Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 190

Thread: May 2019 Workbench

  1. #101

    Default

    Mike you didn't have to go through all that trouble but much appreciated. BTW the wife is Thai and had to explain that to me. I didn't realize the difference.

  2. #102

    Default

    tNot planes or ships, but with the nice weather, and being on vacation, I took the opportunity to get started on repairing the front garden.
    I found out that:
    I'm not young anymore;
    My car is not a utility truck nor SUV, and does not like cinder blocks! (no damage though)
    I would have gotten the rest of the second course done, but my luck with caulking guns holds true, and I blew through the back of the
    adhesive tube with more than a third left in it


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd course half done 03.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	278.8 KB 
ID:	267970
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd course half done 02.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	300.1 KB 
ID:	267971
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

  3. #103

    Default

    Might need a bit more info before we make a card request . . .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190516_182100.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	334.1 KB 
ID:	267986

  4. #104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    tNot planes or ships, but with the nice weather, and being on vacation, I took the opportunity to get started on repairing the front garden.
    I found out that:
    I'm not young anymore;




    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd course half done 02.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	300.1 KB 
ID:	267971
    Should have got yourself one of these Karl.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7572.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	247.2 KB 
ID:	267989

    With the extension now finished we are working on the inside.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7707.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	267990


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7708.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	267991

    The kitchen fitter starts on second week in June.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7710.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	267992

    Then we look at the garden around the foundations, and start relaying the paths and hard standing.
    Fancy a holiday over here in say July Karl.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  5. #105

    Default

    Good to see the 1:1 modelling going on here, Karl and Rob! My SWMBO would approve... - my 'Honey-Do' list always has some 1:1 scale activities...

    Keep up the good work!

    All the best,
    Matt

  6. #106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Should have got yourself one of these Karl.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7572.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	247.2 KB 
ID:	267989

    With the extension now finished we are working on the inside.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7707.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	267990


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7708.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	267991

    The kitchen fitter starts on second week in June.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7710.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	267992

    Then we look at the garden around the foundations, and start relaying the paths and hard standing.
    Fancy a holiday over here in say July Karl.
    Rob.
    To be fair, your "model" had a lot more digging than mine
    I just had to trench the line for the blocks; the corner at the end was to reduce the digging needed.
    And if I could show up in July, I surely would!

    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

  7. #107

    Guntruck's Avatar Central England Command Squadron Leader & Librarian
    Lt. Colonel

    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Steve
    Location
    Right here!
    Sorties Flown
    9,846
    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default

    The strange thing is: since Rob dug that trench nobody has seen Mrs Kyte.......
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

  8. #108

    Default

    What a great project, Rob! It will really make your winter seasons cosy!
    <img src=http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2554&dateline=1409073309 border=0 alt= />
    "We do not stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing."

  9. #109

    Dawn Patrol's Avatar
    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Bruce
    Location
    California
    Sorties Flown
    240
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
    Attachment 267176
    Then it came to me: Fokker Gulf ET.XL. One quick concept drawing later...now I just have to get my eyes to see that small again.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3AEEF408-117A-4A3D-B133-978FC1A9887A.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	268083

    The magnifiers have arrived! Much prefer this open style to the more hooded one I had years ago. Something this small, I just used a hand brush, but for the base coat, I think I could have justified getting out the air brush. Takes a lot of white paint to lighten the already fairly light blue I had (Liquitex Brilliant Blue). The paint looks darker in the photo then it does actually sitting in front of me (iPad). Did like the visible beams from the magnifier light. Gonna watch the Indy qualifying then back for the orange.

    Edit in: And the bottom three qualifiers are done (Fernando was eliminated!), and now the top nine, but got the orange on....and since the original drawing isnít coming through, letís swap out the photo I just used for the reference look...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2E059F77-CAF2-4DFD-A1D1-ECD9A4701343.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	247.7 KB 
ID:	268085
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C51157BF-AC38-4F3C-9C3C-8561D64CC9DF.jpg  
    Last edited by Dawn Patrol; 05-19-2019 at 14:29.

