Ares Games

Thread: AAR OTT DYM - Mission 1 - "Luftwachdeinst-Sperreflug" (Italian Front variant)

Default AAR OTT DYM - Mission 1 - "Luftwachdeinst-Sperreflug" (Italian Front variant)

Not having had balloons until last week I had to hold off on mission 1 until now....so without further ado:

Scenario 1 - Luftwachdeinst-Sperreflug
    Over the Trenches (OTT) – Daring Young Men (DYM) Campaign (The Italian Front)

The original scenario by Skafloc is here:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...916-by-Skafloc
    The original scenario is set in January 1916, my Italian Front variant is set in Oct/Nov 1917 – at the time of the Battle of Caporetto, 24 Oct – 19 Nov 1917.

The Story

Hauptmann Michael von Taaffe starred at the late morning sky searching for aeroplanes. “They should be back by now. They’ll be getting low on fuel,” he muttered to himself.

Michael’s unit was a new one – someone higher up thought it would be a good idea to attach a unit of rookies to one with more experienced aircrew. So it was that Flik 55J bis was created and attached to Flik 55J. Flik 55J itself was relatively new but it had some experienced pilot including some aces – Julius Arigi and József Kiss. Georg Kenzian was nearly there. Michael had known their commander, Hauptmann Josef von Maier for some time. Josef was unusual for an aristocrat in that he treated the other classes almost as equals.

“What ever the outcome of this war it will be a new world where family and lineage matter less than merit”, he once told Michael.

Michael wasn’t as sure about that but he did see that they needed good pilot regardless of their class. Sure or not, he could go along with Josef’s ‘program’.

Flik 55J bis was not yet complete. Michael had just three pilots. Only one was experienced – Feldwebel Alexandr Svoboda had flown as a pilot for Michael when Michael still flew as an observer. Alexandr – Sandy - came from a well to do family in Bohemia and had been sent to study in America – Princeton, which is where he got the nickname, ‘Sandy’. He liked it and kept it when he returned to Bohemia.

The other two were rookies who had never flown a combat mission – Zugführers Pablo Pavlich and Karoly Horváth.

“Funny to give someone a Spanish first name, but his mother must have been infatuated with all things Spanish”, thought Michael. “Well, I shouldn’t complain, my cousin is named Ryan because of his grandmother. Thank goodness Pablo doesn’t put on a false Spanish accent like cousin does an Irish one.”

Ryan von Taaffe was slated to join the command in a few days. Michael had mixed feelings about that.

“A funny trick by those who make these decisions”, reflected Michael. Ryan could be fun as he was carefree the way Michael could not be which is why Michael looked much older even though Michael was only a year older, but he also had a knack for getting into trouble. “Still they need bold, aggressive pilots and Ryan could be bold and aggressive.”

Two other pilots had not yet arrived – one was a rookie, Leutnant Wolfgang von Augustin and a pilot with just enough experience to not be thought of as a rookie, Feldwebel Günter Neumann. And just to add to this mixed bag a German observation flight was attached to the Flik as the Germans did not think the Austrians capable of reconnaissance.

An hour earlier Michael had sent Sandy on a routine patrol with one of the rookies, Pablo, so that the rookie could get some flight time.”

“They should be back”, Michael cursed. “Have they run into a swarm of enemy trouble?”

Two specks appeared in sky that soon became the aeroplanes. Soon they were landed. Both pilots jumped out of their aeroplanes – full of excitement. The rookie, Pablo, was shaking.

“Sit down, Pablo. We’ll get something to calm you.” Michael turned to an orderly and ordered some brandy for Pablo.

Everything looked peaceful enough. Two of their observation balloons – drachen they were called – were ahead of them gracing the skies with their dark brown and bright yellow colours. But then three enemy planes appeared across No Man’s Land. Clearly they were after the Austrianr drachens. Sandy signalled Pablo to climb and go to the right of the brown balloon while he took the more dangerous route in between the balloons - straight into the midst of the fast approaching Italian Nieuports. No sooner had he done that then an anti-aircraft gun fired at Sandy ripping some holes in the fabric of his Albatros.

