Ares Games

Thread: Running Tripod card

Default Running Tripod card

Looking at the red 'Running Tripod' manoeuvre card in the downloadable 'print it yourself card sample set' and in the downloaded rules, has anyone else noticed that the red 'running' arrow is no longer than the standard blue arrow on the 'straight' manoeuvre cards, yet there is an energy penalty on the red 'running card'. Thus, the only advantage to be gained by running is to allow the tripod to make three straight moves because there are only two normal straight move cards.

Well that is faster in turn then.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Had seen that David but not read up on the rules (for fear of forgetting them before the game got here !)
    You have to play a run or a stationary each turn so a 'run' allows you to push on at the cost of energy I suppose, rather than stopping. I'm sure it will make sense when we get going proper.

"He is wise who watches"

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Having 'run' a game at Origins this year, I wonder if the energy cost for running is a gaming/rules expedient so that the tripods are not all-powerful? Unless the tripod's energy level is reduced, it is really hard to do damage on them...depending on their shields and facing. Each of the four tripod types has a different arrangement of protective shields.

All the best,
    Matt

Phantomxistance

Having been destroyed twice during a tripod game this year, I can only say energy management is huge. And with the smallest walker the deck can zap you fast.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

The small tripod took a bunch of damage in our games at Origins, too, Robb - it seemed the easiest to knock out, by far... I bet one needs to field them in droves...

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    The small tripod took a bunch of damage in our games at Origins, too, Robb - it seemed the easiest to knock out, by far... I bet one needs to field them in droves...

All the best,
    Matt

well, and we ravens got really lucky when swarming it.

Phantomxistance

Haha, yes I got swarmed, but the last kill really was a lucky single shot to the unshielded back. If you are talking first day of Origins that death was me twice.
    Robb

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Looking at the red 'Running Tripod' manoeuvre card in the downloadable 'print it yourself card sample set' and in the downloaded rules, has anyone else noticed that the red 'running' arrow is no longer than the standard blue arrow on the 'straight' manoeuvre cards, yet there is an energy penalty on the red 'running card'. Thus, the only advantage to be gained by running is to allow the tripod to make three straight moves because there are only two normal straight move cards.
    I just got my (huge) box the other day and have spent yesterday and this morning reading the rules.

I ALSO noticed the "running" card and pondered its seeming lack of benefits vs. the normal straight move. The impression I get is that a tripod that moves continuously within a turn expends energy, whereas one that pauses within a turn conserves. The "running" merely means the tripod is moving continuously, not that its moving any faster. With that in mind, I already think a house rule allowing the "running" card to be stacked with ANY maneuver card (i.e., a turn, stall or side-slip) should be considered, as opposed to being restricted to a straight forward move.

I've yet to actually play ... but am looking forward to it!

I don't have the official game yet but I thought the tripods had to plot either a running card or a stationary card every turn? This makes using it mandatory if you are using 3 movement cards and at the cost of power. It could be a balancing tool to make the tripods trickier to play?

They have to play one or t'other - You have to play a run or a stationary each turn so a 'run' allows you to push on at the cost of energy I suppose, rather than stopping. Mike's house rule to apply the energy penalty to any third manoeuvre makes some sense but the designer's intent may be that it can push on and cover distance but be only limited to a straight manoeuvre rather than a more demanding one ?
    Play testing will bring these kinds of issues out.

"He is wise who watches"

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I think the idea about moving quicker/farther using the two straight maneuver cards plus the running maneuver card gives one an energy penalty for 'moving' all three cards is probably on target here. Is your thinking, Mike, that the house rule would allow three movement cards (other than the running card) but you would still take the 1 Energy Cost for that sort of plot? Something like that might allow the Martians more flexibility and make them more deadly...

The running card also is a handicap when encountering terrain features - if you 'run' across any terrain, it will cause you to topple.

Given how tough the tripods can be, it would seem to be not only a game-equalizer figure so the tripod has to expend energy but also an incentive to really think about what cards you plot for your 3-card turn. Since some maneuver cards also have a symbol on them that indicates you cannot plan an action card with that movement maneuver, it really does cause deliberation for the Martian player.

It is going to be fun getting into this game, now that we have the genuine article at our fingertips!

All the best,
    Matt

Good to read what the informed people say here. In the YOU TUBE video I saw they say you must use a fast or stationary move each turn. good to hear for the folks in here.

This is the exact quote from the rulebook, page 9:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tripspeed.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	272579

So, in the three phases of a turn, you can move no more than twice. Unless you use the running card: the effect of running is then that you move in each of the three phases, but at least one of that moves is straight (the running card) and you spend one energy point to do that.

Thanks for the clarification of the rules Andrea

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Origins 2018 AAR - The Fox is Running
    By Bobsalt in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2018, 15:04
  2. My 2nd Tripod game
    By Baxter in forum T&T: After Action Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-24-2018, 07:10
  3. Any interest in getting this back up and running?
    By sparty in forum Trivia Quizzes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-26-2013, 09:55
  4. National: Running WoW/WoG at Con of North
    By wbfritze in forum US Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 21:02