Ares Games

Thread: PhenomaCon 2019 - 6 July, Victoria

Default PhenomaCon 2019 - 6 July, Victoria

I have been invited to put on some demo games at this new convention in Victoria, BC:

PhenomaCon - Board Games (Scroll down)

I chose Battlestar Galactica as my demo game, being that I couldn't guarantee that I'd have Tripods & Triplanes on hand. I will be showing off the proto-type ships I have been play-testing, but I have, at least, eight production ships to put on the table.

There will be some Wings of Glory stuff as part of the display, and perhaps a box or two of Tripod stuff, but the focus will be BSG.

Anyway, if any of the Victoria Forum members happen to stop by, we can get re-acquainted.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

christolockxxx

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the invite. I will mark it on my calendar and see what my wife has planned for me on the 6th July

Hope it all goes well for you guys - have fun

What I'll be wearing at PhenomaCon:
    Name:  WogShirtCrop1.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  97.6 KB

I've been trying to get VistaPrint's embroidery app to accept the Aerodrome Wings logo, and finally got it to accept something other than white and grey. It didn't render the white and grey properly, even when it accepted it, so I had to try something different. It took filling in the white outlines with a similar color to the shirt, before it would render anything decent.

The above is what came in the mail today. It will have to do.

Close-up:
    Name:  WogShirtCrop2.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  270.1 KB
    Mike

Trying out the Damage Record sheets I will use on Saturday: BSG Warm-up for PhenomaCon 2019
    Mike

Set-up at the Con:
    Name:  IMG_20190706_091940.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  170.7 KB

I didn't do up a specific display board for BSG, not wanting to spend a bunch of ink, as well as wanting to advertise the other ARES Games, and the Forum.

Also, it seems I will be sandwiched between an X-Wing tournament and a Magic-the Gathering display. Let's see if I can make some converts.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Set-up at the Con:
    Name:  IMG_20190706_091940.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  170.7 KB

I didn't do up a specific display board for BSG, not wanting to spend a bunch of ink, as well as wanting to advertise the other ARES Games, and the Forum.

Also, it seems I will be sandwiched between an X-Wing tournament and a Magic-the Gathering display. Let's see if I can make some converts.
    Nice set up. I'm sure it will be a hit. At Origins some X-Wingers that played in my game said BSG blew X out of the water.

The usual give-away souvenirs:
    Name:  IMG_20190706_101746.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  195.8 KB
    Mike

One demo game done. No photos. Larry, a resident of Victoria, had played Wings of Glory and X-Wing, so partially familiar with the mechanics of BSG. Austin, actually visiting from Courtenay, partner community to Comox, hadn't played either, but learned fast. Not fast enough, though, as Larry's Viper and my Raider slugged it out on the other side of the mat.

Larry got a double hit and seriously messed me up, and I was having difficulty even hitting back. As it turned out, Austin's Viper was just getting into range, shooting up my back end, as Larry was drawing my fire in the opposite direction. I finally blew up Larry, but he did Control System and Hull/Wing special damage to me before succumbing to my pounding. With 3 hits left, I FTL'd away from Austin, denying him vengeance.

This was played as a standard game, with retained chits, not using the damage record sheets.

Larry liked the game, and may look for it. Austin will be looking for me at our mutual FLGS to play again.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-07-2019 at 00:05.
    Mike

Played one more game, with Greg, a local game store owner (more later, I packed up his card). He is a Battlestar Galactica fan (IIRC), and wanted to see how the game played. Definitely a new fan of the game!

He did blow me up, in the process of learning the game. First hit gave me a Pilot Wound. I kept missing him. Then, with Aiming Bonus and short range, Greg rolled doubles. Toaster wreckage...

With that, and a few discussions of Wings of Glory and other ARES Games, I decided to pack it in. My table was the last standing in the gaming room, and it was 4 PM. So, the likelyhood of any more casual foot traffic was slim to nill, and waiting to start a new game was likely to run last past closing.

A good day, and perhaps more addicts? We'll see.
    Mike

Thanks to Dave [Panzer_elite] for inviting me down, and organizing another venue for me to share my passion for tabletop mini games.
    Mike

Thanks also to Bob [wyrwolf] for dropping in to say hello. He was one of the people who supported me at GottaCon a few years back.

Perhaps next year we can do a team show with Tripods or something.
    Mike

Update on Greg's Store:
    TriplePlaySC.com - Memorabilia, Sports & Gaming Cards
    Name:  TP_logo.png
Views: 246
Size:  37.8 KB

If you are in downtown Victoria, BC, stop in to the store at 1209 Wharf Street and say 'Hello' to Greg.
    Mike

Just a wrap-up of info for this event. It was the first 'annual' con, so there are some growing pains to be worked through.

According to the organizers, there were 600 people through the doors, so a pretty good turn-out for a first time. However, as the Game Room location was at the very back of the recreation centre, and not at all visible from any other part of the con. We probably got about 50-ish people through the room. If the attendees were not specifically coming for the games room, they didn't make the effort to see what was happening, it seemed. Also, I am counting all the staff and demo/tournament hosts in that head count. Two of the three pople that played on the day were other game hosts, as it happened.

Not unexpected, actually, from experience at other cons, and it can get better.

I now have new BSG fans in Victoria that might develop a crowd at next year's event?
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. Barrage 2019 sunday 7 July
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-05-2019, 17:21
  2. Mosquito to Fly at Victoria International Airport, Victoria, BC, Canada
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-15-2018, 08:07
  3. British Columbia: Reporting for duty from Victoria
    By epiphanius in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 21