Lt T Harper DH2 (N)

Lt JP Bedard N11

Central Powers Adlers

Oblt lt S Priesner Original E111 Sharp eye

Ltn P Wenzel E111 (Blue)

Ltn M Nagler Perfect aim E111 ( Red)

Ltn J Classen E111 ( Camo)

Ltn F Koch E111 Camo

High Command had decided that the Bulldogs of 52 Squadron were to be one of the first front line units to receive the new Airco DH2s . A step up from the Morane's they had been flying it was hoped they could put an end of the “Fokker Scourge”

With the new crates came a new tactic of sending in a wave of scouts to clear the way for the vulnerable 2 seaters . After several days of familiarisation with the new planes and tactics the order came to put it all into practice.

Not wishing to risk all the new planes Bedard was allowed to fly his newly repainted Nieuport.

Patterson led the flight to a favourite hunting ground of the Adlers

, a stretch of river between both fronts that was targeted for a photo recon later that morning.
    Sure enough they were there.

Peters and Bedard broke left and right ,Peters rounds going wide of Classen, a tear in the fabric resulted from Brehard's shot.

Patterson found himself surrounded by 3 Germans , all eager to shoot the new plane down.

Naglers bullets started the engine fire and tore a section out of the rudder

Wenzel finished off the damage to the tail.

Unable to correct his direction Patterson veered into Priesner's undercarriage tearing what remained of the DH2s rear section away.

Patterson fumbled through his flying jacket searching for his revolver .
    Priesner watched the ball of fire plummet towards the river.

Bedard got closer and ripped into Classens' engine cutting lines and machined parts.

Focusing on the Camo E111 he side slipped hoping to catch him as he turned.
    Harper swung round behind the German planes which were all heading West.

Bedard's move worked allowing JP to get so close to the E111 he could clearly target the pilot. Classen slumped forward over his controls.

Harper sent a few rounds into Priesner before his gun jammed , Peters was more fortunate hitting Wenzel without jamming .

Wenzel Immelled while Priesner and Harper circled each other Bedard got too close to Classen to finish him off but he throttled back enough to get a bead on the Fokker shooting him down before his gun jammed.

Peters pulled his DH2 hard left while Priesner moved towards him guns blazing. Flames erupted from the RFC plane

Wenzel glanced at his fuel gauge. He calculated he had a few minutes more before he had to break off from combat . He looked around for an easy target.

Peters shifted his plane from right to left to prevent the flames consuming any more of his planes dope soaked fabric.

A burst from Priesner cut several wires to the rudder

Bedard Immelled
    .Coming out of the loop Wenzel was waiting . Both pilots fired The Frenchman's jammed but both were on target.

Priesners guns jammed as he fired on Peters and Harper got a sneaky shot at the Hun when he wasn't looking

Pushing on Peters had the red Fokker of Nagler to contend with. His eyes streaming from the flames he pressed down on the trigger as the Hun loomed into focus. Nagler was on fire within seconds

The fire spread rapidly and Nagler was forced to head for home .

Trying to lose height did not help and the plane was consumed .

Wendel just skimmed past Harper's tail

It seemed the remaining Hun were after Peters . Harper tried to take on Priesner who was looking to cut off the homeward bound DH2 but not before being shot up by Wenzel

Wenzel was close to empty but saw a chance to get on Harper's tail and so they began the circle each other. But after several minutes with neither gaining an advantage Wenzel broke off his fuel too low to continue.

As turned Wenzel he saw the second camo E111 of Kosh entering the fray.

Peter's found himself caught in Priesner's Los Peters pounded Koch with a well aimed strafe , Priesner zeroed in on the DH2 watching the rounds as they hit the RFC pilots body dodgy photo

Bedard was to high to fire on Priesner.

Kosh and Bedard exchanged shots, the Germans tail coming off worst.

Koch joined in the attack on Peters till his guns jammed.

Priesner's guns jammed as he attempted to finish off Peters giving Harper the chance to fire at the E 111 at close range The bullets shredded the main wing wires and the plane flipped over into a death spiral.

Peters limped away from the melee leaving Koch and Wenzel to take on the remaining RFC planes .

Koch signalled to Wenzel to return home but Wenzel shook his head and turned towards Brehard and Harper determined to slog it out.

Kosh flipped his Fokker over in an Immel firing at Harper from above but to no effect. Harper by contrast cut the rudder in half with his shots

Wenzel took on the Frenchie jamming his gun almost immediately . JP pumped lead into the opposition .

Harper came as close as they could without colliding

The 2 RFC planes began to stalk Wenzel who quickly banked right to evade them. The Nieuports tighter turn got the better of the Fokker and its engine stuttered and coughed as it was hit by Bedard.

