Ares Games

Thread: AAR OTT DYM - Mission 5 - "Adler Tag-Team" (Italian Front variant)

Default AAR OTT DYM - Mission 5 - "Adler Tag-Team" (Italian Front variant)

OTT Daring Young Men Campaign – the Italian Front
    Mission 5 – Adler Tag-Team by Stumptonian
    (15 November, 1917 - the Battle of Caporetto will soon be over. French, British and American troops and equipment are pouring into Northern Italy to shore up their Italian ally.)

The OTT DYM scenario is here:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-February-1916

The original scenario pits the newly arrived Airco DH2 versus the Fokker EIII in early February, 1916. I chose SPAD XIII versus the AH version of the Albatros D.III – the Oeffag 153 with the unofficial stats. For comparison of the SPAD XIII versus the Oeffag 153
    A vs B manoeuvre deck
    Both A firepower
    16 versus 15 damage
    Both have an excellent climb rate of 2
    15 versus 13 maximum altitude

It was a great game for climbing. The AH planes started on level 4 and the Entente on level 5. The game ended with planes on level 12. For collisions I used the rule that planes had to be on the same level – both with or both without climb markers AND with at least one base overlapping the opponent’s plane’s centre peg. I didn’t have a single collision.

There was quite a difference in how the game played out versus the original OTT scenario due to the relative speed of the aircraft compared to weapon ranges. This AAR was mostly a zoom-shoot once-zoom-turn around and repeat type of action. Many shots were with one plane at a higher altitude so there were few double-card hits.

The Action – as told by Ltn Wolfgang Augustin in a letter to his father.

Dear Father,

You will be very proud of your son. In the last mission I became our Flik’s first ace and was awarded the Military Merit Cross – Bronze class. While I shot down two enemy planes, I was very happy to learn that both pilots survived. Up in the air one cannot help but have some empathy for the daring souls on the other side who seek to defy gravity. Luck was with us as my wingman, Feldwebel Neumann also shot down a plane, his 2nd, and all of our Flik returned safely.

The mission started with an ordinary patrolling mission where two planes fly up and down our lines to intercept any enemy reconnaissance planes or bombers. Günter (Feldwebel Neumann) and I were to relieve Sandy and Pablo (Feldwebel Svoboda and Zugführer Pavlich). I know you disapprove of being overly familiar with the other social classes, but the Hauptmann insists that in our Flik it is merit that counts. Perhaps it seems strange – even un-Austrian but both our Hauptmann and Hauptmann von Maier of our parent Flik are in accord with this.

As Günter and I approached our front lines, my blood froze as I saw no less than four of the new enemy SPAD aeroplanes about to dive down on Sandy and Pablo. If you remember I encountered one of these new SPAD machines and was lucky enough to take it down by ramming it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM5 01.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	257.4 KB 
ID:	268059

I watched in horror as one of these SPADs dove on Pablo who was closest to him. It seemed that Pablo could not survive the aggressive attack, but at the last second he jerked his plane to one side and the enemy’s bullets missed him. Whether this by plan or by Pablo being surprised or his being unused to the planes I do not know. We were flying the new, made in Austria, the Oeffag 153 – our superior version of the German Albatros as it has a more powerful engine which may be why your son is alive to write to you.

Name:	DYM5 02.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	268058

Two of the enemy planes attacked Sandy and Pablo from the side while the other two sought to intercept them from the front. Günter and I headed for these latter two enemy machines, one of which noticed Günter and fired a burst from his machine gun that went wide.

Name:	DYM5 03.jpg 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	268057

I slipped in behind this SPAD into a good firing position and fired my twin Schwarzlose guns – yes, father, the Hauptmann is letting me fly planes with two machineguns! Fortune smiled on me as I must have hit something like the fuel tank since the enemy aeroplane exploded.

Name:	DYM5 04.jpg 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	268056

I then banked right and came in behind the two enemy SPADs that had attack Sandy and Pablo from the side. A burst did some damage to the enemy aeroplane but I could see that it wasn’t very much.

Name:	DYM5 05.jpg 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	268055

Meanwhile, Günter, engaged the fourth enemy SPAD head on. The both fired at the same time with enough effect to give each other notice.

