has a 360 degree firing arc when shooting at targets at a higher altitude. You can find that in the FAQs thread here https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ht=Halberstadt
    Excellent info guys! Thank you!

Hello everyone! On this fine Wednesday evening, I showcase my method for applying decals to Wings of Glory WW1 miniatures. Enjoy!

Thanks buddy, that's what I'm talking about

Another fine demonstration Cole.
    I usually use warm water for the decal as it speeds up the removal from the backing.
    Also a flatter brush which I pick up the Decal with instead of getting grease from fingers onto the surface.
    Do you Matte varnish over the Decals after application of the Micro Sol?

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thank you for that useful video, Cole.

Thank you for the video!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Another fine demonstration Cole.
    I usually use warm water for the decal as it speeds up the removal from the backing.
    Also a flatter brush which I pick up the Decal with instead of getting grease from fingers onto the surface.
    Do you Matte varnish over the Decals after application of the Micro Sol?

Rob.
    Thanks Rob! Usually I don't but I probably should. Do you have any products you'd recommend?

Happy late Wednesday evening all! (Or early Thursday morning for you European and Pacific folk.) Today's Wings of Glory Wednesdays episode features a two seater absolutely capable of chewing up scouts and spitting them out...the Hannover CL.IIIa!

The strength of the Hannover is not that unusual, the UfAG C.I, Halberstadt CL.II, Bristol Fighter also have 16 damage points, many other tandems have 15 damage points but it is one of the toughest German types. The Immel along with the hard turns are what makes it unusual. It also has a reduced blindspot to the rear, there is no blindspot at the same level, it is effective only against targets at lower altitude, and if using altitude has a 360 arc for targets above it as do Roland C.II/C.IIa, Bristol F2B Fighter, Halberstadt CL.II. (Link)
    There has been a suggestion that it should also be able to engage targets to the front at the same level using the front arc as the blindspot (so as not to shoot the prop !) as some of them have hoops mounted on the top wing to prevent this happening.

The Bristol Fighter is probably the most effective tandem for speed, manoeuvres, strength & (potential) armament, the Hannover a very close second in my opinion.

The reason you think fire is more prevalent in the B deck is because it is - it has two fire damage cards versus the A decks one (a 1 in 22 v 1 in 35 chance); if you play with multiple decks, as many do, then you will see it more frequently than you'd like !
    Last edited by flash; 10-10-2019 at 01:55.

"He is wise who watches"

Nice video!

Thank you for another good video, Cole.

I agree with Dave about the Bristol Fighter and the Hannover. Anyone who has flown against 'Whispering Death' and her purple and black Roland C.II will know that it too can be a dangerous machine because of the observer's wide field of fire. The D.H.4 has the advantage that it is as fast as the fastest German fighter but it is not particularly manoeuvrable, which you would expect from a bomber.

Thanks for the comments on the two seaters, everyone! I'll be taking notes for a future video.

In today's Wings of Glory Wednesdays episode, I have a look at a classic Great War matchup: The Sopwith Camel vs the Albatros D.Va!

Nice video! Great job explaining what to do if your on a Camel's tail or he's on your tail!

A few thoughts: If an Albatros is on a Camel's tail, the Camel pilot may be able to 'pull a bluff' by turning left because the Albatros pilot is expecting the Camel to turn right;
    If the 'Tailing rules' are being applied it makes it even harder for the plane in front to escape.

Another great video Cole.
    Just one point. If you Immel straight after a dive it would be an illegal move.
    Rob.

Another good video. Thanks for posting.

Yes, thanks for that, Cole!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Great advice for rookie pilots such as myself. Appreciate the video

Glad it was helpful, guys!

A few thoughts: If an Albatros is on a Camel's tail, the Camel pilot may be able to 'pull a bluff' by turning left because the Albatros pilot is expecting the Camel to turn right;
    If the 'Tailing rules' are being applied it makes it even harder for the plane in front to escape.
    Good points David! It's all about getting in your opponent's head. If you as the Camel pilot predict that the Alby pilots is thinking that you'll turn right, then yes indeed a left should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Another great video Cole.
    Just one point. If you Immel straight after a dive it would be an illegal move.
    Rob.
    Really? I thought I'd read in the rules that doing this would be considered a Split-S manuever and was legal? But perhaps that could have been in the WW2 rules. Anyway, thanks for the clarification!

Nice video, Cole!