That was enough for Wenzel who started for his lines. His damaged engine using the few dregs that were left in hid tank.

Kosh turned to cover his retreat.

Harper followed for a short time but peeled off after using his last rounds to no avail on Kosh.

All in all it had been a good day for the new DH2 planes

Result

RFC

2Lt David Patterson: DH2 (P) EXP(Col)-FT 0 kills
    Rolled 3 -3EXP = 0 KIA

2Lt Laurence Peters: DH2 (O) RTB / WIA / 1 Kill
    Rolled 2 -1WIA +1RTB = 2 KIA

Lt Timothy Harper: DH2 (N) RTB /1 Kill

S/Lt Jean Paul Bedard: N11. RTB / 1 Kill

Central Powers Adlers

Obltn Sebastian Priesner: Original E111; Sharp eye; SD-EXP-FT / 1 kill
    Rolled 10 -3EXP = 7 Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario. Rolled 6 = Skip 2

Ltn Paul Wenzel: E111 (Blue) RTB 0 kills

Ltn Max Nagler: Perfect aim E111 ( Red); SD-FLM-FT 0 kills
    Rolled 8 -2FLM = 6 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 5 = Skip 3

Ltn Joachim Classen: E111 ( Camo) SD-FT / WIA 0 kills
    Rolled 4 -1SD -1WIA = 2 KIA

Ltn Friedrich Koch: E111 Camo; FRTB-D 0 kills

If you please Dave the poor pilots await their fate

Ouch that was messy . BBQ all round and a couple of wounded
    Scores on the doors

RFC 3 kills 1 FTR =10pts

Central powers 1 Kill 1 FTR = 4pts

An RFC Bulldogs victory.
    loved it
    Last edited by flash; 05-20-2019 at 00:42. Reason: Correct the pilots name !

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thumbs up

Good to see a Doggies Victory in this one Paul!
    I was worried when it seemed the new DH-2's were subject to catching fire but things turned around & you gave the jolly old Huns some good knocks in return.

Rep inbound.

That was quite the party Paul, lots of action, I felt the pendulum swing both ways and some surprising results

Uncle says:

Well Bedard - how much did you have to drink last night ? It seems that you've forgotten your own name in this report ! Who the hell is Brehard ?? One of your drunken colleagues ? A good win but at a high cost. Mourn our losses, celebrate our win
    The Tally has been done, some surprises - notably Peters might be the first RTB WIA not to make it ?
    PM me your new pilots please.

Note: I won't be doing the Tally again unless you conform to the proper format:
    Pilots (full) name / what happened to them & where / injuries / Victories or not
    eg: Lt Stan Deasey / SD ET / WIA / 0 Kills
    This report took me best part of forty minutes to compile & check & I'm still not convinced it's right !
    Last edited by flash; 05-20-2019 at 00:53.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    That was quite the party Paul, lots of action, I felt the pendulum swing both ways and some surprising results

Uncle says:

Well Bedard - how much did you have to drink last night ? It seems that you've forgotten your own name in this report ! Who the hell is Brehard ?? One of your drunken colleagues ? A good win but at a high cost. Mourn our losses, celebrate our win
    The Tally has been done, some surprises - notably Peters might be the first RTB WIA not to make it ?
    PM me your new pilots please.

Note: I won't be doing the Tally again unless you conform to the proper format:
    Pilots (full) name / what happened to them & where / injuries / Victories or not
    eg: Lt Stan Deasey / SD ET / WIA / 0 Kills
    This report took me best part of forty minutes to compile & check & I'm still not convinced it's right !
    Oh Dear! I hope I get my Tallies right when I post my M5.
    Do NOT want to upset Uncle.
    Yikes 2 DH-2 Pilots & 1 Eindekker Pilot all KIA.

A whole lot of fire and blood to this one, Paul. With two KIA/DOW, is your squadron commander Pyrrhus?

Erh Sorry about that Dave Re Brehard/Bedard etc etc .

Mess was a bit busy with 60th birthday celebrations for this old fart ( and Rick keyboard wizard Wakeman) so it really was a case of the morning after the flight before when I published the AAR

More Fokker fodder in the form of Quinten Marsh & Paul Henry.
    Bedard chooses bullet checker for his ace skill please
    Brehard has left the Mess and the war honest

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Erh Sorry about that Dave Re Brehard/Bedard etc etc .

Mess was a bit busy with 60th birthday celebrations for this old fart ( and Rick keyboard wizard Wakeman) so it really was a case of the morning after the flight before when I published the AAR

More Fokker fodder in the form of Quinten Marsh & Paul Henry.
    Bedard chooses bullet checker for his ace skill please
    Brehard has left the Mess and the war honest
    Uncle nailed it then !!
    No choice for ace skill - Bedard has his inherent ace skill of Sharp eye upped to full ace skill.
    Sharp Eye: When this skill is used the ace can hit a plane at long range as if it were at short range giving it two cards of damage instead of one.
    This skill can be used twice in a game.