Name:	DYM5 06.jpg 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	268054

By this time, Sandy, had circled around his attackers. Sandy is quite a clever tactician, Father (Editor: thanks to Dave’s solo charts). He fired on the SPAD, which had dove so furiously on Pablo, setting it on fire. Flames licked all around the enemy SPAD and it seemed the machine would be totally consumed.

Name:	DYM5 07.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	268053

Name:	DYM5 08.jpg 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	268052

Name:	DYM5 09.jpg 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	268051

But the pilot was incredibly brave and sough revenge against Sandy, The met head on. The bullets from the enemy were so intense it was as if the enemy pilot was reaching out with his hands to tear Sandy’s machine apart. While Sandy’s fire was not as severe, he must have hit the enemy aeroplane’s engine as it started to stutter.

Name:	DYM5 10.jpg 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	268050

Not done with his savage, brutal attack, the enemy SPAD then turned on Günter. The SPAD’s pilot was fortunate and managed to extinguish the flames, but it was clear that his machine was done and he’d be lucky to make it back to his aerodrome. He soon left the battle. I do not know whether he made it back safely or not.

Name:	DYM5 11.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	268049

Briefly it was four on two in our favour, but Sandy and Pablo were low on fuel and soon broke off and headed for our home. Although, Sandy did have to fight past the remaining two enemy SPADs. Günter and I intercepted the SPADs, distracting them long enough for Sandy and Pablo to break off.

Name:	DYM5 12.jpg 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	268048

Name:	DYM5 13.jpg 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	268047

It was about this time that we lost sight of one of the enemy SPADs – an American as we later found out. So it was two of us, Günter and me, against one SPAD. All of the time, I kept climbing and climbing as the fight crept higher and higher. At first the SPADs had been above us, but now I had the advantage. The Oeffag is a wonderful climber, Father. I fired on the SPAD and I could see the pilot jerk violently. I think I wounded him.

Name:	DYM5 14.jpg 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	268046

I ‘tailed’ this SPAD and kept firing but it eventually escaped me. It was then that I was surprised to see the American spring out in front of me. I tried to fire on him but he was so quick I fear my bullets came no where near him.

Name:	DYM5 15.jpg 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	268045

Name:	DYM5 16.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	268044

Günter managed to catch the SPAD that had escaped and all four aeroplanes – our two Oeffags and the two SPADs twisted and turned in a ‘dogfight’ – as Sandy calls them.

Name:	DYM5 17.jpg 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	268043

Name:	DYM5 18.jpg 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	268042

Name:	DYM5 19.jpg 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	268041

Name:	DYM5 20.jpg 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	268040

Name:	DYM5 21.jpg 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	268039

But all of this time I kept climbing even higher. The air was so cold up so high. Never have I flown an aeroplane this high before. Günter and the enemy SPADs followed me. All this time we fired and fired at each other but I had the advantage and eventually one of the enemy SPADs broke up and the aeroplane drifted down towards No Man’s Land.

Name:	DYM5 22.jpg 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	268038

I swung may aeroplane around as quickly as I could to catch the American SPAD. I fired and my bullets hit his rudder which trapped him since he could not turn to one side and the mountains were on the other side. He had little choice for manoeuvre and I was waiting for him. I fired. I could see the bullets strafe his cockpit. I was wondering if he was alive or not when Günter swooped down and fired just before I could fire another burst (Wolfgang is a rookie, so his fire is after Günter’s). I could see that Günter’s bullets also hit the SPAD’s cockpit. Surely the brave American was dead.

Name:	DYM5 23.jpg 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	268037

Name:	DYM5 24.jpg 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	268036

Name:	DYM5 25.jpg 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	268035

As incredible as it might seem but all three of the downed SPAD pilots survived. One was close to the enemy lines as was rescued by his comrades, but we captured the American and the pilot of the SPAD that blew up – both, surprisingly will relatively minor injuries. This other captured pilot was a Frenchman, who with the American were from a Franco-American squadron sent to help the Italians. One can’t help wonder how the war will go if we have to fight all of these nations, but one shouldn’t think on these things too much and just focus on one’s duty.

The Flik managed to host our two, erstwhile opponents for dinner. The Frenchman, Lt. Phillipe Dumoulin, was from Lyon while the American, 2nd Lt. Sam Magee was from a state called, Tennessee. Sandy, if you remember from one of my previous letters, had studied in American and he quite enjoyed talking with Sam about the reasons why American joined the war.