“What the….(expletive deleted)?” exclaimed Sandy. “Don’t those idiots know we’re friendly aeroplanes?”

Below the AA gun was commanded by a rather thick solder, Korporal Alfred E. Schmidt. As chance would have it the senior gun commander was ill with dysentery and Alfred was left in command. Not being too bright, Alfred couldn’t tell one type of aircraft from another. He had a simple philosophy for targeting – “If it flies, it dies”. The other two guns protecting the drachen, didn’t have as much of a problem identifying enemy planes. They fired on the ones approaching from the enemy side of No Man’s Land.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turn 1.2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	266666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turn 1.3.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	343.8 KB 
ID:	266665

S/Ten Pietro Guzzoni was the first to engage the drachens but he was too far away and his bullets fell short of the yellow drachen.

Name:	Turn 2.2.jpg 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	266664

On the other flank Pablo’s appearance was a surprise. Ten Armando Cittadella was an experienced flyer and quickly adjusted – letting off bursts from the synchronised Vickers and the above wing Lewis machine guns, but Pablo was too quick and Armando’s bursts went wide. Pablo banked to the right and fired his twin Schwarlose. He was right on target and ripped off bits and pieces of the Nieuport’s left wing. In the centre, Sandy felt like he was the ‘target of the day’ as Pietro, S/Ten Alberto Sofragi as well as Korporal Alfred E. Schmidt all targeted him. Fortunately for Sandy only Alberto’s aim was on and Sandy give as good as he got. Mind you he was regretting not having a bomb or two to drop on the Austrian AA gun crew below…..to teach them a lesson about aeroplane identification.

Name:	Turn 2.3a.jpg 
Size:	272.5 KB 
ID:	266663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turn 2.3b.jpg 
Size:	324.4 KB 
ID:	266662

The Italian pilots, however, had their sights set on the drachens and flew past the aeroplanes of the Dual Monarchy. Alberto, not having been distracted by Pablo’s attach closed in and fired on the brown drachen causing enough damage so that the observer bailed from his basket under the drachen. Not being able to separate friend from foe, the AA gun on the flank of the brown drachen fired into the midst of swirling aeroplanes – narrowly missing Pablo. Pietro with his jammed guns kept an eye on Sandy but not on the yellow drachen….at least not until he heard the crack from his Nieuport.

Name:	Turn 3.1a.jpg 
Size:	307.5 KB 
ID:	266661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turn 3.1b.jpg 
Size:	294.7 KB 
ID:	266660

Finally Armando closed in on the brown drachen. Both he and Alberto fired on their target, but only Alberto’s bullets found their mark. Sandy spun his aeroplane around in an Immelmann to come in on the tail of Alberto but had no more luck than did Armando.

Name:	Turn 3.2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	266659

Alberto ducked under the drachen…..close, just close enough to shake off Sandy.

Sandy had anticipated Alberto’s manoeuvre and looped over the brown drachen and got a good shot at Alberto. Fortunately for Sandy, Korporal Alfred E. Schmidt’s aim was not so good as yet again he had targeted Sandy.

“No bombs, eh? Maybe I should just fly low and spit on them”, thought Sandy.

Name:	Turn 4.1.jpg 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	266658

By now Pietro, with his guns unjammed, had come around for another go at the yellow drachen but had spotted Sandy. Both exchanged fire for equal damage but Pietro was having trouble with his guns as they jammed yet again.

Name:	Turn 4.2b.jpg 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	266657

On the other side of the drachen, Pablo and Armando circled each other. The AA gun on the drachen’s flank barked again. This time narrowly missing Armando – one of the few times the Austrian gunners actually came close to hitting an Italian plane.

Name:	Turn 4.2a.jpg 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	266667

The near miss, however, distracted Armando who did not see Pablo coming in for a close range shot that slammed into the Nieuport’s engine as well as Armando’s shoulder. Unable to control his Nieuport he nearly collided with Pablo.

