Ares Games

Thread: OTT DYM Mission 5--5th Feb 1916 Adler Tag Team--gully_raker

Post OTT DYM Mission 5--5th Feb 1916 Adler Tag Team--gully_raker

Prologue

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=AAR DYM Pilot.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 75.9 KB  ID: 268104" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    2nd Lt. Robert "Dusty" Rhodes had never felt more alive in his life. Here he was after 3 weeks advanced training at St Omer on the new DH-2 single seat scout flying one home to the Bulldogs aerodrome at Bentangles. This was not to be his own aircraft as it was boldly marked C 1 which made it the personal aircraft of his Flight Leader Lt Reginald Fife-Brand but for the time being it was in his hands & shortly 2 more DH-2's would arrive & he would take ownership of his own marked C 2. In the meantime he was enjoying the manoeuvrability of the
    little scout.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR DH-2 flying 2.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 89.5 KB  ID: 268105" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Soon Bentangles aerodrome appeared & he prepared to land.

Name:	WW1 Bentangles Aerodrome.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	268106

Name:	<acronym title=AAR DH-2 landing.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 48.0 KB  ID: 268107" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

No sooner had he taxied towards the hangers & switched off he was mobbed by both Pilots & ground crew anxious to inspect the new aircraft.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR DH-2.jpg  Views: 39  Size: 19.5 KB  ID: 268108" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

His old Gunbus Gunner AM2 Hamish Macbeth declared it a "Braw bonnie wee beastie!" & everyone agreed it did look "the goods".

The Mission

Uncle called him into the Squadron Hut & told him that in the absence of Fife-Brand who was on leave in Blighty it would be his duty to take the new replacement pilot 2nd Lt. James Lanister on a tour of their section of the Front to acquaint him with the Area. F/Sgt Brandon Stark was already airborne in the Red nosed Morane so Lanister would fly the one with the Black nose.

Over on the German side of the Lines Ltn Julius Lotz in his grey Fokker E.III was halfway through his patrol along the German Trenches while Ltn Victor Schoenebeck flying a CDL E.III accompanied by Ltn Caul-August Schwartz, who was known to be a bit of a daredevil, in his Green painted Eindekker were approaching the Trench lines.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 01.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 237.9 KB  ID: 268109" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The 2 groups of aircraft soon closed looking for a fight. Brandon Stark was first into action against the grey eindekker of Lotz & dealt out some good punishment to the E.III

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 02.jpg  Views: 41  Size: 215.7 KB  ID: 268110" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The other aircraft were soon exchanging shots & Dusty got a telling burst into the unfortunate Lotz wounding the pilot.
    The other aircraft only suffered minor damage.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 03.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 260.1 KB  ID: 268111" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Lotz had the satisfaction of at least damaging Stark's rudder.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 04.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 243.8 KB  ID: 268112" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Schoenebeck & Stark exchanged shots with the German's gun immediately jamming.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 05.jpg  Views: 40  Size: 201.2 KB  ID: 268113" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The aircraft had now flown through & separated to manoeuvre for advantage.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 06.jpg  Views: 41  Size: 205.3 KB  ID: 268114" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Lotz who had turned for home due to his wound, even though he still had fuel left for more time along his patrol, took an opportunistic shot at the Red nosed Morane but immediately had his gun jamb.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 07.jpg  Views: 40  Size: 206.2 KB  ID: 268115" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Stark returned the favor shortly after closing only to suffer a double jamb!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 08.jpg  Views: 40  Size: 212.5 KB  ID: 268116" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Dusty who had performed an Immleman turn exchanges shots with Schwart's whose gun also jammed but Dusty's shots caused the Fokkers engine to emit clouds of smoke.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 09.jpg  Views: 40  Size: 183.6 KB  ID: 268117" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Schwartz took a shot at Brandon's Morane but perhaps distracted by the smoke missed completely whilst Dusty took the opportunity to fly off & change the Drum on his Lewis gun..

