Ares Games

Thread: Card Sleeves for Pilot and Ship Cards

Default Card Sleeves for Pilot and Ship Cards

While putting on a demo of BSG at a (nearly) local mall, I found these sleeves:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190504_102035Comp.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	267256
    Which fit the Ship Cards (and Pilot Cards, which are the same size). These are 2 5/8" X 3 5/8" sleeves (Stock #81126). Perfect!
    Link: Ultra-PRO - 2-1/2" X 3-1/2" Soft Card Sleeves

The cards printed above came from my printer, and show the upcoming Raptor, Heavy Raider, Stealth Viper and Mk VII Viper. These are in my BSG album. Link: OldGuy59's Battlestar Galactica Stuff Album

The Mall Convention, if you are interested: Curious ComiCon 2019 Nanaimo

The Talent Cards are printed by me to fit Mini European (68x45mm) card sleeves, and have the Curious ComiCon logo and date on the backs.

The Viper Mk VII in the image was a gift from Andrea [Angiolillo], the game designer, when we met at PragueCon. My most treasured souvenir of the Lend-Lease trip.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-04-2019 at 21:40.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

It is possible to buy 70mm x 70mm square card sleeves. The manoeuvre cards would fit into those but you may wish to trim off some of the excess.

Here are some photographs of manoeuvre cards in 70mm x 70mm card sleeves.

Name:	IMG_20190615_173853.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	269205Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190615_173916.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	269204Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190615_173833.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	269206
    Last edited by Naharaht; 06-15-2019 at 11:28.

I think card sleeves are the way to go. I find handling these hexacards a pain in the you know where.

I’ve been using the ones listed below as I find them easy to find. The open end needs to be cut on the sleeves, but the sleeves fit perfectly after (note that the small card sleeves are side loaded).

For pilot card (no cutting needed on sleeves for Pilot/ship cards) and upgrade (small) cards (cut sleeves 2” from sealed end for great fit on small cards)
    https://www.maydaygames.com/collecti...s-card-sleeves
    SKU: MDG-7106
    "7 Wonders" Card Sleeves - Magnum Ultra-Fit (65x100mm)

For maneuver decks - cards measure 60mm from side to side
    https://www.maydaygames.com/collecti...z-card-sleeves
    SKU: MDG-7142
    "Space Alert" & "Dungeon Petz" Card Sleeves (61x103mm)

For maneuver decks I now use Mayday 70 x 70mm sleeves. I like the 50 per pack for their thickness as I think the 100/pack are too thin.

Protection was my first concern as the first two games I played I noticed the cards edges were already wearing.

I cut the bottom off so it's equal to the card. I found the hexagonal cards a pain to handle. With the sleeves I find you can keep the decks aligned better for easier access finding what maneuver card you want.

Name:	card sleeves.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	279077

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    For maneuver decks I now use Mayday 70 x 70mm sleeves. I like the 50 per pack for their thickness as I think the 100/pack are too thin.

Protection was my first concern as the first two games I played I noticed the cards edges were already wearing.

I cut the bottom off so it's equal to the card. I found the hexagonal cards a pain to handle. With the sleeves I find you can keep the decks aligned better for easier access finding what maneuver card you want.

Name:	card sleeves.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	279077
    It’s not so much the 50 pack as it is the premium. Any of their premium sleeves are of the thicker plastic, but I agree though, that the non-premium sleeves are way too thin.
    As for the 70x70 sleeves, I started with those, but found the fit too sloppy which makes the cards come out and makes it harder to hold the cards as a “hand of cards” in hand.
    The Space Alert & Dungeon Petz sleeves are 61mm in width where the maneuver decks are 60mm making for a snug fit. Just cut the excess off and you have the perfect sleeves. I use a paper cutter to do the cutting too so I can get the same length each time.

More playing will tell me if I really like the 70 x 70s. If not then I'll take your advice and try the 61mms.

Here’s the difference. On the left is the 61mm, and on the right is the 70mm. Both sleeves’ open ends are at the top of the pic.