Name:	Turn 4.3.jpg 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	266668Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turn 5.1a.jpg 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	266669

While Pablo and Armando engaged in a close air to air duel, Alberto was circling the brown drachen and firing to little effect. Sandy had again reversed his Albatros and ended up on Pietro’s tail. A burst from his two Schwarlose hit Pietro in the leg and arm and cut the critical control cables on the Nieuport, which spun downward out of control.

Name:	Turn 5.1b.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	266670

Armando fought to stay conscious and to control his Nieuport but it was to no avail as the undercarriage of Pablo’s Albatros sliced through the rear of the Nieuport’s fuselage – miraculously for Pablo with minimal damage to his aeroplane’s undercarriage.

Name:	Turn 5.2a.jpg 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	266671

Having eliminated his opponent, Sandy searched for Pablo and the other Italians. Yet again he was the target of the ever diligent Korporal Alfred E. Schmidt.

“Fortunately their aim matches their intelligence,” thought Sandy.

Name:	Turn 5.2b.jpg 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	266672

The other AA gun crew was having a bit more luck identifying friend from foe, but their aim was no better. And this time, neither was Sandy’s aim as he came upon Alberto circling the brown drachen.

Name:	Turn 5.3.jpg 
Size:	233.1 KB 
ID:	266673Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turn 6.1.jpg 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	266674

Sandy spotted Pablo heading back to the aerodrome. At the time thought the rookie’s aeroplane had been seriously damaged. He did not know it that the collision with Armando had really shaken the young rookie, who not able focus on the combat headed for home.

Alberto having flown past Sandy decided to have a go at the yellow drachen and was rewarded with a splendid burst of flames from the balloon. He wasn’t even bothered by the poor shot from Korporal Alfred E. Schmidt’s AA gun.

Name:	Turn 6.3.jpg 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	266675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turn 7.0.jpg 
Size:	251.7 KB 
ID:	266676

Seeing one flames erupting from one of their charges, the AA gun on the flank of the brown drachen fired at the only plane in range – Sandy’s. Fortunately, the AA battery was a new one and hadn’t really got the knack of firing at moving aeroplanes.

Name:	Turn 7.1a.jpg 
Size:	265.4 KB 
ID:	266677

Having critically damaged the yellow drachen, Alberto turned his sights on the brown one only to have his Vickers jam.

Name:	Turn 7.1b.jpg 
Size:	258.7 KB 
ID:	266678

“Well, I still have this flare pistol”, thought Alberto. He flew in a close as he could to get a good shot and was rewarded by a tremendous explosion. We was smiling and didn’t see the loose cable whip around and snag his propeller.

Name:	Turn 7.2.jpg 
Size:	284.4 KB 
ID:	266679

See that all of the enemy Nieuports were down, Sandy turned his machine and headed for the aerodrome. Over his shoulder he could see the yellow drachen being slowing being consumed by flames.

“I suppose it’s a failed mission”, thought Sandy but he had seen the observer parachute out of the yellow drachen so their losses amounted to just the two drachen while the enemy had lost three Nieuports.

Name:	Turn 8-13.jpg 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	266680

“That’s quite the tale”, remarked Michael as Sandy finished the story with only a few excited comments from Pablo.

Gaming comments: I flew Pablo’s airplane and as a rookie on his first flight I didn’t allow him to fly Immelmann turns. I misjudged the space and just managed to end up with the edge of Pablo’s base over the edge of the mat. So I had him head home.
    Collisions – it was the first time I used the altitude rules so decided to play the collision rule as written but treating situations where both sides draw a ‘0’ as a near collision. It would do it slightly different next time as the balloon bases occupy a large foot print. Mind you I could have had the Italians flying one level higher or lower to avoid a collision entirely but I was still getting used to the altitude rules. I miscounted the number of movement steps for a balloon to descend one level which is why some of the earlier photos show the balloons at level 6, which was 2 levels too high. I fixed it mid-game and lowered everyone by 2 levels.
    Oeffag 153 versus Albatros D.III – I could have used the factors for the 153 but used the D.III’s as I thought the 153 factors would be too much of an advantage over the Nieuport 17s. FYI – I’ve order 4 Oeffag 153 from Shapeways which were shipped yesterday. I will be painting these up as planes from the parent Flik – Flik 55J, which would be Arigi, Kiss, Kenzian and Maier. Eventually I will get 2 more 153 and do Alexander Kasza and Franz Lahner.

