Ares Games

Thread: Valom Fokker Dr.I ready for painting

Default Valom Fokker Dr.I ready for painting

...and I'm ready for the loony bin.

In keeping with Florian's comment that you need 2 Valom kits - the first to practice and the 2nd to do right (or at least better), here are the practice Fokkers. Spot the strange error...answer below the pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valom Fokker Dr.I - 1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	266699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valom Fokker Dr.I - 2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	266700

It seems that I used the cabane struts for the undercarriage struts and the undercarriage ones for the cabane struts. Go figure....I blame aging eyes that make it hard to read the wee part numbers and that to me it seemed that only a lunatic would use such flimsy bits for the undercarriage. I should have read this first:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/clas...014-t1437.html

I can confirm all the points in that post as being spot on.

Anyway, there's not much difference in length between the pieces. One arm of the undercarriage is 6.5 mm while the other is 7.0 mm and both arms of the cabane piece are also 7.0 mm. So my two have a 0.5mm longer undercarriage strut. Ares has done worse. But I can tell you - as I have 4 more Valom Fokker Dr.I to make - that (1) using the proper cabane piece will make that a lot easier and (2) I WILL NOT use the supplied piece for the undercarriage. I will make my own.

Final point - I thank Florian for his hints on the SE5a but it's worth noting that every Valom kit has unique problem solving challenges. Anyone tried the Albatros DVa...if you have, how the heck did you deal with the engine brass piece. Mind blowing that anyone expects a modeller to use that piece successfully.

Done....I curse when assembling the model but I'm happy as can be when painting, but when it came time for the decals (really poor quality in this particular package) it's back to cursing. Fortunately I had a second set to use.

Fokker Dr.I - Raben and Jacobs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fokker DrI - Raben and Jacobs 1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	256.3 KB 
ID:	266779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fokker DrI - Raben and Jacobs 2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	266780Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fokker DrI - Raben and Jacobs 3.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	266781

Nice results!

Glad to see you ignored the 'Valom' mistake on the engine cowling of the 'Raben', and completed it in the correct white, not red.

What trouble did you have with the decals?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Nice results!

Glad to see you ignored the 'Valom' mistake on the engine cowling of the 'Raben', and completed it in the correct white, not red.

What trouble did you have with the decals?
    I’ve learned that one should augment the valom instructions. I used the Eduard instructions as my painting guide.

The outer most cross for the rudder disintegrated when I tried - as gently as possible to remove it. No problem with the cross next to it. I have 3 valom Fokker Dr.1 kits so I used the decals from that to replace the cross - same problem with the outer cross. All kits are from the same sources so it could be old kits (I’ve only ever seen this problem with old decal sets) or a manufacturing problem with a batch of decals. Similar but not as bad a problem with the cross for the upper side of the bottom wing.

Great looking aircraft - well done!

Great work, Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Great work, Paul!
    Thanks, Adie and David.

Similar Missions

1. Valom Fokker D.VII 1/144 kit
    By Captain Knowitall in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-01-2018, 07:22
  2. Valom Models- Fokker Dr.I
    By viper in forum Hobby Room