Name:	08CB5408-51D7-4354-908D-F75165FAFECF.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	279078

Ok, the 61s look a much better fit. Damn, I had just bought a pile of 70s.

Yeah, I was surprised when I first tried them. It’s so much better, but get one pack and try it. It’s all personal preference. You might like the 70s better after all is said and done, but for me it’s 61s all the way.

As you can see by my photo, I cut down the sleeve to match the flat of the bottom of the card. With the 70s it's a wide edge. I didn't think about looking for a sleeve to match the flat dimensions. Having the smaller edge the open edge would be better. So far I have liked the 70s over nothing but will get a pack of the 61s and give them a try. Thanks for the heads up.

Very helpful info, chaps!

I think I'll wait for Peter to try both types before I commit to a sleeve size.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

These will never fit back in the Starter Set box forms, either solution. However, you can take markers to the sleeves to color-code the decks to keep them from mixing mid-game.

"Life is full of little trade-offs."
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Very helpful info, chaps!

I think I'll wait for Peter to try both types before I commit to a sleeve size.
    Ordered!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    These will never fit back in the Starter Set box forms, either solution. However, you can take markers to the sleeves to color-code the decks to keep them from mixing mid-game.

"Life is full of little trade-offs."
    Sleeved cards are always something to consider in storing as they usually won't fit in the plane/ship box. I put the BSG decks in small zip lock bags and put them under the box inserts. So far that is working.

Would cutting the corner off a 61mm sleeve so that the card fits flush with the model's base instead of inserting the corner below the base be a good idea?

Is either type of sleeve available with coloured backs so that we can use them with the amended Heavy Raider manoeuvre card 6/12?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Would cutting the corner off a 61mm sleeve so that the card fits flush with the model's base instead of inserting the corner below the base be a good idea?

Is either type of sleeve available with coloured backs so that we can use them with the amended Heavy Raider manoeuvre card 6/12?
    You should be able to insert the card so the movement start position is flush with a straight side of the sleeve.

Hmmm, amended 6/12 card? I haven't heard about this one. What's this about?

Ares have published a new Errata/Clarification document including a correction for the Heavy Raider Manoeuvre card 6/12.

https://www.aresgames.eu/23291

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Ares have published a new Errata/Clarification document including a correction for the Heavy Raider Manoeuvre card 6/12.

https://www.aresgames.eu/23291
    Thanks for the link David, hadn't heard about this. I have only had one Heavy Raider in a game but haven't flown one myself yet.

Hmmm... I guess the error on the card was bad enough that it required a reprint, not a "that was intentional" thing.
    Mike

Here are a couple of photos of the cards sleeves I have. I initially used 70mm x 70mm and cut the bottom flush with the card. To me it was a big improvement for card handling. I just got a pack of the 61 x 103mm card sleeves. top photo shows a card in the sleeve and next to it one cut to fit.

Name:	<acronym title=bsg card sleeve.jpg  Views: 33  Size: 133.8 KB  ID: 279457" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Next is a comparison of the 61mm and 70mm. Top of the photo is the 61mm, 70mm on the bottom. The 61mm is slightly smaller making it a bit more square. You can see the difference on the left edge.
    The 61mm has the opening on the side while the 70mm has the opening on the bottom.

Name:	<acronym title=BSG card sleeve 2.jpg  Views: 32  Size: 218.9 KB  ID: 279458" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The 70mm, with the opening cut at the bottom will be more accurate for movement as the card will butt right up to the ship base. The 61mm will be slightly off for movement as the card's bottom won't be directly touching the ship base. So you gain a half to a millimeter of movement, big deal. No problem if all cards are the same.

I'm liking the 61mm x 103mm as the opening will be 9 mm smaller keeping the card in place a little better.

I used the Mayday Games Premium Card Sleeves, 61mm x 103mm, 50 card pack, MDG7142.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 12-18-2019 at 15:43.

Similar Missions

1. Do you use card sleeves?
    By sparty in forum Polls
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 03-07-2024, 09:28
  2. Card sleeves?
    By peterh58 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-16-2021, 09:36
  3. Card Sleeves
    By Ken at Sunrise in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 27