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 10.jpg  Views: 41  Size: 207.8 KB  ID: 268118" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

James Lanister who had been on the extreme right of all the action now got into position & dealt the unfortunate Lotz another wound which caused him to lose control & crash just behind the German trenches.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 11.jpg  Views: 41  Size: 183.8 KB  ID: 268119" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Lanister & Schwartz now exchanged shots & did some damage to each other.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 12.jpg  Views: 41  Size: 213.7 KB  ID: 268120" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

There was now a 3 way action between Dusty, Stark & Schoenebeck with Dusty causing the most damage
    NOTE I did not notice the 4 damage was an A card that had snuck into the B deck until I was doing the pics for damage at the end of the game!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 13.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 215.3 KB  ID: 268121" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Schoenebeck & Dusty now exchanged bursts with Dusty again causing good damage whilst the Germans gun fell silent as it jammed!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 14.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 183.2 KB  ID: 268122" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Lanister & Schwartz also exchanged fire with little damage to show for their efforts.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 15.jpg  Views: 41  Size: 145.4 KB  ID: 268123" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Brandon Stark had swung his Morane around to get a good broadside shot into the CDL coloured Fokker & set it on fire.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 16.jpg  Views: 40  Size: 176.8 KB  ID: 268124" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Schwartz in the Green Eindekker had latched onto the tail of Lanister's Morane & gave it a damaging burst which shredded canvas before his guns jammed.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 18.jpg  Views: 41  Size: 214.7 KB  ID: 268125" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Fire had finally caused Victor Schoenebeck's Fokker to fall from the sky in No Man's Land.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 21.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 155.1 KB  ID: 268135" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Germans day got even worse when James Lanister made a head on pass at Schwartz's Fokker, whose gun was still jammed, & damaged his engine causing him to head home to the Eagles Nest leaving the 3 British aircraft in control of the Sky!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 20.jpg  Views: 41  Size: 214.2 KB  ID: 268127" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Comments & Observations

Well that was a very enjoyable game! For once the majority of the Jam Cards fell the Allied way & we had the best of luck with the damage cards so nice to win one for the Doggies.
    I played without Altitude using Dave's D8 charts & flying my named pilot Dusty Rhodes. All other Aircraft were AI controlled.
    The 4 "A" damage Card did not affect the outcome of the Fokker as it still had two A Fire damage cards to draw when it went down & even if they had drawn Zeros he would have been forced to RTB with only 2 damage points remaining.
    Incidentally the DH-2 I used in this game is a Shapeways one Painted & Rigged by our late mate Col Jones (Colbatman) that I got from his collection after he passed away. R.I.P Col

Victory Points

ALLIED
    2 German Planes Shot Down = 6 points
    1 Forced retirement Engine = 1 point
    TOTAL 7 points

German
    Nil Points

Therefore Allied Victory.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 05-25-2019 at 05:44. Reason: Title adjust

Default The BUTCHERS BILL!

GERMAN FORCES

Ltn Caul-August Schwartz: Green E.III. FRTB-Engine 0 Kills

Name:	<acronym title=BB 03.jpg  Views: 41  Size: 208.3 KB  ID: 268128" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn Victor Schoenebeck: CDL E.III. SD-FLM-NML 0 Kills
    Rolled 5-2 FLM -1 NML = 2 KIA

Name:	<acronym title=BB 02.jpg  Views: 41  Size: 181.3 KB  ID: 268129" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn Julius Lotz: SD-FT / 2WIA 0 kills
    Rolled 8 -1SD -2WIA = 5 Inj Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 4 = Skip 2

Name:	<acronym title=BB 01.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 204.7 KB  ID: 268130" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Allied Forces

2nd Lt Robert "Dusty" Rhodes: DH-2 C 1. RTB 0 kills

Name:	<acronym title=BB 05.jpg  Views: 41  Size: 189.1 KB  ID: 268131" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

2nd Lt James Lanister: Morane--Black Nose. RTB 1 kill (Ltn Lotz)

Name:	<acronym title=BB 04.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 197.4 KB  ID: 268132" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

F/Sgt Brandon Stark Morane--Red Nose. RTB 1 Kill (Ltn Schoenebeck)

Name:	<acronym title=BB 06.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 209.9 KB  ID: 268133" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Dave could you please get Uncle to run his critical eye over my Tallies to check my figures.
    Last edited by flash; 05-21-2019 at 02:17.

Well you certainly are a ‘jammy beggar’ Baz
    There have been so many jammed guns by all players in this scenario
    it’s a wonder any planes get damaged at all.