Butcher’s Bill

Flik 55J bis

Fw Alexandr ‘Sandy’ Svoboda / RTB / 1 kill
    Result = All Good / 1 Kill

ZgFhr Pablo Pavlich / RTB / 1 kill
    Result = All Good / 1 kill

Name:	Results - Flik 55J  bis.jpg 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	266681

Italian Squadriglia

Ten Armando Cittadel / COL ET / KIA / 0 kills
    C&W: roll = 4 – 2 (COL) = 2 (KIA)
    Result = KIA / 0 kills

S/Ten Pablo Guzzoni / SD ET / WIA / 0 kills
    C&W: roll = 11 – 1 (WIA) = 10 (all well)
    E&E: roll = 8 -1 (ET) -1 (WIA) = 6: injured: roll 6 = skip 2
    Results = skip 2 / 0 kills

S/Ten Alberto Sografi / COL ET / 0 kills
    C&W: roll = 9 – 2 (COL) = 7; injured: roll 2 = skip 1
    E&E: roll = 3 -1 (WIC) -1 (ET) = 1; captured
    Results = POW / 2 kills

Name:	Results - Squadriglia.jpg 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	266682

Drachen results – the brown drachen exploded and the yellow drachen burned up just as it reach the ground. Both observers had parachuted safely out of the ballons.

Name:	Results - Brown Balloon.jpg 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	266683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Results - Yellow Balloon.jpg 
Size:	248.1 KB 
ID:	266684

VICTORY POINTS

Entente = 1 point for AH plane leaving + 2 X 5 points for destroying balloons = 11 points; divide by 3 planes = 3.7 points
    Central Powers = 3 X 2 points per plane shot down = 6 points; divide by 2 planes = 3 points

Entente Victory - albeit a Pyrrhic one
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 04-17-2019 at 13:38.

Another impressive AAR, Paul.
    I like your Flak bursts and explanatory notes.
    Good to see your new sausages in action.

REP gun, like several in your story, jammed.

Thumbs up

Some great visual additions to your AAR's Paul. Very inventive.
    Ye Gods! Those collisions did more damage than anything except the Flames.
    Costly Victory to the Italians in that stouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Another impressive AAR, Paul.
    I like your Flak bursts and explanatory notes.
    Good to see your new sausages in action.

REP gun, like several in your story, jammed.
    Thanks, Pete. My Rep gun is jammed too. I think I need to go give rep points to some random posters.

The flak burst is from a set of fireworks bursts. The biggest challenge was finding which program would cut out the desired burst whilst keeping the background transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Some great visual additions to your AAR's Paul. Very inventive.
    Ye Gods! Those collisions did more damage than anything except the Flames.
    Costly Victory to the Italians in that stouch.
    I think Michael von Taaffe needs to talk to the troops and suggest that there are other ways to take down an enemy plane than ramming...ie I need to re-think my collision rules.

Yes...very costly. One KIA and one PoW out of three. Too bad Alberto was captured. He was a promising character.