The American was quite charming and it seemed used his charms on one of the hospital nurses in order to effect his and the Frenchman’s escape. Perhaps we will meet them once again in the skies for one of our deadly duels.

A most enjoyable scenario, Pete. Thanks.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 05-18-2019 at 18:13.

Butcher’s Bill

Feldwebel Sandy Svoboda – pilot Oeffag 153 / RTB / 0 kills
    Result: OK / 0 kills

Name:	DYM5 <acronym title=BB Sandy.jpg  Views: 43  Size: 198.3 KB  ID: 268073" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Feldwebel Pablo Pavlich – pilot Oeffag 153 / RTB / 0 kills

Name:	DYM5 <acronym title=BB Pablo.jpg  Views: 39  Size: 218.8 KB  ID: 268072" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Leutnant Wolfgang von Augustin – pilot Oeffag 153 / RTB / 2 kills
    Result: OK / 2 kills / MMCb (Military Merit Cross – Bronze)

Name:	DYM5 <acronym title=BB Wolfgang.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 230.3 KB  ID: 268075" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Feldwebel Günter Neumann – pilot Oeffag 153 / RTB / 1 kill
    Result: OK / 1 kill

Name:	DYM5 <acronym title=BB Gunter.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 172.8 KB  ID: 268074" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Tenente Antonio Maruzzo – pilot SPAD XIII / FRTB - D / 0 kills

Name:	DYM5 <acronym title=BB Tony.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 188.3 KB  ID: 268071" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Sottotenente Lodovico Vicentino – pilot SPAD S.VII / SD NML / WIA / 0 kills
    C&C: Roll 7 – (1 WIA) -1 (SD) = 5 (injured); roll 5 = skip 5
    E&E: Roll 7 -1 (WIC) +1 (NML) = 7 (Landed almost home); skip 1
    Result: WIA / 0 kills / skip 5

Name:	DYM5 <acronym title=BB Lodovico.jpg  Views: 39  Size: 183.9 KB  ID: 268070" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Lieutenant Phillipe Dumoulin – pilot SPAD XIII / EXP ET / WIC / 0 kills
    C&C: 6 – 3 (EXP) = 3 (injured); roll 2 = skip 2
    E&E: Roll 7 – 1 (WIC) -1 (EXP) – 1 (BEL) = 4 (captured & escaped); roll 4 = skip 2
    Result: WIC / 0 kills / skip 2

Name:	DYM5 <acronym title=BB Phillipe.jpg  Views: 39  Size: 206.5 KB  ID: 268069" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

2nd Lieutenant Sam Magee – pilot SPAD XIII / SD NML / WIA / 0 kills
    C&C: 10 – 2 (WIA X 2) -1 NML = 7 (injured); roll 5 = skip 2
    E&E: Roll 5 – 3 (WIA X2, WIC) +1 (NML) = 3 (captured & escaped); roll 4 = skip 2
    Result: WIA / 0 kills / skip 2

Name:	DYM5 <acronym title=BB Sam.jpg  Views: 39  Size: 194.6 KB  ID: 268068" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Victory Points
    Three Entente Airplanes shot down: +9
    One Entente Airplane forced to return to base +1
    Total Points: Central Powers 10 – Entente 0

Some statistics:
    AH planes shot at Entente planes 18 times versus 9 for the Entente – outshooting the Entente 2 to 1. The AH planes caused damage 16 times for nearly a 90% ‘accuracy’ while the Entente scored hits only 5 times for just over 55% ‘accuracy’. Considering the Entente got one ‘boom’ and one ‘fire’ card, the AH had a couple of lucky breaks that took 2 Entente planes out early which probably contributed to the AH outshooting by as much as they did.

Note – Pablo failed to get into position even once to fire at an Entente plane.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 05-19-2019 at 03:54.

Very nice Paul, looks like another cracking game for your Italian front.
    Uncle wonders about
    *Note – I made a change to the DYM rules with a -1 per WIA
    as it is -1 per WIA in DYM. The result is the same as DYM ?

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Very nice Paul, looks like another cracking game for your Italian front.
    Uncle wonders about as it is -1 per WIA in DYM. The result is the same as DYM ?
    Doh! It is a the same rule. -1 for inability to read instructions. Erroneous statement deleted.

