Ares Games
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Series 4 Reprint

Any infos about included ace cards?
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Yep, Series 4 has landed at the Ares warehouse and they will be shipping to stores this coming week.
    Will that shipment also include the replacements for Weber and Fonck from the series 1 reprint???

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Will that shipment also include the replacements for Weber and Fonck from the series 1 reprint???
    I do hope so - I'm still waiting for Keith to dispatch a large order to me, which is waiting only upon the missing replacement planes.
    I'd like them to reach me before Doncaster, but I fear they will be too late for that.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

mabusa

Did anybody else noticed the bad quality of the reprinted planes? I just bought two of them and there are so much mistakes. The plastic parts are bad cleaned and the decals come of on both models. The paint also isn't that nice and aren't really nice put together. No comparison with the quality of the old Wings of War models.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I do hope so - I'm still waiting for Keith to dispatch a large order to me, which is waiting only upon the missing replacement planes.
    I'd like them to reach me before Doncaster, but I fear they will be too late for that.
    Unfortunately, these are not arriving with the S4 reprints. I am looking into a solution for those orders that are awaiting just those planes.

Quote Originally Posted by mabusa View Post
    Did anybody else noticed the bad quality of the reprinted planes? I just bought two of them and there are so much mistakes. The plastic parts are bad cleaned and the decals come of on both models. The paint also isn't that nice and aren't really nice put together. No comparison with the quality of the old Wings of War models.
    Which two models?

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Any infos about included ace cards?
    As reprints, there won't likely be Ace Cards in them. None of the Series 1 reprints had them, at least none of the ones I opened.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

The aircraft attribute, pilot & skill cards started coming with the series 9 release, series 3a, a reprint, arrived with cards & according to those lucky few who snagged some series 4 models at GenCon they also came with cards (higher MG etc for SE's).
    Odd they didn't do any for the series 1 models. Maybe it's only done for the models Ares are printing for the first time ?

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I‘m afraid that is true.

I was curious for the A/H Weber Ace card...

Quote Originally Posted by mabusa View Post
    Did anybody else noticed...

No comparison with the quality of the old Wings of War models.
    Nothing new.

We will not see the Nexus Game quality for such a cheap miniature (flight stand/pegs/movement cards) again.

But I noticed, that there was a loose decal on the Bäumer Fokker Dr.1 height rudder underside.

At all - the new minis look awesome on the gaming mats, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    I‘m afraid that is true.

I was curious for the A/H Weber Ace card...
    Fair enough. Given that the AH Rudolf Weber (WoG) Albatros DV is very, very close in paint / decal scheme to that of the DE Ludwig Weber (WoW) Albatros DV, it would have seemed appropriate to include an ace card for the Rudolf Weber.

By they way I've not found any online examples of an Albatros DV for Rudolf Weber. The Osprey books on AH Aces and AH Albatros Aces do not credit him with any victories in an Albatros DV. The Aerodrome lists 5 of the 6 kills with a Hansa-Brandenburg CI and 1 unknown. It lists his planes as the CI and the Phonix. Never mind Rudolf Weber's Albatros DV I can't seem to find any pictures of any AH Albatros DV.

Seems a curious choice given the many, many options for great German Albatros DV colour schemes....or if you want to do a plane for Rudolf Weber then why not a Hansa-Brandenburg CI? Maybe I'm missing something.

mabusa

Fokker Triplane (Kempf) and Albatros (Richthofen). Sorry I didn't found the thread for this reprint series I just wanted to give a general dissapointment

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
    Heck, I am going to get two Bishops, since the Se5 seems to be given a distinctly different deck than the Se5a. One will be left as Bishop - heck, I am not repainting Fonck just because he was a pompous ass, why repaint Bishop because he was a weasel (to say nothing of Goering)? ;-)

Really looking forward to my favorite British plane at long last reappearing - I have been unwilling to pay the high premium that getting these used demanded. My avatar will at last return to the Se5a once I actually have my hands on one. Won’t be buying extras of any of the others, but will probably get one of each.
    *Poof*
    Avatar is finally an Se5a with Bishop and McCudden finally gracing my collection, and will probably add one each of all three at some point soon.

Kinda curious- all sorts of comments between the announcement of these and now about people intending to buy tons of McCuddens, maybe a token Dallas, and sneering at Bishop, but with the Se5 having its own unique deck, I would have thought more would have said they’d be buying multiple Se5s, but really haven’t seen it.

The only I bought 3 each of Bishop and McCudden and skipped Dallas initially, but ordered one after seeing the ace cards included with the others.

Brings my total to 12 with my Nexus ones.