  10. #110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Might need a bit more info before we make a card request . . .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190516_182100.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	334.1 KB 
ID:	267986
    Source?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  11. #111

    Default

    1901 World's Fair . . . Trip to the moon . . . Will look into it . . .

  12. #112

    Default

    How about the Vincent Price movie Master of the World.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edK8vtndLrg

    Looks like Wings meets Sails

  13. #113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    1901 World's Fair . . . Trip to the moon . . . Will look into it . . .
    Heart of Coney Island.com - Luna Park

    The description of 'A Trip to the Moon at the Buffalo World's Fair (1901)' is near the top of the page.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5beuyEX.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	244.7 KB 
ID:	268088

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17ocmuesdgmn.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	268089
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  14. #114

    Default

    Wow! Must have been quite an experience! Love that era, enjoyed the movie too! Now back to the dam project!

  15. #115

    Default

    Just in from the '60's! The Migs that came in out of the monsoons! Ready for some jet action?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190521_161354.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	268152

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190521_161346.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	268153

  16. #116

    Default

    So after watching a video on youtube about papermache and finding these papermache eggs at the craft store and finding a balloon mold made by the elves a few years ago .
    . any one tried such foolishness? Hmmmmm

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190521_172153.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	268155

  17. #117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Just in from the '60's! The Migs that came in out of the monsoons! Ready for some jet action?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190521_161354.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	268152

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190521_161346.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	268153
    Cards in the Post-WWII section for F-86s and Mig-15s: Scale for Post-WWII - Post #25

    The only cards done for this section have been Korean War, so far as I know. No missiles was the consensus last I looked, so not yet doing Vietnam War planes.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  18. #118

    Default

    Just completed - a Reviresco Pfalz D.IIIa - Ltn Alois Heldmann, Jasta 10

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reviresco Pfalz DIIIa v2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	268175

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reviresco Pfalz DIIIa v4.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	268174

  19. #119

    Default

    Battle weary. Nice paintjob!
    <img src=http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2554&dateline=1409073309 border=0 alt= />
    "We do not stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing."

  20. #120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Battle weary. Nice paintjob!
    Likely over-painting the decal contributed to the battle weariness.

  21. #121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Cards in the Post-WWII section for F-86s and Mig-15s: Scale for Post-WWII - Post #25

    The only cards done for this section have been Korean War, so far as I know. No missiles was the consensus last I looked, so not yet doing Vietnam War planes.
    Don't fret Mike we have tons of fun yet to have. Some quiet afternoon some one will map out some game rules, meanwhile we have the aircraft in patient hangers!

  22. #122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Battle weary. Nice paintjob!
    Love the "look" of these planes, far from sanitized perfection like there never was. Having wiped castor oil off of replica SE5's and DRI's as a kid, I can attest the real things are a bit more characterized like these! Love them! Well done Paul!

  23. #123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Love the "look" of these planes, far from sanitized perfection like there never was. Having wiped castor oil off of replica SE5's and DRI's as a kid, I can attest the real things are a bit more characterized like these! Love them! Well done Paul!
    Thanks, David.

  24. #124

    Default

    Dave are those F-TOYS models ? I have a camo Mig 17 and that's what I based my paint jobs on. Going to work on the F-105's this weekend.

  25. #125

    Skafloc's Avatar Northern Command Squadron Leader.
    Colonel

    Users Country Flag


    Blog Entries
    10
    Name
    Neil (Bullseye)
    Location
    Northumberland
    Sorties Flown
    11,315
    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default

    Thought it had just laid an egg!

    Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    So after watching a video on youtube about papermache and finding these papermache eggs at the craft store and finding a balloon mold made by the elves a few years ago .
    . any one tried such foolishness? Hmmmmm

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190521_172153.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	268155
    See you on the Dark Side......

  26. #126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Dave are those F-TOYS models ? I have a camo Mig 17 and that's what I based my paint jobs on. Going to work on the F-105's this weekend.
    Indeed they are.

  27. #127

    Default

    Feeling a little blue . . .

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190523_002827.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	268228

    More of Hunter's primed Shapeways . . .

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190523_002615.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	268229

    A trio of my efforts, not real colors, just wanted to do some pin stripes . . . just to see if I still can . . .

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190523_002749.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	268230

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190523_002738.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	268231

    This one has been waiting a while . . . kinda liking the "periscope" blue color . . .

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190523_002714.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	268232

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190523_002652.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	268233

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190523_002627.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	268234

    These guys say its time to go for a walk! Then off to bed!


