Ares Games

Thread: Pegs and gimbal mounts for Reviresco Models

Default Pegs and gimbal mounts for Reviresco Models

I'm about to start a Reviresco model (Albatros D.III or Pfalz D.III). Any advice with regards to pegs or gimbal mounts.

I'm having trouble with gimbal mounts even for Valom models - I use the Litko peg holder trick for gimbal mounts. I've tried epoxy on the ball bearing which was slightly but only slightly better. I've just tried putting epoxy on the magnet and that seems in a couple of cases worse; so I may remove the epoxy from the magnet. That makes me reluctant to go with a ball bearing glued to the Reviresco model. Due to the leverage inherent with a Litko peg, I don't see that working at all. Thoughts and advice?

Just remembered to post about different size ball bearings, so might make up a few Litko peg holders with larger ball bearings for front heavy planes. Also, I might look for a epoxy or resin with a rubber-like finish or just mix some grit in the epoxy and apply that to the ball bearings.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 05-15-2019 at 06:45.

Rough-up the ball bearing with a fresh piece of emery cloth - when you set the ball in the magnet, you can feel it "grinding" as you change attitude.
    A scratched ball can hold a fairly heavy model in most flight attitudes.

I use this method now, and have given up coating the bearings with paint, or glue, or anything else.

"Homer Simpson" moment - at first I tried to rough-up the ball AFTER gluing it to the plane! The paintwork suffered accordingly!
    D'OH!!!!!

Always find the centre of gravity balance point for the finished plane, and glue the ball / magnet there.
    Using a 'Litko' peg-topper sometimes works, but on some planes the undercarriage gets in the way.
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 05-16-2019 at 05:47.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Rough-up the ball bearing with a fresh piece of emery cloth - when you set the ball in the magnet, you can feel it "grinding" as you change attitude.

I use this method now, and have given up coating the bearings with paint, or glue, or anything else.

"Homer Simpson" moment - at first I tried to rough-up the ball AFTER gluing it to he plane! The paintwork suffered accordingly!
    D'OH!!!!!

Always find the centre of gravity balance point for the finished plane, and glue the ball / magnet there.
    Using a 'Litko' peg-topper sometimes works, but on some planes the undercarriage gets in the way.
    Thanks for that. Will definitely give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post

"Homer Simpson" moment - at first I tried to rough-up the ball AFTER gluing it to the plane! The paintwork suffered accordingly!
    D'OH!!!!!

Roughed up the ball bearings. Worked great. Mine we only glued to litko peg toppers which didn’t mind the Emory cloth at all.

Similar Missions

1. Gimbal Mounts
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 210
    Last Post: 04-09-2023, 18:32
  2. LOOKING FOR Gimbal Mounts
    By Walter Nowotny in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-08-2018, 16:14
  3. Gimbal Mounts
    By Badin23 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6