Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.K. Games Expo, NEC Birmingham 31/5 to 2/6

Default U.K. Games Expo, NEC Birmingham 31/5 to 2/6

Anyone here going to this? Ares are going to be there so I suppose it’s an opportunity to see what they are up to and bitch about the T&T delays. Hopefully I might be able to get a few games of BSG in and get lessons in rock avoidance .
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I'm going. Apparently Ares will be doing some kind of BSG large scale battle where you get to keep your ship. Not sure if it costs to participate or not. Tripods will be there to demo too, but not to buy.

At Origins you pay Ares & are provided with a model that you keep after the game. Likely the same here.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Anyone here going to this? Ares are going to be there so I suppose it’s an opportunity to see what they are up to and bitch about the T&T delays. Hopefully I might be able to get a few games of BSG in and get lessons in rock avoidance .
    You must know this one then Steve
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukbu9dmmzJg

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Birmingham Expo.

Just got this E-Mail.
    Did anyone get one in March? I certainly did not.
    Rob.

Good afternoon all

I hope you are well, I am chasing to see if anyone would like to come along and help Ares Games at the UK Games Expo May 31st - 2nd June.
    I did not hear back from my email in March so I assumed that there was no immediate interest but I know we would still love to see you all if you are coming. If you would like to help and work some time please do drop me a line immediately as we know you would be great demonstrators!
    Talk soon
    Laurence
    Ares Games UK
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

First I’ve heard of a March email, and I didn’t get this. I’m wondering if, you having just got this, Laurence whoever he is has had Roberto on to him and he is just covering his a**e by saying he sent one out. Seems strange half a dozen emails all went AWOL.

Rob, does the email give any clue as to Laurence’s identity?

My feelings exactly Steve, especially coming so soon after Neil getting onto Roberto. Also until neil's post how could he have known of our Private E-mail addresses? He certainly should not have had mine legally in March!

No info released on who that masked stranger is.
    Rob.

Attached to the email received yesterday was anotherdated march, with allour emails in the header, but I didnt get.

When you say - all our e-mails Neil - do you mean everyone's or just you, Steve & Rob ? I certainly haven't had anything from Ares about this. You'd think if they wanted our support that Roberto would just post it here on the forum !

"He is wise who watches"

I didn’t get an email either. Look why don’t we just go direct to Roberto and organise everything ourselves next year... just a thought !

Let’s be honest, ARES couldn’t find people with more of a vested interest than us.
    Last edited by Hedeby; 05-28-2019 at 08:19.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Unfortunately Chris, there is a caveat for Games expo.
    For three years we did attend and put on displays and the organisers were very happy, I believe, that w3 attended, Wings and Sails are both games that can be picked up very quickly and can be played by all the family.
    But some traders complained that we were giving free advertisement to Ares and they were not only not at the show but were not paying for this pushing of their products. Thus a couple of years ago we were politely refused entry to put on the display.

To get into the expo and put on a display we would have to pay the going rate for tables snd space, so the organisation to the show commitee would have to come via Ares, we cannot do this as the wargames will only be allowed if affiliated with a company who has paid for the right to attend.
    That was my understanding at the time.

Would it not make sense for us to help run the ARES stall along with this Lawrence chap.
    Probably worth talking to Roberto about.
    Last edited by Hedeby; 05-28-2019 at 08:18.

Good thinking Chris. Closer links with our parent body can only be beneficial.
    Rob.

Surely there can’t be a better set of representatives for ARES and its products than this esteemed body... probably need one focal point but there would be loads of support... and if ARES run short of stock we can always go to Tim, lol

Rob.

Laurence has emailed me saying he got in touch in March. Nothing received by me. Roberto had all the addresses anyway. Has anyone received anything? Laurence cc or added you into the address line.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

I checked through my mails Neil and for the date I not received anything, neither did Dave Manley, Rob, Steve or Chris to name a few. Dont know why, not in my spam either

... I have nothing, methinks there has been a communication breakdown somewhere... I blame technology... didn’t have these issues with pigeons lol
    Last edited by Hedeby; 05-28-2019 at 08:16.

Well Laurence reckons Chris (?) has answered his email today, which Chris he does not mention.

from Laurence today (copy of March email included in his email today):

laurence.obrien@aresgames.eu
    22:26 (48 minutes ago)

to me

HI Neil
    I am not sure what went crazy, I attach a snap of the sent mail. I should have chased more.
    I will try to get on the forums to chase the others, Chris came back so looking at what we can arrange this week.
    Thanks again for your support, looking forward to meeting all.
    Kind regards

“I should have chased more”. Well, no s**t Sherlock! Interesting that he has an Ares.eu email address though.

