Ares Games

Thread: BSG Play Test - Raptor and Heavy Raider, 11 May 2019

Default BSG Play Test - Raptor and Heavy Raider, 11 May 2019

Shane [SkyGuy001] and I met at Games & Grounds, Courtenay, Vancouver Island, on Saturday, and test flew the Raptor and Heavy Raider in a quick scenario.

Putting together the play test Raptor and Heavy Raiders: May 2019 Workbench - Post #44

The Cylons put a beating on the Colonials, but not without both the Viper and the Raider leaving paint and metal on a rock.

The table at G&G, with the Starter Set in the foreground, the new Vipers and Raiders on the side of the play mat, and a Raider and Heavy Raider (paper play test model) on the right side of the mat. Shane was looking over the rules, and picking maneuver cards, hiding a Mk.II Viper and the ECM Raptor behind his hands:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190511_124904.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	267493

First turn maneuvers, with the Cylons coming in to stop the Colonials from scanning the planet. No FTL was allowed, due to the "moons" and asteriods all over the system.

Name:	IMG_20190511_125419.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	267494

As the the two sides close in on the planet, the Viper sideswipes the smaller moon, and the Raider is overlapped by the Viper. The Raider would leave paint on the same moon in the next turn. The Heavy Raider passes between the larger moon and the planet, but is still out of range on the Rapter.

Name:	IMG_20190511_132501.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	267495

Close-up of the moon painting party:

Name:	IMG_20190511_132507.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	267496

The Raptor is in a Kinetic Energy Weapon sandwich position, but the Heavy Raider couldn't hit the broad side of a planet in this game. The Raider did some serious damage to the Raptor, though. Unfortunately, the Raptor returned the favour. The Viper was trying not to do an atmospheric dive into the planet.

Name:	IMG_20190511_133802.jpg 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	267497
    Oh. And the Raptor gets the planet scanned by now, too. Can he get away with the info?

This shot was a learning experience. A shallow sideslip brushes the atmosphere:

Name:	IMG_20190511_134816.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	267498

Choosing a wide sideslip put the Viper on a much more comfortable pass on the planet. Shane chose this maneuver:

Name:	IMG_20190511_134901.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	267499
    However, above the planet, the Raptor was taking shots from both the Cylons again. The Raptor had backed up and rotated, attempting to shoot someone. The Heavy Raider took this shot. However, the Heavy Raider couldn't get rounds on target, even with a +3 to hit. The Raider did some more significant damage, with +4 to hit, but no doubles.

Raptor spare parts in an expanding cloud:

Name:	IMG_20190511_141057.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	267500
    The Raider was stopped and the Heavy Raider was drifting by with inertial movement of 1. The Viper is finally coming the long way around the planet.

The Viper gets revenge on the Raider for taking out the Raptor, and turns the Raider into an expanding cloud of spare parts.

Name:	IMG_20190511_142609.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	267501

The Heavy Raider finally, Finally, hits with a shot. And, because the guns do two chits of damage, it puts paid to the Viper. In this particular shot, both of the hits were '+' chits, so Shane had to draw a third. It was a '0', but just an insult to a fatal injury. The moon hit did 8+ and 0, but took out the Overboost option. The few shots from the Raider were nearly insignificant. The 5+ Pilot Wound and 6+ damage was more than enough to take out the ship.

Name:	IMG_20190511_142833.jpg 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	267502

Cylons win!

Things we needed to sort out for these ships: Both are Acceleration 2, and are pigs to fly. The Heavy Raider only has a straight boost, and limited maneuvers. Both Raptor and Heavy Raider maneuver deck currently have 5G Change Direction cards. Ouch!. The Raptor has two Overboost turns, besides the Straight, but they are Difficult Maneuvers. So, does this mean you can't plan a Difficult Maneuver Overboost, and a Difficult Maneuver maneuver card in the same turn? I'm thinking there is a reason the "Boomer" Pilot Card has the Daredevil Talent. That would let the Raptor do both maneuvers together.

And there was a printing error on my Turn Summary and Index sheet (V3.6) The Hull/Wing special damage description states Acceleration restrictions, when it should be Kinetic Energy restrictions. Must have been a Cut&Paste error.

Shane wants a cheat card for maneuvering. One that indicates the max G and Kinetic Energy math, and perhaps the shooting bonuses, so they can be right beside the Vessel Cards on the table. That is a good idea. Watch for that, soon.

Good game, despite the collisions and poor shooting. Just goes to show, having +4 to your hit roll doesn't guarantee you'll even hit.

PS: Did I mention that my FLGS couldn't order in Control Panels, because their Distributor had them on Back-order?
    I got the ships, but no way to put more than four ships on the table at a time, for now. I had to order them in from Toronto as the online store had stocked up on extras. I will be able to put up to 12 ships on a table by next week. And, I will have up to 12 ships to fly by the end of the month, if I build another Raptor and a Heavy Raider. Need to try out Rocket Pods and Missiles, next.

PPS: Raptors are supposed to have a normal Acceleration Rating of 3. Ooops. I'll have to fix my unofficial Raptor card.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-12-2019 at 08:31.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Great game and well done with the heavy raptor. What mat are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Great game and well done with the heavy raptor.

What mat are you using?
    The mat is one at the FLGS, made to fit their Minis table. I don't know the source.

I'll have to check with the owner, and get back to you.
    Mike

And a first attempt at a Cheat Card?

Name:	BSG_CheatCardHalf_All_50b.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	267568
    [Edited already...]
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-12-2019 at 21:40.
    Mike

Nice test game AAR, Mike.

My intention was to open the BGS AAR section with a report from Prague, but you were faster.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Thanks for the report, Mike.

That "cheat" card looks awesome - I'll have to print off a couple of those.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. **** Cole Last Doolittle raider dies
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-11-2019, 20:06
  2. National: Doolittle Raider's Birthday
    By Jago85 in forum US Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2015, 16:35
  3. Doolittle raider dies
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6