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190523_003103.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	268268
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 05-24-2019 at 12:51. Reason: Walking the dogs.

  28. #128

    Default

    Those are some nice blue planes. I like the color scheme!

  29. #129

    Default

    God to see a few different takes on both aircraft and paint effects Dave.
    What a superior Seaplane!
    Bye the bye, I agree with your dogs, just with the addition of a G&t for me.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  30. #130

    Default

    Peter did some cards for me that you made so thanks for that. I didn't see the link you had until just now. Showed the wife and she said that's they learned in school. I can speak a little Thai but can't read any Thai.

  31. #131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Hmmm... I couldn't find a card for this on the Forum. For any Ki-30, actually. Anyone else know of one?

    Attachment 267855
    [Edited: Now showing "10" rather than "Ten"]

    The script on the card back is supposed to be the Thai numerals for "10". I guess they don't use 1 and 0 to make the number as we do. Things you learn doing cards...

    www.thai-language.com - Numbers
    I just painted some Nate's that I have to decal so that will be this weekends job.

  32. #132

    Default

    Shapeways RAF:

    Pomilio PD (CDL - serial number P. 3824, shown on page 4 of Windsock Datafile 117). Unknown unit.

    Pomilio PD (Camo - shown on page 26 of Windsock Datafile with Ten Eduardo Barbiroglio sitting in the cockpit, but he might not have been the pilot) - 112a Squadriglia Regio Esercito

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pomilio 1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	268276 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pomilio 3.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	268275

  33. #133

    Guntruck's Avatar Central England Command Squadron Leader & Librarian
    Lt. Colonel

    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Steve
    Location
    Right here!
    Sorties Flown
    9,846
    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default

    Good job Paul
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

  34. #134

    Default

    Tasty


    I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

  35. #135

  36. #136

    Default

    Thanks to everyone for their kind comments on the Pomilios….a project on the go simultaneous with the Pomilios was this one....two Valom Sopwith Pups - Lt Oliver Stewart, 54 Sqn, RFC and (with the CDL sides to the fuselage) S/Cdr Edwin Harris Dunning, HMS Furious, RNAS. If the number of cuss words are an indication of getting the hang of Valom kits, then these are my best job so far. Only one photo-etch piece pinged into who knows where - one of the tail skids, but since they were hard to distinguish from the pe joy sticks I used one of those. I thought the struts would be a nightmare but they went very smoothly.

    I must acknowledge mikeemagnus who made this comment on the Official Fokker E.III thread...."Now try the Sopwith Pup Paul and if you succeed with that I reckon you will have cracked it with Valom kits." I don't know about having "cracked it with Valom kits", but I have grown somewhat fond of them....or at least I don't tremble when I open a kit.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valom Sopwith Pup v1 Small.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	268324 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valom Sopwith Pup v2 Small.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	268323 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valom Sopwith Pup v3 Small.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	268322
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 05-27-2019 at 04:26.

  37. #137

    Default

    Very nice "pups! The elves had a fun day while I cleaned the house. These have been calling me from a large box of Hunters, sadly 1/144" scale. But seeing The Cold Blue put me in a squadron mood, possible mobile project . . .

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190525_153351.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	307.0 KB 
ID:	268328

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190525_162358.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	275.1 KB 
ID:	268329

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190525_185007.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	268330

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190525_185629.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	268331

    Of course if a mobile is the plan I will need a few interceptors . . . hmmmm . . . there's a few in that box . . . Monday is a holiday to remember . . .

  38. #138

    Default

    A mobile of a B.17 box formation... nice !

    "He is wise who watches"

  39. #139

    Default

    How will you keep them all facing the same direction?

    Or will it be a true mobile, with chaos in abundance?

  40. #140

    Default

    Thanks, Dave.....and OMG is that going to be some mobile.

  41. #141

    Guntruck's Avatar Central England Command Squadron Leader & Librarian
    Lt. Colonel

    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Steve
    Location
    Right here!
    Sorties Flown
    9,846
    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default

    I've spent most of this month translating a Spanish book of rules into Queen's English and reproducing organisation charts for it, but I did manage to knock out these for our What a Tanker Eastern Front campaign:





    A mixed bag of T34/76, T34/85, IS85, IS1, IS2 and a lone lend-lease M4. Mostly Gale Force 9 and Plastic Soldier Company products.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

  42. #142

    Default

    Clipper do you know how rare and hard to find those F-Toys B-17's are ?