Not me Guv... honest

OK, Laurence O'Brien is the Chief Executive of Wotan Games https://www.wotangames.co.uk/. He's mentioned on a news item on Ares site last year.

Looks as if he was at last year's UKGE pimping Sails of Glory, and is there again this year. Another stand I need to go along and have a chat with.

That's one mystery solved, just leaves the mystery of the 'missing' emails.....

That’s very interesting... butter him up Steve, would 100% like a place at the table (as it were) next year.

That may very well interest my chaps who only do Sails.
    May I mention your discovery to them and quote your message Steve?
    Rob.

Seems he 'volunteered' to be the Ares UKRep at Games Expo.

I've looked back, and don't have any email message either.

Mind you, I don't recall supplying my email addy to this site - it certainly doesn't appear on my Profile page.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Strangely, Wotan Games does not appear to sell either 'Wings of Glory' or 'Sails of Glory' in their online store.

Thanks for that David... what with WW1, WW2, Sails, Tripods and shortly Battlestar Galactica as well, think that gives us lots more we could be involved with...
    Last edited by Hedeby; 05-28-2019 at 08:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    That may very well interest my chaps who only do Sails.
    May I mention your discovery to them and quote your message Steve?
    Rob.
    Knock yourself out Rob.

The Chris mentioned was me, I replied to his email asking about this weekend.
    I am waiting a responce my questioning, how many ofus needed, what recompense and can he get us tickets and parking permits.

Looking at the email sent in March it was addressed to me, Hedeby and FO Kyte what is strange though is it is headined as though sent from Italy, so maybe thats why it did not arrive, only surmising here.

While waiting a response, who could do the show this weekend and which system would you prefer and what days?
    Just incase I get asked. The show starts Friday.
    I would prefer Sails but I am sure we could arrange things to suit all.
    As for Wotan, did they not originally purchase Stafford games from Roland, theyhad some sails kit, but that was a couple of years ago.
    Anyway I will keep you chaps informed. If not this year I will see what we can get arranged for next.

Just had a long and enjoyable and informative conversation with Lawrence, talking about Ares and plans for the uk in the future.
    Nothing about releases I am afraid but plans on venues and demoing etc and he is keen to involve us.
    I will jot down parts of the conversation and post shortly, Lawrence is a forum member but not been in for a while, which he will be changing, so looking good from our perspective.
    As for the weekend he has one ticket which I will try and attend to get more info and make arrangements for the future including hopefully possibly attending Doncaster at some point which would be beneficial I think.
    Anyway more details later on.

Brilliant news Chris, well done that man. Nice to hear Lawrence is actually a forum member as well.
    Sounds like we may be able to have a much closer and mutually beneficial relationship with ARES moving forward.
    Everyone’s a winner !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post

While waiting a response, who could do the show this weekend and which system would you prefer and what days?
    Just incase I get asked. The show starts Friday.
    Well, I'm going on Friday but I'm not about to volunteer, especially not after already paying for travel, hotel and entry ticket. Hopefully if we do get involved in the future we will get more than a couple of days notice...…..

Just coming back from UKGE on the Virgin Trains cattle truck. Couldn’t find anybody useful to talk to on Ares or Wotan stand, hopefully Chris will have more luck tomorrow. Ares had about 8 tables demo’ing all their wares, including WGS, BSG and TnT. No demo of Sails (hurrah says Tim, boo says Chris). I had a go or two of TnT and was pleasantly surprised to find that the rules work quite nicely. Pics to follow of my endeavours.

Interestingly a few stands (3 I think) other than Blood Red Skies were showing WW2 aerial games, albeit small model aircraft (looked about 1/350 or smaller) on a playing board representing the south coast of England. One was called 303 Squadron, so Andrzej May want to look this one up.

On the whole a jolly day out, and although 95% of the stands were of no interest, still managed to lose three hundred squids along the way. Now all I have to do is smuggle several large bags and a couple of 4’ map cases past Checkpoint Mrs Guntruck when I get home.

Glad you seem to have had a good time Steve, not so though about being able to chat with Ares as I believe not only was Lawrence about but Roberto from Ares was also there.
    I will try and tie down both to orrow or Sunday.

In the meantime a bit more for all after my initial conversation with Ares UK.

