Ares Games

Thread: How to play/tutorial videos

Default How to play/tutorial videos

After being inspired by a number of WWII aircraft training films on youtube, I've been having a bit of a tinker with putting together some wings tutorial videos with the same sort of aesthetic.
    The process is a little time consuming an has so far included some experiments in stop motion and animation. I am working on 5 videos that should run around 4-5 min each covering:
    - Basic setup and manoeuvring.
    - Advanced manoeuvring and altitude.
    - Combat.
    - Level Bombing.
    - Dive Bombing.

So far I have most of the shots and animation done for the basic manoeuvre and bombing films and some nifty bits of public domain archive video. For the most part it is now just a case of narration and editing. Unfortunately I lack the ability to recreate either the "Queen's English" accent of RAF or "Go Get 'Em Boys" accent of USAAF training videos of the era.

Anyway as a short taster, the opening minute or so of the first video is here:

Any comments, suggestions, offers of providing better voice-overs, welcome....

Great job, just what beginning players need!

You might what to try to talk a little louder.

Great idea. Looking forward to seeing them all.

That is a good start, Mark. I shall look forward to seeing the completed version.

Good job Mark, clear & concise but I had to crank up the volume a bit. Look forward to seeing some more.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I've always wanted to create this kind of video, and I've never found where I could get good music for it. Where did you get the music you used, if you don't mind me asking?

All the stock video and music is from ww2 era newsreels found on the internet archive: https://archive.org/details/movies
    Just be a little careful as to the licence types if you are going to use anything. A lot is public domain /CC0 but a fair bit is not.

looks great! love the vintage footage, it really adds to the feel of the video. had a bit of trouble understanding what you were saying though.
    subscribed to your channel!

I'm aware its been a few weeks since I first posted this idea. I'm still working on the videos, just a few delays due to real life and lack of a decent microphone. Hopefully get back to them shortly.

This is fantastic! I'd love to see the altitude video!

Thumbs up

Just picked up on this Woof & it looks very promising.
    I agree that the voice over was too quite but perhaps that new mic might fix things.

Great initiative! Keep em coming by all means!

Similar Missions

1. Tutorial: Adding an Avitar.
    By gully_raker in forum Site Rules and Info
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2020, 05:23
  2. Shot down markers Tutorial
    By INIGOHE3 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2019, 13:51
  3. shade and light photoshop tutorial
    By Gallo Rojo in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2016, 14:00
  4. TORPEDO ATTACK - Tutorial
    By Firebrand in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 12:29
  5. Solo: To intercept a bomber (kind of tutorial)
    By Nightbomber in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 16:13