Great result for your dogs - pretty much a mirror of my own win for my Adler.
    Interesting that the Moranes got the kills over the DH.2
    Nice looking DH.2 by Cobaltman, may he rest in peace

Like it Baz, the scaled down game played out nicely. Seemed a quick, lively engagement - a couple of kills as a reward - Top work

Uncle says:

Well done chaps - you brought home the bacon today - Young Lanister getting a victory off his first mission with us, Stark picking up his second on his second. Down the Mess for a well earned brew methinks

Ltn Richard Arntzen has joined the Eagles as a replacement for Schoenebeck.
    Last edited by flash; 05-21-2019 at 02:33.

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Like it Baz, the scaled down game played out nicely. Seemed a quick, lively engagement - a couple of kills as a reward - Top work

Uncle says:

Well done chaps - you brought home the bacon today - Young Lanister getting a victory off his first mission with us, Stark picking up his second on his second. Down the Mess for a well earned brew methinks

Ltn Richard Arntzen has joined the Eagles as a replacement for Schoenebeck.
    Thanks for that Dave.
    Looks like I finally got the Tallies right for this one.

Congrats Baz - great result for the Doggies. It has to be said - with Lanister and Stark involved with all of those differently coloured aircraft - this had to have been the game of tones ! Sorry Another very bad dad joke

RIP Ltn Victor Schoenebeck Now down to the mess to celebrate the victory

REP on the way

Congrats on the victory. It looks like your Entente agent did her job sabotaging the Adler ammo supply. Still, it's their fault for not checking their bullets.

Interesting scenario with dramatic wins going either way in the AAR posted. We shall not mention Uncle being bested by his own D8 charts. But at least a round of should cheer him up.

Re - altitude: I'm getting used to using altitude. I substitute a climb as per the OTT DYM rules and a dive when needed to get an advantage on an opposing, lower altitude aircraft. It works well, but I was using aircraft with a 2 climb rate, so it does make a difference especially if it's a long game. I didn't keep track but I think I matched Sam's 19 turns - at least since Wolfgang started at altitude 4 and ended up at 12 and could have made 13 a couple of turns before the end.

Was there a saboteur among our ground crews? What a mess for the Germans this time around. Well-played scenario for the Tommies, though.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Was there a saboteur among our ground crews? What a mess for the Germans this time around. Well-played scenario for the Tommies, though.
    It's the only explanation, Sam. It couldn't possibly be the superior German manufacturing of weapons and ammunition - could it?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Congrats Baz - great result for the Doggies. It has to be said - with Lanister and Stark involved with all of those differently coloured aircraft - this had to have been the game of tones ! Sorry Another very bad dad joke

**************************************************Snipped********************************************************************
    Oh very droll Mike.
    Great play on words there mate.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    It's the only explanation, Sam. It couldn't possibly be the superior German manufacturing of weapons and ammunition - could it?
    Of course not. German engineering is the best in the world!

Well done Barry, a resounding victory inspite of all the jams which were very one sided . All very professional including the tallies, hope mine pass muster this time as well.
    Very nice DH2, the rigging looks to be very well done, I'm amazed that your friend and yourself had the patience to work with such a small scale and get such a good job done on the rig.
    Cheers

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Well done Barry, a resounding victory inspite of all the jams which were very one sided . All very professional including the tallies, hope mine pass muster this time as well.
    Very nice DH2, the rigging looks to be very well done, I'm amazed that your friend and yourself had the patience to work with such a small scale and get such a good job done on the rig.
    Cheers
    Thanks for the nice comments John.
    Col Jones was an excellent painter & rigger.
    Whilst I did all my monoplanes with Brush hairs (I did a How To way back in the Hobby Section) I did not even try to rig a DH-2.

I love the early war birds. Great AAR

Great early war stuff there Barry. Is that first pic from your prologue one of your own from when you were in the forces?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Great early war stuff there Barry. Is that first pic from your prologue one of your own from when you were in the forces?
    Was never that good looking Gary!

I have never seen that many jammed guns, did the pilots and ground crews have a party the night before?

Thats one mission the Hun won't forget. Gave them a good whacking. Nice to have the cards fall your way once in a while.

Love your rigged planes. I have yet to do any of my ARES planes but now have to.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-DYM Mission 5: Adler Tag-Team - 5th February 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-11-2019, 03:25
  2. AAR OTT-DYM Mission 5: Adler Tag-Team - 5th February 1916 by Zenlizard
    By zenlizard in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-18-2019, 18:51
  3. AAR OTT DYM Mission 5 - Adler Tag-Team - 5th February 1916
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13