Lawrence is quite keen to harness our experience in demoing Wings and Sails in all its forms, but this may have a couple of drawbacks gor us.
    He is wanting to get Ares a bit more in the fore and wants to take Wings et al to large shows and more importantly to big museums, this to try and get them to stock Wings and to assist in this he wants to Demo the games, which is where we may come in.
    Its early days as yet and I need to clarify a few things, such as we may only be able to use Ares models when we promoting Ares.
    On the good side we may see items more readily available as they will be going in to Ares UK, Lawrence is already aware of the lack of stock and the bottleneck so things may improve here.
    Ares uk are slso aware of the lack of Ares support and he has said he will look into this side of things, I have also mentioned our Doncaster meet andI am hoping to persuade him to pop along, bringing some stock if possible but we will see.
    However one thing we will make clear is although we happy to help promote and assist Ares we will remain independant and not become Ares.
    As said I hope to be able to speak more over the weekend and I will keep us updated.

Well all my planes are ARES, I don’t even have any reprints. I think most of us have enough ‘original ‘ planes so the ARES only thing shouldn’t be an issue. I’m more than happy to get involved.

Chris and I spoke about this at length yesterday, and as soon as we have more information on what is on the table (no pun intended) we will take the ideas to Keith for his approval before committing to anything. I would like to thank Chris and any other members involved for their efforts thus far.
    Rob.

A pic of Ares showcase at UKGE

I had a quick but enjoyable game of TnT while I was there. The mission was for myself and A.N. Other to provide proof of Martian existence on Earth by photographing a Tripod from the rear from within half range after a stall manoeuvre and then getting the hell out of Doge before the Tripod destroyed three target towns. Have to say it didn't go well for the Earthlings: As the Tripod could more or less turn on the spot it was difficult to get within half range of its chuff.

Here's the villain of the peace moving towards its first target:

Pilot Office A.N. Other trying to catch it before it destroys the town. At this point the Tripod let out a cloud of gas from its rear end and A.N. O flew through it and came over all peculiar.

Where, you may ask, was the gallant Guntruck at this time? As his compadre was proving a bit Gung Ho he was being a bit more circumspect to see what happened to him first.

Having destroyed Town No 1 the Tripod turns for Town No 2, wrong-footing A.N. Other

However, I got into a favourable position for a shot. It's shield stopped any physical damage but special damage jammed its death ray or whatever it was armed with. Sadly I didn't get to half range off of a stall manoeuvre otherwise we could of won this game.

I get another shot at it doing minimal damage, but by this time Town 2 is crispy dog meat.

Off to town No 3 - Birmingham - for a bit of urban improvement

Both pilots got it wrong big time and ended up chasing the beggar as it sat over town 3

A bit of last minute retribution from me and it was Game Over.

Surprised Pilot Officer A.N. Other didn't let out a cloud of noxious gas from his rear end running into that beastie Steve ! Nice AAR on the skirmish.

"He is wise who watches"

Many at the table when you played Steve ?

Varied between 2 to 6 at most tables, but this was about 10-ish on the first day so I would think it would get a bit busier today.

You have to hope Lots of BSG on Ares et al Facebook. Tripes could come a lowly second in the pop charts with Wings & Sails trailing a close 3rd.

Nice to see the Tripods in action at last Steve. I wonder if you would have had a better chance if the Tripod was distracted by having to spend time crisping the Ground forces and Artillery defending Birmingham?
    Food for thought for our games when they arrive.

Rob.

The Tripod sat on the town and drained energy from it. This took one move, so I’m not sure if there was anything in the rules that would have slowed down the process. Hopefully not long before we all find out.....

So they do exist!
    Rob.

It sounds like Ares is making a big presence at this event. Christoph is supposed to be there as well.

Yes Keith, it was heartening to see that they were demonstrating a lot of their games, not just the ones we like playing on this forum. It looks like they had a massive BSG battle going on on Saturday, hopefully Chris can fill us in when he reports back. On Friday though I saw no sign of a SoG or WGF game, although they may have been running these later in the day or weekend.

The large BSG game was the first episode in their "33" campaign which will be featured at a number of major events this year. UKGE was the opening event.

https://www.aresgames.eu/23333

Thanks for the Heads up Dave.
    Rob.

SOG is one of the games being played today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Games Expo 2017.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-15-2017, 04:25
  2. 3rd-5th June: Games Expo, Birmingham NEC.
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 06-09-2016, 09:31
  3. Games Expo 2015 Birmingham 29 to 31 May
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 06-07-2015, 03:27
  4. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-28-2014, 11:00
  5. UK Games Expo 2013
    By Cobra in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 1