Quote Originally Posted by HotleadColdfeet View Post

Really? I thought I'd read in the rules that doing this would be considered a Split-S manuever and was legal? But perhaps that could have been in the WW2 rules. Anyway, thanks for the clarification!
    Hi Cole.
    Split -s is Stall, Immelmann, Straight.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by HotleadColdfeet View Post
    Ah, no. At least in the RAP for WGF, the Split-S is the stall followed by the Immelmann card, followed by the straight card. Not sure about WGS, the only experience I've had is watching a couple of WGS games.

Snap Sam.
    Rob.

In the WW2 game, you come OUT of an Immel at 'Slow' speed on your 'Straight' card, not on a 'Stall'

Immels and Split-S must ALWAYS be followed by a 'Straight' card, never a 'Stall'

Can honestly say I have never used a split-s in a WW2 game Tim.
    Rob.

Ah, thanks guys! Perhaps a fresh read-through of the manual is order for me.

Anyway, here's this week's episode...

Love it or hate it, today's episode features one of the 4 original miniature types to be brought to Wings of War/Glory: the SPAD XIII!

Thank you for another good video, Cole. It is a useful summary of the SPAD XIII's abilities.

You recommended the Duel packs to new players. They were a good introduction to the game but they have been out of production for a long time and they are now as rare as hen's teeth.

The 'crossover reversals' by the pair of SPADs are the basis of a tactic called the 'Thach weave' invented in the Second World War by Lt. Commander James Thach of the U.S. Navy. You have to beware of collisions though.

You can be my wingman any time Cole. These videos are excellent. Very helpful for rookie pilots.

When you get behind a tandem lose altitude and get under its tail in it's blindspot (if it has one!), use the stall to maintain position and shoot it up or climb onto the same level for a close range burst. Not easily done, depending on your opponents behaviour, but does work.
    With fast wide turning aircraft against slower but narrower turning models try side slipping the opposite way first then make your turn. It can sometimes throw out the following machine's pilot and may result in you getting a shot on him, if not that turn then in the next.
    Weaving depends on communication/collusion between pilots and not easy to pull off.

"He is wise who watches"

Hello chaps! December has been a quiet month on my channel due to college finals and then the whirlwind of family activities that is the Christmas season. I'll be back on track with more videos in January.

With today being Christmas Day, I wanted to take a moment to wish all you fine fellows at the Aerodrome a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! May you all have safe travels, a blessed holiday season, and bright things ahead in 2020.

Thanks Cole.
    Have a very good Christmas, and a bit of relaxation for yourself.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Thanks Cole & the best of wishes to you & your family.

Hello everyone! After a month's break for college finals/the holidays, we're back in the saddle with Wings of Glory Wednesdays! Today's episode features my thoughts on the best two-seaters currently available in Wings of Glory/Wings of War. Enjoy!

That just about echoes my thoughts about two seaters too. Thanks for posting.

Thank you for another good video, Cole. Another couple of two-seaters worthy of a mention are the Airco D.H.4 and the Ufag C.1. Neither have any fancy manoeuvres but the are both as fast as the best German fighters (they use the H deck), the D.H.4 has 15 damage points and the Ufag 16, the British D.H.4's climb on a 2 with a ceiling of 15, the American D.H.4's climb on a 4 with a ceiling of 12 whilst the Ufag climbs on a 5 with a ceiling of 11. They have various weapon loads available from the basic B/B for both through the experimental A/B Ufag to the A/B, B/A, A/A and even the anti-Zeppelin AB/B of some D.H.4's.
    Last edited by Naharaht; 01-13-2020 at 18:49.

Good effort Cole, you neglected to mention that the Hannover has a reduced rear blind spot due to its special tail design:the blind spot is effective only against targets at lower altitude, while the sight to target at the same altitude is not blocked. Quite useful info.
    You also neglected to mention that the Bristol Fighter & the Halberstadt, like the Hannover & Roland, also have the option of the 360 arc of fire at targets above them, though you did mention the Halberstadt's capability when talking about the Roland... !
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Aircraft-lt-lt

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for the video, Cole.

I would have emphasised the Hannover having NO rear blind spot against targets at the SAME altitude (specific to its tail design). It has the usual rear blind spot against targets at a LOWER altitude.

Also, it is not possible to fire the Roland's forward and rear guns both at the same target at a higher level - you can fire the rear (in 360 mode) OR the front, but not both.
    They CAN, as you demonstrated, both simultaneously engage a single target at the SAME altitude if both firing arcs clip the enemy's base.