"He is wise who watches"

Uncles say:

Pleased to confirm the award of the Military Cross (MC) to S/Lt Jean Paul Bedard for his achievement of becoming an ace.

Pleased to confirm the award of: War Cross with silver gilt star (Croix de Guerre étoile de vermeil) (CdGg) & the War Cross with Bronze Palm (Croix de Guerre avec palme de bronze) (CdGp) to S/Lt Jean Paul Bedard for his last two victories and becoming an ace

"He is wise who watches"

Ouch Paul
    All in all it had been a good day for the new DH2 planes
    with two of them destroyed along with their pilots - not sure I agree with you Paul. Wonder what the rest of your pilots think Still, you did shoot down three of theirs and yes, oh dear, yet another pilot killed Guess we shall see quite a few more names in the next mission.

Congratulations to S/Lt Jean Paul Bedard for his gongs. Drinks all round in the mess I take it And that's a classy little Nieuport he has there - nice one. Really like it

RIP 2Lt David Patterson, 2Lt Laurence Peters and Ltn Joachim Classen. They did their bit

That was a bloody battle, after reading all these AARs, I think the most difficult thing is not actually writing them, or playing them, but coming up with new names.
    REP

Well Paul - what a disaster, not only getting 3 pilots killed but also bringing down the wrath of Uncle on your head as well, - WHAT A PARTY THAT MUST HAVE BEEN, wish I could have been there.

Brehard/Bedard, who cares, he flies about the nifftiest Nieuport I've seen, so well done to him, one of the few survivors and with 2 separate medals he should be curling his moustache and knocking back the brandy with the best of them.

Sounds like the 35th Anniversary of your 25th Birthday has made a right mess of your tale-telling abilities, Paul
    A victory by the points, but the bean counters at RFC Command might not agree.
    A tough outing for the DH.2 in most of these accounts so far.
    But a fun read in all of them.
    Here’s to your new ace “what’s his name”

What a great battle in the skies! Hope your new pilots have a better time in the skies!

Yep hope I can remember their names too

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post

Sounds like the 35th Anniversary of your 25th Birthday has made a right mess of your tale-telling abilities, Paul
    A victory by the points, but the bean counters at RFC Command might not agree.
    A tough outing for the DH.2 in most of these accounts so far.
    But a fun read in all of them.
    Here’s to your new ace “what’s his name”

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Well Paul - what a disaster, not only getting 3 pilots killed but also bringing down the wrath of Uncle on your head as well, - WHAT A PARTY THAT MUST HAVE BEEN, wish I could have been there.

Brehard/Bedard, who cares, he flies about the nifftiest Nieuport I've seen, so well done to him, one of the few survivors and with 2 separate medals he should be curling his moustache and knocking back the brandy with the best of them.
    Whats his face was with me at the party I think

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Uncles say:

Pleased to confirm the award of the Military Cross (MC) to S/Lt Jean Paul Bedard for his achievement of becoming an ace.

Pleased to confirm the award of: War Cross with silver gilt star (Croix de Guerre étoile de vermeil) (CdGg) & the War Cross with Bronze Palm (Croix de Guerre avec palme de bronze) (CdGp) to S/Lt Jean Paul Bedard for his last two victories and becoming an ace
    Bedard is more than honoured to accept them

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Ouch Paul with two of them destroyed along with their pilots - not sure I agree with you Paul. Wonder what the rest of your pilots think Still, you did shoot down three of theirs and yes, oh dear, yet another pilot killed Guess we shall see quite a few more names in the next mission.

Congratulations to S/Lt Jean Paul Bedard for his gongs. Drinks all round in the mess I take it And that's a classy little Nieuport he has there - nice one. Really like it

RIP 2Lt David Patterson, 2Lt Laurence Peters and Ltn Joachim Classen. They did their bit
    It was a good day for the DH2s till Uncle Ton Ton told me the gory details .

Thats a victory you'll want to avoid in the future. Two good men gone, hard to replace experience. At least the Hun had their nose bloodied too.

Well done Bouledogues!

Love you N11.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-DYM Mission 5: Adler Tag-Team - 5th February 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-11-2019, 03:25
  2. AAR OTT-DYM Mission 5: Adler Tag-Team - 5th February 1916 by Zenlizard
    By zenlizard in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-18-2019, 18:51
  3. AAR OTT DYM Mission 5 - Adler Tag-Team - 5th February 1916