Thanks. A good game but long - probably equal to Sam’s in length.

A well-deserved victory to our Austro-Hungarian allies! And well done for persisting-marathon games can really wear you out.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    A well-deserved victory to our Austro-Hungarian allies! And well done for persisting-marathon games can really wear you out.
    After two successful outings I have to figure out if (1) I was just lucky or (2) I’m getting the hang of besting the solo charts. Ha!

Yes, marathon games can wear you out. You can figure out in the storyline when I got tired (I did play the game in the evening) - it’s the part that’s “then we did some dogfight” and post 5 photos without further comment.

A great result for your Oeffags, Paul.
    Nice looking planes. Did you make the cards as well?
    Love the explosion effect on Dumoulin’s SPAD

Rep on its way.
    P.S. Sorry to be late commenting. Was looking for your AAR as I knew I had seen it posted. Forgot yours are not in the official area.

Thumbs up

Another action Filled AAR Paul.
    I enjoyed reading that one.

Great AAR - thanks for posting it.

Congratulations on a fine victory and a great shoot out on the Italian Front. Those flame cards for Tenente Antonio Maruzzo were really harsh, but a reminder that, despite such damage, an aircraft can still survive

Love the way you play altitude - I start out with good intentions, then never quite manage to go the extra mile! REP gun seems to be jammed right now - sorry - but thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    A great result for your Oeffags, Paul.
    Nice looking planes. Did you make the cards as well?
    Love the explosion effect on Dumoulin’s SPAD

Rep on its way.
    P.S. Sorry to be late commenting. Was looking for your AAR as I knew I had seen it posted. Forgot yours are not in the official area.
    Yes, the I made the cards - once I figured out to do what I wanted with my PaintShop program. The explosion effect is from pngtree.com. Sometimes it's hit and miss for what I want, but that one was good.

Not posting in the official area was the agreement with Uncle to not get confused with the official AAR. That was when I had 10 planes. Now I have 150, including 12 valom and shapeways (plus 2 balloons) models I've completed. I'm nearly finished a Reviresco Pfalz D.IIIa. That was purposeful to determine if I wanted to mostly go 3D printed, metal or resin....so I just ordered 20 more Valom models for my plan to do Jastas 23b and 30 (from the Aeronaut Books). Crazy....but they are fun to paint up.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Congratulations on a fine victory and a great shoot out on the Italian Front. Those flame cards for Tenente Antonio Maruzzo were really harsh, but a reminder that, despite such damage, an aircraft can still survive

Love the way you play altitude - I start out with good intentions, then never quite manage to go the extra mile! REP gun seems to be jammed right now - sorry - but thanks for sharing
    Thanks, Mike (and Barry and Adie)

No problem re REP - it's the thought that counts. Speaking of jammed guns, unusually it wasn't an issue in this game.

Yes, the fire damage was hard for Antonio. It thought he had it but the last card turned up a '0' and no one got a decent shot at him before he bugged out. In any event, he dished out a rather harsh double-'4's to Alexandr. Any pilot that does that deserves to fly again...and my Flik pilots should be afraid of that. Maybe I need to give Antonio an inherent ace skill but I already have 3 Italian pilots with inherent ace skills but two were out of action and in this one only Lodovico had a skill (fire expert).

The shoot out was closer than it seemed. It would likely have had a different outcome if Wolfgang's first shot wasn't a 'boom' card and then, of course, Antonio got taken out by the fire damage. It could easily have been 4 on 2 once Alexandr and Pablo returned to base on turn 5.

Great graphics and the explosion graphic is fantastic, well done for the stamina.

Great job very interesting! REP

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-DYM Mission 5: Adler Tag-Team - 5th February 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-11-2019, 03:25
  2. AAR OTT DYM Mission 5 - Adler Tag-Team - 5th February 1916
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-18-2019, 18:26
  3. BRF OTT DYM Mission 5 - Adler Tag-Team - 5th February 1916
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-13-2019, 03:35
  4. AAR OTT DYM - Mission 1 - "Luftwachdeinst-Sperreflug" (Italian Front variant)
    By ShadowDragon in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-29-2019, 09:18
  5. AAR OTT DYM - Mission 4 - "Some Mothers do 'ave 'em" (Italian Front variant)
    By ShadowDragon in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-10-2019, 04:00