Nice one Paul, if you want to cut down the number of collisions then you should adopt the method most people use which is a collision only occurs when you can't place a model because its base overlaps the peg of its opponent. Some even play it that both pegs would be covered by opponents base. The net result is far fewer collisions than you'd otherwise have as overlaps are very common.
    There are also 'Collision Card' options where players draw a card to see if their pilot took action to avoid the collision. Here is an example:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=1165
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=1164

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Nice one Paul, if you want to cut down the number of collisions then you should adopt the method most people use which is a collision only occurs when you can't place a model because its base overlaps the peg of its opponent. Some even play it that both pegs would be covered by opponents base. The net result is far fewer collisions than you'd otherwise have as overlaps are very common.
    There are also 'Collision Card' options where players draw a card to see if their pilot took action to avoid the collision. Here is an example:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=1165
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=1164
    Good suggestions, Dave. I have played the "no collision unless a base overlaps a peg" method. As it was my first time using altitude rules I wanted to see that affected collision so I played the rules as written. I may revert to the peg method combined with using altitude or the card method if not using altitude. In the case of this game play a lot (actually all) balloon-plane collisions would have been avoided if (1) I had used more I in the AI and (2) made better use of altitude for the Italian planes when engaging the balloons (i.e., one level difference would have avoided collisions and even made it easier for them to engage - albeit with a range adjustment. It would have made the game longer.

Of course, damage from 'collisions' can be rationalised as damage from a stressful manoeuvre and not per se from an actual collision - but there'd still be too much of that as has been noted.

Some nasty collisions there Paul. They hurt lots I seem to remember Good win for the entente although, as you say, a very costly one. REP inbound

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Some nasty collisions there Paul. They hurt lots I seem to remember Good win for the entente although, as you say, a very costly one. REP inbound
    Need to improve my driving skills.

Armando’s collision involved bases overlapping pegs so that’s a fair result. Even without a collision Alberto might have been taken out by the exploding balloon. That leaves Pietro who would likely have survived another turn or so.

Good to see the new balloons in action along with some nifty photo manipulation. Neat write up.

It's interesting to see the same game played by different people being dominated by different effects rather than them all being similar, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Good to see the new balloons in action along with some nifty photo manipulation. Neat write up.

It's interesting to see the same game played by different people being dominated by different effects rather than them all being similar, if that makes sense.
    Yes, that makes sense. I look for game results that help make a story. I’d replay a game if it was boring. Hasn’t happened yet.

I think I’m edging towards the cartoon storyboard visual effect.

Thank you for the good, imaginative A.A.R., Paul! Those Austrian A.A. gunners need a strict telling off and lessons in aircraft recognition. Was there a game mechanic, which made them fire at their own side?

Sorry, but my rep. gun is also jammed.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you for the good, imaginative A.A.R., Paul! Those Austrian A.A. gunners need a strict telling off and lessons in aircraft recognition. Was there a game mechanic, which made them fire at their own side?

Sorry, but my rep. gun is also jammed.
    Thanks and no prob with jammed rep guns - happens as often as in the games.

Yes, there was a scenario rule for friendly fire. I had to adjust it as it was specific to early 1916 Western Front (ie fire at any monoplane). I think I used something like fire at an AH plane if no Italian one in range. Can’t remember for sure but I do remember seeing the planes move, the timing of the guns reload and thinking, “oh no, not again”. Hence the post game creation of Alfred E. (what me worry) Schmidt. After I did the photos I realized ‘Alfred E. Neuman’ would have been just as Germanic.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon
    After I did the photos I realized ‘Alfred E. Neuman’ would have been just as Germanic.
    So very true. I can almost hear the voice: "What? Me worry about collisions?"

I do like the quite inventive use of the flare gun when the machingegun jammed. Desperate times call for desperate measures, it is said.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    So very true. I can almost hear the voice: "What? Me worry about collisions?"

I do like the quite inventive use of the flare gun when the machingegun jammed. Desperate times call for desperate measures, it is said.
    Saw the flare gun used in the MvR movie and thought that be a cool explanation of the collision results (history is a fiction written to explain the data). Had to check that it wasn’t an anachronism in the movie. Too bad the pilot was captured. Need to do something about that.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT DYM - Mission 4 - "Some Mothers do 'ave 'em" (Italian Front variant)
    By ShadowDragon in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-10-2019, 04:00
  2. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-18-2019, 12:45
  3. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-31-2018, 06:12
  4. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory at "Etna Comics" and "Settimo in Gioco" (Italy, September 2012)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 09:19
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39