  43. #143

    Default

    Love your Russkis, Steve!

  44. #144

    Default

    Getting closer to finishing my planes for Jasta Greif - the 'big' color sections are done; now I just have to do all the fidly bits...struts, props, cockpits, MGs, tail skids, edges on the lozenge wings...and then decals and individual markings. I have decided on a colored fuselage stripe to differentiate pilots. Since Kurt Wolff (of deceased fame with Jast 11) is my Jasta commander, his Fokker DVII with the red stripes on the top wing will have a purple band around the fuslage (purple being a color he evidently affected when flying Albatros fighters earlier in his career). I haven't decided on the others' band colors yet - probably the usual selection of colors...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1840.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	268344

    These are proving fun to do - creating an imaginary Jasta and still keeping it somewhat 'potentially historical' has been enjoyable. More pics as I get 'em finished...

    All the best,
    Matt

  45. #145

    Default

    Beautiful work, Paul, on the Sopwith Pups And your Russian tanks are dy-no-mite, Steve! And Mister Elf-Master Clipper - those B-17s are insane Lots of great inspirational work this month - thanks for the inspiration, folks!

    All the best,
    Matt

  46. #146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Clipper do you know how rare and hard to find those F-Toys B-17's are ?
    Have, had, no idea at all. There are two large tubs of F-toys. Is there a collectors site? I also have 8 boxes 16 x 16 x 18 filled with 1/144"scale kits, all cello wrapped. At least 15 B-29s! WWII- modern with a lot of cold war bombers, B-57 etc.

  47. #147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    How will you keep them all facing the same direction?

    Or will it be a true mobile, with chaos in abundance?
    Testing a plan to keep trio's aligned into a box with all 10 of them. We will see. Found 2 FW 190 D 's to mix things up.

  48. #148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their kind comments on the Pomilios….a project on the go simultaneous with the Pomilios was this one....two Valom Sopwith Pups - Lt Oliver Steward, 54 Sqn, RFC and (with the CDL sides to the fuselage) S/Cdr Edwin Harris Dunning, HMS Furious, RNAS. If the number of cuss words are an indication of getting the hang of Valom kits, then these are my best job so far. Only one photo-etch piece pinged into who knows where - one of the tail skids, but since they were hard to distinguish from the pe joy sticks I used one of those. I thought the struts would be a nightmare but they went very smoothly.

    I must acknowledge mikeemagnus who made this comment on the Official Fokker E.III thread...."Now try the Sopwith Pup Paul and if you succeed with that I reckon you will have cracked it with Valom kits." I don't know about having "cracked it with Valom kits", but I have grown somewhat fond of them....or at least I don't tremble when I open a kit.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valom Sopwith Pup v1 Small.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	268324 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valom Sopwith Pup v2 Small.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	268323 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valom Sopwith Pup v3 Small.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	268322
    Nice job, great looking birds!

  49. #149

    Default

    Clipper you need to check out Ebay and see what they are worth.

  50. #150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Getting closer to finishing my planes for Jasta Greif - the 'big' color sections are done; now I just have to do all the fidly bits...struts, props, cockpits, MGs, tail skids, edges on the lozenge wings...and then decals and individual markings. I have decided on a colored fuselage stripe to differentiate pilots. Since Kurt Wolff (of deceased fame with Jast 11) is my Jasta commander, his Fokker DVII with the red stripes on the top wing will have a purple band around the fuslage (purple being a color he evidently affected when flying Albatros fighters earlier in his career). I haven't decided on the others' band colors yet - probably the usual selection of colors...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1840.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	268344

    These are proving fun to do - creating an imaginary Jasta and still keeping it somewhat 'potentially historical' has been enjoyable. More pics as I get 'em finished...

    All the best,
    Matt
    Looks nice!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Missions

  1. What's on your November Workbench?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 11-30-2018, 21:16
  2. What's on your workbench----AUG
    By BobP in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 09-03-2017, 21:39
  3. The OTHER workbench . . .
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-08-2015, 04:30
  4. WGF What's on your workbench this February?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 16:20
  5. The Workbench
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 22:58

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •