Ares Games

Thread: Exeter Legionary 2019

Hybrid View

Default Exeter Legionary 2019

The Exeter Legionary show is still on for the 11th May. I have a table booked for a WW1 participation game and I need names if you are able to attend please, so I can let the organizers know.

The venue is as last time, in the Matford Centre on the Marsh Barton trading estate on the fringe of the city and not far from the M5. It is run by the Exmouth Wargames group and the following is a link to their web page:

http://www.legionaryshow.co.uk/

Directions for travelling to the show are given below via another link.

https://exeter.gov.uk/people-and-com...tre/the-venue/

There is, as always, a Bring and Buy sale and if you haven't already seen it, the list of "For Sale" items from Jon Hall will be removed from this site, before Legionary, as Jon will then take the remainder to the show.

I know there is another thread about this event, but the original contained info on PAWS as well, so I thought it best to start afresh

Cheers

Mike

I have been granted clearance Mike - I should be there between half eight & nine if that's appropriate. Let me know if there's anything you want me to bring
    (other than glue for your cloud bases ).

"He is wise who watches"

other than glue for your cloud bases
    Hahahaha

To be quite honest Dave, I had completely forgotten about that - thanks for the reminder Look forward to seeing you there and no need to bring anything except your personal aircraft, which I shall duly attempt to blow out of the sky
    Chau for now.

Last call for Exeter Legionary - the show is this Saturday and I am looking forward to it I know Flash is going to be there and likewise Jon Hall, who is also going to be selling off the remainder of his list of "For Sale" items at the Bring and Buy" stall. The list of models available is currently appearing elsewhere on this site. but I shall remove it from the "For Sale" thread on Friday.
    Cheers all,
    Mike

Have a great show gents.

Yes indeed. Have a good one Mike.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Mike, I'm sorry to say I won't be able to attend this time - I've just got much too much going on at the moment

Hope you have a great time, and drag some more new recruits into the "20 minuters"!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I'm sorry to say I won't be able to attend this time
    No problem Tim - but you shall be missed - take care now.

Cheers all

Pulling some planes together and working up to the early start Mike ! Looking forward to the show and maybe giving Jon some more money !

"He is wise who watches"

Good luck guys... have a good one. Send us some photos

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Send us some photos
    That reminds me..................I have yet to sort out and post the photos from LAST year!

maybe giving Jon some more money

Send us some photos
    I shall do my best Chris

Mike

Do you still need another body? I can make it on Saturday, just not first thing. Could hopefully be on site between 10 an 11am. Happy to make the trip if I can be of use.

Regards
    Neil.

We are quite short handed Neil, I'm sure we'd appreciate the support

"He is wise who watches"

No worries Mike. I will hit the road as early as I can. See you Saturday.

- Neil.

Do you still need another body? I can make it on Saturday, just not first thing. Could hopefully be on site between 10 an 11am. Happy to make the trip if I can be of use.
    Thanks Neil. Look forward to seeing you there. I've already allocated the only two wrist bands available but shall reimburse your entry fee myself

That reminds me..................I have yet to sort out and post the photos from LAST year!

Ready for tomorrow Mike - see you bright and early.

"He is wise who watches"

Yep - all set to go. I'll be there from around 7.30 to help set up. See you when you get there Dave and Neil - safe journeys you guys

PS don't forget to polish your boots

Good luck chaps... have a good one and post lots of photos please...

Well that was a really successful day I must say. Support from Dave, Neil and Jon also made it a lot of fun and the punters obviously enjoyed it too.

Name:  EL2019 1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  234.1 KB

The day began relatively quietly, so we played some warm up dog fights, during which each of us took it in turns to try out the Roland DVI - one of Dave's own paint jobs - and very interesting that was too, wasn't it Dave

The following pics briefly show an encounter twixt Jon and Dave - and Dave drew some pretty lousy damage cards, it has to be said.

Name:  EL2019 2.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  232.0 KB Name:  EL2019 3.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  245.5 KB

Name:  EL2019 4.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  262.9 KB Name:  EL2019 5.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  272.5 KB

Then enter Eva into the fray - she has played before but not a great deal. Took a while to get going but as will be seen, she remained for much of the day, played quite a few games and ended up a winner

Name:  EL2019 6.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  247.8 KB Name:  EL2019 7.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  235.4 KB

Joined by Nick, the two of them took on Jon and Neil. Now Nick was totally new to the game, so initially got knocked about a bit. But he learned very quickly, survived long enough to get a kill before succumbing to the wiles of the experienced Neil. He too came back for more later in the day

Name:  EL2019 8.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  246.8 KB Name:  EL2019 9.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  272.1 KB

Name:  EL2019 10.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  223.4 KB Name:  EL2019 11.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  274.0 KB

Name:  EL2019 12.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  265.4 KB Name:  EL2019 13.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  258.7 KB

Name:  EL2019 14.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  229.4 KB

Enter Richard and dad on the left and Eva's dad Dave, centre right. This was the biggest game of the day with all players now pretty competant (Richard took up the game, mainly WWII, as a result of last years show and dad picked up the game really quickly. Eva's dad Dave has not played much before though and was soon shot down. Not sure if Eva did that to her dad, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Name:  EL2019 15.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  254.7 KB Name:  EL2019 16.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  269.0 KB

Name:  EL2019 17.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  248.9 KB

Anyway, judging by the last picture I managed to take today, Eva was well chuffed - she was the overall winner - last one standing. Well done Eva

Thank yo everyone for making this a most enjoyable event, and that includes all the members of the Exmouth Wargames group who organize it

Cheers All

Mike

Well done guys.. flying the flag most excellently

Thanks to Mike for organizing this extravaganza of dog fights, and to his able wingmen for their support.
    Thank you also for providing the excellent pictures and commentary for the days event.

Kyte.

Yes indeed, big thankyou to Mike, Jon and Neil for their efforts yesterday. I covered myself in glory, blood, dirt and flaming wreckage with my Roland and, as I said to the chaps, I now know why it's called a F deck !
    I will post some pics soon...

"He is wise who watches"

Good to see some young blood taking an interest in the game. Well done lads

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I agree Paul. Just a pity that young chap could not keep his Roland in the air.
    Kyte.

and Dave drew some pretty lousy damage cards, it has to be said....

Yeah, he's not kidding - I was having a pretty torrid time against Mike - first three times out I was just shredded - couldn't get worse than three fours in damage could it....
    Turns out it can !
    Name:  SAM_0918-1.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  181.0 KB

But I did get the hang of it later in the day - eh Mike ?!
    Name:  SAM_0929-1.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  184.3 KB

Neil had a good showing with the Roland, taking on all comers with it - here he is taking on Nick coached by Mike. Neil said it was fine - it was just me !
    Name:  SAM_0921-1.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  182.8 KB

He also took on Rich. This youngster played last year and is no slouch - taking both Neil & Mike on one after the other with a Camel against the Roland giving each a hard time of it and getting close to putting both of them down.
    Name:  SAM_0931.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  157.7 KB

Jeered on by m'colleagues it was then decided it was my turn to take him on (in expectation of the inevitable result...)
    They were to be disappointed as I quickly dispatched Rich.."So, what I don't understand is... What took you chaps so long?"
    Name:  SAM_0930-1.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  180.1 KB

Warmed up by the crew Rich went on to play in the next couple of games and did quite well for himself, even got his dad to play.
    Name:  SAM_0936-1.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  200.2 KB

Another grand day out in good company. Well done to all the players.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for that bunch of photos, and the very erudite commentary Dave.
    Did I perchance notice fire emanating from your Roland in the penultimate photo?
    On fire twice then. Are you after my crown Squadron Leader?
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    ...Did I perchance notice fire emanating from your Roland in the penultimate photo?
    On fire twice then. Are you after my crown Squadron Leader?...
    All part of the plan Rob, to see if I could catch him on fire as I passed !

"He is wise who watches"

Nice Dave I think I had quietly forgotten one of those incidents -

But I did get the hang of it later in the day - eh Mike ?!

Gives us a new understanding for "passing the torch!"

Thanks to everyone for another awesome outing and especially Jon for doing me a deal to relieve him of his unsold bring and buy items

My photos can as always be found on Flickr.

- Neil.

Thank you for your support Neil.
    Rob.

Thanks Neil, for a great day and a bunch of lovely photos

Liking the RNAS wingman for Stackard's Camel, Neil

And I really like the mat you guys used.

Seems like more and more of us are using fantastic custom mats nowadays rather than the official ones. Looks great. Well done to everyone looks like a good day. Thanks for the photos

Great pics Neil, thanks for that

"He is wise who watches"

Liking the RNAS wingman for Stackard's Came ... And I really like the mat you guys used.
    Cheers Pete. One of the Deepcut mats and relatively inexpensive. It was Neil who gave me the motivation to get it, when he used the same one at Yeovil this year. No gaps to line up, the clouds add something very nice indeed and covers an area equivalent to four official mats at half the price. Not to say the official mats aren't good - I like them too, but a change is as good as a holiday (and as far as punters are concerned, the official mats are not always easy to acquire).

The wing man is RNAS 9 B3905 Muryel of B Flight, November 1917. Pilot believed to be FSL C.A.Narbeth - colour scheme taken from Cross & Cockade International issue of Spring 2014 Vol 45/1 There are a few pics of it on my home page which you might like, although at the time of painting I was in a hurry and didn't add the correct serial number - I'll have to get around to doing that one day
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 05-13-2019 at 02:59.

It looks like a great day was had by all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz68 View Post
    It looks like a great day was had by all.
    Yes, sorry I missed it.

Perhaps next year.

It looks like you all had a great time! Thank you for the photographs.

Looks like you had a great time, sorry I couldn't join in as I was on the next table running my own game.
    Nice little show, the only damper for me was that somebody nicked a plane I was selling on the bring and buy

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Nice little show, the only damper for me was that somebody nicked a plane I was selling on the bring and buy
    dammit, its horrible when that happens. Sorry to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Looks like you had a great time, sorry I couldn't join in as I was on the next table running my own game.
    Good to see you again Don, you looked way too busy to join in with us. Shame someone nicked your plane - those buggers need their sticky fingers cut off !

"He is wise who watches"

Yea, I heard about that Don. Really sorry to hear it happened. And I didn't realize you were a member of the Drome either. Must say hello next time around

Yes, sorry I missed it.

Perhaps next year.
    You were missed Tim - shame about that. Next year again hopefully
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 05-15-2019 at 15:09.

One more photo from the show, a panorama shot hand held on a Nikon D7500 and stitched together with Affinity Photo.

- Neil.

Similar Missions

1. Vapnartak 2019
    By Strangely Brown in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 02-07-2019, 05:55
  2. South England PAWS & Exeter Legionary
    By mikeemagnus in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-23-2019, 14:38
  3. National: SPARTACON 2019
    By Chris Maes in forum US Wing