Ares Games

Thread: AAR Congress of Gamers, Spring 2019

Default AAR Congress of Gamers, Spring 2019

In the end, I was only able to interest one player, by the name of Matt, in wings of Glory. But he was new to the game, and seemed to enjoy himself, and seemed to pick up on the game, and how easy it was to learn and play.

We did not use altitude since there were only two of us, and I don’t think it would have added anything to the game in this case. We did use some optional rules, like tailing (which never actually came into effect), the aim rule, and collisions only occur if the peg of an aircraft overlapped the base. No ace abilities, I wanted to teach the game without too many complications.

Matt flew Ball’s Nieuport 17, while I flew Richthofen's D-III. We used only one mat, started at either end, and shifting laterally as necessary to keep planes in the play area. Only the entrance edges counted as “safe zones” for flying purposes. And after the first three maneuver rounds, it looked like I had Matt in a bad position; and in fact was able to get in a burst before, guess what? Instant gun jam.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1. After first three moves.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	266613

Name:	2. First shot, my guns gam.jpg 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	266614

Frustrating, because after a quick Immelmann, I was in a good position. Just wasn’t able to do anything about it. Twice in a row, in fact.

Name:	3. After Immelmann.jpg 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	266615

Name:	4. Second.jpg 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	266616

Then he decided to do the same: we almost collided, just as I had finally cleared the jam.

Name:	5. Nieuport Immelmann.jpg 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	266617

Much more twisting and turning, and he was finally able to get in a damaging shot: my engine started smoking.

Name:	6. Smoke.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	266618

After more maneuvering for position, we both accepted a head-on pass, and this time, it was his engine that started smoking.

Name:	7. Head-on pass.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	266619

Thumbs up

Hopefully another convert to the game Sam!

Another try to post part 2, see what happened with that weird "quota" thing, which I'm still getting.

Edit tot he edit: nope, I'm still getting the quota error.
    Lather, rinse, repeat, and I finally got in a deflection shot.

Name:	8. Next shot.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	267265

Some more circling, then his turn for a deflection shot

Name:	9. Nieuport defelction shot.jpg 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	267266

Finally, it seemed I was going to get in some real results. But guess what, my guns jammed again, naturally enough, when I had a chance for some aim bonus, as well.

Name:	10. Another jam.jpg 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	267267

Name:	11. Continued Jam.jpg 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	267268

then came a head on pass that I somehow managed to miss taking a picture of; I by far got the worse of that exchange, taking a 4 damage card, and a pilot woud, to boot (close-range).

The scenario ended with me running for home

Name:	12. Flying home.jpg 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	267269.
    I had a pilot wound, and had taken 12 of the 14 damage points: I found out after the game, that I had dealt out 10 or 11 that the Nieuport can. Close game, and that makes, for me, and enjoyable one as well. I just hope that was also Matt’s point of view, it seemed to be.
    Last edited by zenlizard; 05-05-2019 at 12:42.

The "Quota" may be something to do with your Membership level...............

Each level has a set limit of picture space allocated, and you can't go beyond it.
    If you upload your pictures @ a full 5500 x 3500 pixels, you'll soon run out!

Even with Gold membership, I resize my photos down to 700 x 500 or so, to preserve plenty of space for future projects.

Ask Keith via PM - he'll let you know whether this is the reason for your "quota" problem.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Even with Gold membership, I resize my photos down to 700 x 500 or so, to preserve plenty of space for future projects.
    What Tim said Sam. I resize all of my pics now. Had the same problem as you initially and was having trouble uploading. Down sizing the pics resolved the problem. The membership level also helped a lot

Anyway, nice AAR. looks like you had some fun there

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    The "Quota" may be something to do with your Membership level...............

It does seem to be the case: I typically re-size my photos to the point where they're around 7" or 8" (17.78 or 20.3 cm) in the longest dimension. Typically give a 500+ pixel size, depends on resolution of course. Nevertheless, even with re-sizing, one eventually hits the wall.

Well done for introducing someone new to this great game.

It is my primary aim at the smaller gaming conventions, or the science-fiction conventions that have a game room I participate in.

Managed to do it again at the just past GCoM Parkville Game Days. No pictures, though, out of upload space I haven't done anything about yet. But I did run a couple of scenarios with two people I introduced tot he game. Lot of fun.

Similar Missions

1. Spring is in the air
    By Baxter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-21-2018, 01:40
  2. Congress of Gamers, Summer Session, 2018
    By zenlizard in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-24-2018, 16:21
  3. Anyone going to Congress of Gamers August 26th?
    By Sagrilarus in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2017, 14:29
  4. Spring HBM 1/200 Scale Newsletter
    By Ragnar200 in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2015, 09:20
  5. Mini Campaign: The Spring Offensive
    By rkwright in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-06-2014, 04:27