The Bristol Fighter's second front gun is my pet hate of the entire game system - it was only ever fitted to ONE aircraft, and that plane only ever flew ONE mission with it; the presence of the overwing gun affected the rear-wing-edge compass, so that the plane became lost and barely made it back to its own airfield.
    The pilot (and innovator of this particular gun mounting) had his ground crew remove the mounting and it was thrown onto the airfield scrap heap! No other Bristol Fighters ever carried a second forward gun outside of the UK home-defence squadrons, but unfortunately Ares ignored all this and produced one third of their production run as representing this one plane on this singular sortie!
    <<rant over - until the next time!>>

Thank you for another good video, Cole. Another couple of two-seaters worthy of a mention are the Airco D.H.4 and the Ufag C.1. Neither have any fancy manoeuvres but the are both as fast as the best German fighters (they use the H deck), the D.H.4 has 15 damage points and the Ufag 16, the British D.H.4's climb on a 2 with a ceiling of 15, the American D.H.4's climb on a 4 with a ceiling of 12 whilst the Ufag climbs on a 5 with a ceiling of 11. They have various weapon loads available from the basic B/B for both through the experimental A/B Ufag to the A/B, B/A, A/A and even the anti-Zeppelin AB/B of some D.H.4's.
    Great observations, David! Those are some worthy types to mention! My next video actually features the UFAG!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Good effort Cole, you neglected to mention that the Hannover has a reduced rear blind spot due to its special tail design:the blind spot is effective only against targets at lower altitude, while the sight to target at the same altitude is not blocked. Quite useful info.
    You also neglected to mention that the Bristol Fighter & the Halberstadt, like the Hannover & Roland, also have the option of the 360 arc of fire at targets above them, though you did mention the Halberstadt's capability when talking about the Roland... !
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Aircraft-lt-lt
    Thanks for the info, Dave! Can't believe I forgot that. I actually had it printed out but forgot to mention the Bristol & Halberstadt alongside the Roland and Hannover. Regarding blind spots, I'll have to do some research. I don't think I ever fully grasped how those work, especially since I learned the game from the old 2D card game instructions. Time to take a fresh look, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Thanks for the video, Cole.

I would have emphasised the Hannover having NO rear blind spot against targets at the SAME altitude (specific to its tail design). It has the usual rear blind spot against targets at a LOWER altitude.

Also, it is not possible to fire the Roland's forward and rear guns both at the same target at a higher level - you can fire the rear (in 360 mode) OR the front, but not both.
    They CAN, as you demonstrated, both simultaneously engage a single target at the SAME altitude if both firing arcs clip the enemy's base.

The Bristol Fighter's second front gun is my pet hate of the entire game system - it was only ever fitted to ONE aircraft, and that plane only ever flew ONE mission with it; the presence of the overwing gun affected the rear-wing-edge compass, so that the plane became lost and barely made it back to its own airfield.
    The pilot (and innovator of this particular gun mounting) had his ground crew remove the mounting and it was thrown onto the airfield scrap heap! No other Bristol Fighters ever carried a second forward gun outside of the UK home-defence squadrons, but unfortunately Ares ignored all this and produced one third of their production run as representing this one plane on this singular sortie!
    <<rant over - until the next time!>>
    Thanks for the info regarding the Roland, Tim! And wow, I never realized that the Bristol's overwing gun was only ever fitted to one aircraft! I didn't know the history behind this; thanks for sharing!

Hello everyone! In this week's Wings of Glory Wednesdays episode, I look at the Austrian UFAG C.I two seater!

At least one of the more recent Ares Ufag C.I models (Ufag C.I {161-37)) has an experimental weapons card allowing it to have two synchronized forward firing machine guns.

Thank you for producing he video about the Ufag C.I, Cole. I am quite fond of them because of their shape and colour schemes.

Oh, that's very nice! I recently bought a UFAG myself and I really like this plane
    UFAG is short for Ungarische Flugzeugfabrik AG (Hungarian Aircraftfactory AG), not sure what the AG stands for, normally in german it's Aktiengesellschaft (joint-stock company). It's pronounced more like Uf*ck

At least one of the more recent Ares Ufag C.I models (Ufag C.I {161-37)) has an experimental weapons card allowing it to have two synchronized forward firing machine guns...
    Just on the one David -
    Experimental Armament:
    In 1918 a second frontal machine gun was tried on the UFAG C.I. This special armament was never adopted to standard production. When this airplane fires in its frontal firing arc it deals A damage cards, instead of B cards.
    (s.3a - WGF205A Ufag C.I)

It is a challenge when intercepting these aircraft - if they get separation only a SPAD XIII will have a chance to catch up.

"He is wise who watches"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Missions

1. Wings of Glory videos on YouTube?
    By HotleadColdfeet in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 12-18-2018, 13:17
  2. Wings of Glory WWI / Series VII
    By celticgriffon in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-07-2017, 10:07
  3. Clash of Wings 13 x 49 min - WWII series on youtube