Ares Games

Thread: File Moderation

Default File Moderation

Hello! I couldn't find a better place to post this, so I'll post it in the Officer's Club.

I have a file that I uploaded to the WWII Scenarios section a few days ago, but it's still in the moderator queue. I was wondering if there's any way I could perhaps accelerate that process a bit? (Not meaning to sound rude or anything)

I just want to get criticism and feedback on it from people as soon as possible, so I can take that advice onboard to further scenarios I aim to make.

I just want to get criticism and feedback on it from people as soon as possible, so I can take that advice onboard to further scenarios I aim to make. "

Good morning RobotSpark,

I don't have an answer for you; but wanted to respond so that I may be part of the thread (notifications that is) and am very interested in what kind of answers and feedback you get.

I've lost the wind in my sails when it comes to uploading files to the site; which is regrettable considering the files created by other members and stored on the site are what originally drew me to become a member.

I didn't even know the site existed until I ran a google search on Wings of War (WWI) files and discovered the site is really the only source of such files.

The Aerodrome's Wings of War WWII files are what actually caused me to get into the WWII minis.

In the past It seems that only after excessive pestering of the moderators that the files get uploaded; and even then only after several weeks or months.

As we speak, I have a file pending approval, and will likely abandon the download process going forward.

I'm sure file storage is expensive, and uploading member's files is not a focus; additionally, the files I've created tend to be large and generally only appeal to a narrow number of members.

I really have no room to complain.

Thank you for posing the question and subject for discussion,

Chris
    Last edited by THECCRICH; 04-20-2019 at 05:24.

Interesting thread.

I have recently attempted to have files made available to Forum members, and thought things were perhaps slow. I will put my concern behind me, considering the above information. My files were delayed by a few days.

If I were to speculate, my files were basically one, or two, page pdf images. Simple to review, requiring little time to approve. I don't know to what level of review scenarios are subjected, nor how many administrators are available to do that review. I suspect that any reviewers are volunteers, and therefore of limited availability, which puts large, complex files on a seriously delayed path.

I am concerned that members are having to wait weeks, and even repeatedly send reminders, to get files approved.

I look forward to the official response, and could offer to assist as a file reviewer, if that would be helpful.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

For those of you wondering, my file is a 2-page PDF that's 123KB in size. It's just a simple generic dive-bombing scenario, with some simple rules for automated vehicle movement (in a straight line, that is).

Sorry guys, your files have just been approved.

The issue is that the file approval process is not automated and no one even gets an email or PM saying a file has been uploaded. So unless we just happen to go look for new files or someone PMs one of the Admins, there is no way for us to know a file is waiting to be approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    The issue is that the file approval process is not automated and no one even gets an email or PM saying a file has been uploaded.
    Thanks for approving our files! It is a shame that you don't get any PM's or notifications when a new file is uploaded - perhaps a megathread, where people can post once they've submitted a file to be uploaded? I don't know how enabling PM's for a specific thread works, but that may be a potential solution.

Hmmm....

Well, I went looking for info on file uploading, or moderation guidelines, in order to answer the original question. Failing to find a guide or information, I wanted to find to whom to address a heads-up concerning this thread, to get an official response, in case it missed their eye. I didn't find any help.

I recall seeing something, recently, concerning the issue of contacting an administrator by PM to have file uploads approved. But, even being a member of this Forum for a few years, I remain clueless of how some processes work, and whom should be PMed for specific subjects.

Which highlights a need for an entry in the FAQ part of our Forum, perhaps? Or, did I miss something?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thank you for approving the files Kieth, and thank you for managing the site sir,
    Chris

Similar Missions

1. File moderation
    By Foz in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-12-2015, 08:06
  2. File Approvals
    By 7eat51 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-04-2015, 23:08
  3. Looking for File
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club