Ares Games

Thread: Travel to Doncaster and England

Default Travel to Doncaster and England

All,
    Actually, this is for Mike [mikeemagnus], the local organizer of Doncaster (Chris or Neil?), and possibly Neil [Skafloc].

In order to attempt some type of itinerary, I would like to look at the following possibilities:

Plan A
    Arrive Gatwick, England
    Travel by train to Devon, and visit Mike [mikeemagnus]
    Travel with Mike to Doncaster, Thursday 26 Sep
    Attend Doncaster, 27-29 Sep (hotel is currently booked for Friday evening 27 Sep to Monday morning 30 Sep)
    Travel to Nottingham and visit Rob [Flying Officer Kyte] and Eileen (self-invite)
    Travel to Morpeth, Northumberland by train and visit Neil [Skafloc] (another self-invite. North of Hadrian's Wall?)
    Travel to Gatwick by train to head home

Plan B
    Arrive Gatwick, England
    Travel by train to Northumberland and visit Neil [Skafloc]
    Travel with Neil to Doncaster, Thursday 26 Sep or Friday 27 Sep
    Attend Doncaster, 27-29 Sep
    Travel to Nottingham and visit Rob [Flying Officer Kyte] and Eileen
    Travel to Devon by Train and visit Mike [mikeemagnus]

Plan C
    Arrive Gatwick, England
    Travel by train to ? and visit ?
    Travel with ? to Doncaster, Thursday 26 Sep or Friday 27 Sep
    Attend Doncaster, 27-29 Sep
    Travel to Nottingham and visit Rob [Flying Officer Kyte] and Eileen
    Travel to Devon by train and visit Mike [mikeemagnus]

Length of stay is somewhat flexible, but we are looking at two-ish weeks. This could be the two weeks before Doncaster, with Doncaster in the middle, or with Doncaster at the beginning of the trip, and all the visits after. It could be a bit longer, if necessary.

Part of the issue is not knowing how trains work in England, nor the costs. Is this a viable option? It wouldn't be in Canada, but we don't have trains in Canada like there are in Europe nor England.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I can help once you get to Doncaster, will save on Taxi fares etc.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Ps. Trains can be ‘varied’ what with strikes and shoddy management, but again there are enough of us about to help should the need arise

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

My son and I had great experiences with train travel in January while we were in England. We bought 'individual' tickets rather than getting BritRail passes, and I thought the price was rather reasonable. For a two-week trip, a rail pass might be a better deal, as well as allow you more train travel options. We also had a couple of travel experiences with friends driving us places, and that was lovely, too, although riding for three hours in a car is a bit different than riding three hours in a train... The car, of course, offers so much more flexibility.

Sounds like you have the bones of a lovely trip working there!

All the best,
    Matt

Plan A is still a good one from our end Mike No problem at all if plan B is better for you and Donna. I'll still get to see you both at Doncaster. Plan C also looks fine except for the dodgy looking ???? in first part

Yon has her hip op in the local hangar on US independance day, so should be flying normally by September, , although she will not be going to Doncaster.
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 04-30-2019 at 03:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    I can help once you get to Doncaster, will save on Taxi fares etc.
    Chris,
    I will be staying at the Premier Inn, so I hope that there will be lots of options for transportation. As the weekend will be primarily WoG, at least for me, I don't have much need for wheels. Donna will be another story, I suspect.

I have been checking 'Traveline.info' for train and 'coach' (English for 'Bus') travel. Also, it depends on where I end up before, and where I go after, Doncaster, as to what I need for transfers and interim trips. Too much fun!

PS: Hmmm... Duxford isn't close to anyone I'm currently pinging for visits. That might be an issue.
    Mike

Darn! The Bovington Tank Museum is just down the road from Mike's [mikeemagnus] place.

OK, no wings, but darn!
    Mike

The Wings Widows thats Eileen(mrs kyte,) Karen (skaflocs) Jill (guntrucks) and Mary (mrs tikkifriend) organise a jolly during the Saturday games. Previous outings include York, Lakeside and selective garden and craft centres so no need to worry about transport or entertainment for Donna Mike. Mind watch your cards

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Mike, you'll have wheels ok, including throughout Doncaster and if you'd like to visit Donnington it can be arranged

Darn, and other inappropriate language for our Forum...

Any and all in-country travel plans for England are being put on hold for a year. Despite any creative accounting, considering cashing in investments, borrowing money, or perhaps robbing a bank, it looks like Doncaster 2019 isn't going to happen.

Please see the post in this thread: Doncaster 2019 Attendees

Seriously heavy heart...
    Mike

Sorry to see your travels change, we have discovered all our travel revolves around the grandkids. One set is 1000 miles away and the other over 2000. So no Europe or England for us, but the kids are well worth it! Your trip will still be amazing when it happens! Cheers!

Traffic alert for everyone travelling to Doncaster this coming weekend. The World Road Cycling Championship is passing through Doncaster meaning that there are quite a few road closures. However if you approach the venue/hotels from the M18 side then there should be no problems. The closures are between ASDA and the racecourse, so try and avoid that side. I am including my phone number here in case you get stuck or need any help. (I am on holiday this week and will be travelling back to Doncaster on Friday morning hoping to be at the venue a little after 13:00hrs) 07801 064119
    Safe journey folks

Got the heads up today from Premier inns no less in a e mail. Looks like an early tripto asda for supplies for Friday then.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Getting to and from the beer aisle in ASDA won’t be a problem, it’s trying to get through from the other side that will be problematic.

Cheers Chris - thanks for the heads up. Got an e mail from the hotel today, so following their instructions will hopefully get me there ok Thanks for your number - noted

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Cheers Chris - thanks for the heads up. Got an e mail from the hotel today, so following their instructions will hopefully get me there ok Thanks for your number - noted
    Likewise!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. Stuka Travel Office
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-02-2018, 00:09
  2. Travel Channel
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2017, 12:11
  3. Travel to the Netherlands
    By Tokhuah in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15