Got my set in yesterday and am thrilled they come with ace and other cards. I purchased 1 of each except the Rumplers as I already have 2 each of the first release. Only 1 Rumpler for the extra ace+ cards.

Now to open the SE5 to see how it's deck is different!

An issue about the German cockade marking of the Rumpler C.IV Zieger (WGF211C), left on picture.
    The miniature has eisernes Kreuz cockade (that is correct according to historical pictures), while the plane card has balkenkreuz (from April 1918) like the previous Wings of War Rumpler C.IV 8012/17 (ref WOW149C), right on picture.
    As it has a similar painting scheme, the same plane card may have been used for the WOG card.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	532F3260-FCF5-46D7-96F7-2DE451F985A5.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	293053

Concerning the RAF SE.5a McCudden (WGF124C), a little misspelling on the card “Enhanced SE.5a” :
    “... a four blade propeller taken from a captured LVG C.V.” (and not LGV C.V).

Ares has been informed of both issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54E61ABE-1E33-4052-B50B-0E0F386AB647.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	293054

Funny you should bring that up Monse, I have just ordered a McCudden from Keith today.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Desperate for a McCudden, my favourite British pilot.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

We need a Series 7 but I will take different paint jobs on Series 4.

Thanks David

A late presentation of the serie
    RAF SE.5a : SE.5 (Bishop) - SE.5a (Dallas) - SE.5a (McCudden)
    PFALZ D.IIIa : D.IIIa (Berthold) - D.IIIa (Holtzem) - D.III (Voss)
    RUMPLER C.IV : Luftstreitkräfte 8231 - Luftstreitkräfte 8256 - Ziegert
    BRÉGUET BR.14 : BR.14 B2 (Escadrille Br 111) - BR.14 B2 (Escadrille Br 127) - BR.14 A2 (Stanley/Folger)

On the back of each box, a short historical presentation in English of the aircraft and the squadron.
    Each box includes several crew skill and aircraft technical feature cards.

PFALZ D.IIIa

The presentation of Pfalz D.IIIa on the website of Ares Games
    Sculpture and paintings are very successful for the 3 Pfalz D.IIIa miniatures.
    The first two models have straight crosses affixed from April 2018, the Voss model has iron crosses prior to April 2018 (pilot killed in September 1917).
    Each decoration is really different from model to model.
    BERTHOLD: Beautiful dark blue paint and brick red front of fuselage, with the pilot's personal insignia (the sword of vengeance topped by a pair of wings).
    HOLTZEM: the only one of the 3 figures whose wings are covered with a diamond camouflage (underneath the 2 wings and above the lower wing). The fuselage is surrounded by white and black stripes topped by the pilot's badge, a comet. Black tailplane.
    VOSS: front of the fuselage in yellow and green empennage. The serial number of the aircraft DIII 1370/17 appears distinctly on the sky blue fuselage.

Wings of Glory / Wings of War reissue model comparison

- HOLTZEM: the WOG version has no camouflage on the upper wing unlike the WOW version, as a period photo seems to show.

- VOSS / KLEIN
    This is not a reissue but the photo allows to compare the improvements of the WOG model.
    Radiator grill on the upper wing painted in gray on the WOG, while it is the same color as the wing on the WOW (it is however in gray on the WOW plane card).
    Engine painted in dark aluminum gray on the WOG, lighter gray on the WOW.

Skill cards
    Precisions concerning some issues in the text (answers by Andrea) :

STRONG CONSTITUTION
    “Only the damage points of the first Crewman hit damage card are taken into account.”
    “If the observer is incapacitated, he can’t neither use his machine gun, nor take a photography.”

STUNTMAN
    “If he uses this skill, the Ace must announce the direction chosen (left or right) before revealing his straight maneuver.”

RAF SE.5a

The presentation of the RAF SE.5a on the website of Ares Games.
    The paint is uniform and covers the surfaces well.
    The SE.5 BISHOP has a nice dark blue decoration on the front of the fuselage, on the vertical tail and on a rear fuselage strip, which enhances the standard green paint scheme of British aircraft.
    N maneuvering deck for the 2 SE.5a, Fr maneuvering deck for the SE.5 Bishop model (maneuvers identical to the N but with a lower speed like the Camel).
    Four-blade propeller only on the MC CUDDEN SE.5a model, which equipped most of the first SE.5a models (but not the SE.5, nor the later SE.5a series). The historical criteria are respected, as shown by the period photos.

But the quality of the assembly is totally random on these 3 models.
    Some players have nevertheless acquired flawless models.
    The 3 figurines in the picture have different anomalies:
    1) The upper wing is crooked, so the struts are not glued to the wings.
    2) The landing gear struts interfere with the altitude support.
    3) The lower wing is not attached to the fuselage, nor to the struts connecting the left side wings.

In a few minutes, the repairs are easily done with glue.
    SE.5 (Bishop) top wing removal:
    1) The top wing is glued in a correct position.
    2) The rear part of the landing gear struts is glued in its original position.
    3) The left struts are glued to the lower wing and the two wings are held together with two fingers for 5 minutes to ensure that the repair is effective.

Comparative model reissued Wings of Glory / Wings of War

- DALLAS : Two blades propeller on the WOG, four blades on the WOW.
    The cockades and sand color are darker on the WOG model, giving it a more authentic look.
    The machine gun is in an aluminum color and the engine exhausts in dark gray, colors more harmonious than on the WOW model.
    According to an historical picture, the model shouldn’t have a headrest.

- WOG MC CUDDEN / WOW BISHOP (it is not a reissue)
    Same remark concerning the darker cockades.
    The green paintings are quite the same on both models.

Skill cards

RUMPLER C.IV

The presentation of the Rumpler C.IV on the website of Ares Games.
    An elegant and slim two-seater, with very nice decorations.
    The LUFTSTREITKRAFTE 8231 model has a camouflage with hexagons on the upper (green shades) and lower (purple shades) surfaces.
    The lower surfaces of the other 2 models are light blue.
    However, on the 3 models, the junction of the vertical and horizontal tail is not covered by the camouflage paints, leaving a light blue stripe (the painters will easily repair this defect).

Comparative model reissued Wings of Glory / Wings of War

The rear machine gun and the engine block are in a dark aluminum color, more successful than the light gray of the WOW model.

- LUFTSTREITKRAFTE 8231 : the camouflage colors are a bit darker on the WOG model.
    The shades difference is more visible on the 2 aircraft cards, with a greener look on the WOG card.

- WOG ZIEGERT / WOW 8012/17
    This is not a reissue, but the photo allows you to compare the more harmonious hue of the paint on the WOG model.
    On the other hand, the drawing of the WOW Airplane card has been reused on the WOG Airplane card, which erroneously represents an airplane with straight crosses on the wings while iron crosses are present on the WOG figure.

Skill cards
    Precisions concerning some issues in the text (answers by Andrea) :

ROOKIE PILOT
    ”A rookie pilote cannot fire the forward MG immediately after executing an Immelmann turn, a Split-S or any steep maneuvre that is not a Dive.”

BREGUET Br.14

The presentation of the Breguet Br.14 on the website of Ares Games.
    The largest single-engine two-seater model made by Ares so far.
    The STANLEY/FOLGER model (American) is an A2 version (reconnaissance) with an H maneuver deck, faster than the K of the other 2 B2 models.
    No WOG model has 2 front machine guns, so there is no machine gun on the upper wing (unlike a WOW model).
    Rear armament: single machine gun (damage B) on the Escadrille 111 model, twin machine guns (damage A) on the 2 other models.
    The decorations and paintings are varied and differ between the 3 models (whereas 2 were identical in the WOW series).
    Two series of 6 bombs are materialized and painted under the wings.
    The light color of the elegant AUDINOT/HELLOUIN DE CENIVAL model is nuanced by the imposing engine block painted in aluminum (as well as half of the front machine gun).
    Camouflage paint covers the engine of the other 2 models (which is correct according to the representations).
    The wheel flanges have a different color for each model.
    The struts connecting the upper wing to the fuselage are still missing (as on the WOW models).

Wings of Glory / Wings of War model comparison

WOG ESCADRILLE 111 / WOW GREFFIER (it is not a reissue)
    On the WOG models, the uprights connecting the wings are painted in dark gray and the machine gun in aluminum, colors more suitable than the light gray of the WOW models.
    The WOW landing gear is painted with two colours, only one colour for the WOG model.

WOG STANLEY/FOLGER / WOW BROWNING/DUKE (it is not a reissue)
    Same remarks as the previous comment.

Skill cards

Last edited by monse; 12-26-2022 at 16:36.

What to say more that this comparative research work is once again perfect !
    Thank you Simon

Yes, excellent comprehensive review once again!

It's just a shame that both Pfalz D.IIIa models are actually Pfalz D.III instead, but I guess it was necessary to use just the one mould for the two slightly different airframes.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Great work Simon, thank you.

That's some seriously deep diving. Nice work! Rep gun jammed, though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Missions

1. Series 1 reprint
    By Angiolillo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 173
    Last Post: 10-12-2021, 06:08
  2. WGF: Series 4 Reprint on the Way...?
    By Dan-Sam in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 11-08-2018, 19:07
  3. Series 3 Reprint
    By bgeipel in forum WGF: General Discussions