Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Series 4 Reprint

Default Series 4 Reprint

I just received word from Ares that the Series 4 reprints are due in store this June! I have requested photos of the new releases, but until I them I'll just have to post the pilots/units that are being released...

Pfalz D.IIIa
    Berthold
    Holtzem
    Voss

SE5a
    Bishop
    Dallas
    McCudden

Rumpler C.IV
    Luftstreitkrafte 8231
    Luftstreitkrafte 8256
    Ziegert

Breguet BR.14 B2
    Escadrille BR 111
    Audinot/Hellouin de Cenival
    Stanley/Folger

More to follow...

YAY!!!!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thank you for letting us know this, Herr Oberst. I feared that they would be delayed until the Autumn.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

This is great news, Keith! Glad there is finally some 'definite' information on these little devils - the Pfalz and SE5a scouts will sell like hotcakes, I imagine...

All the best,
    Matt

Great news Keith. Thanks for the heads up

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown
    Last edited by Karo7; 03-26-2019 at 01:20. Reason: Deleted image of wrong plane

Very good news. Not so good news

No, I can't say no.

Great news. I will definitely pile on the SE.5a bus with a side of Pfalz to go.

The Rumpler and Breguet I will need to get a look at to see if I need any more than I already have, although I will probably get one of each just to complete my collection.

Smile

Yeh! I have been sweating on this release as I want the McCudden SE & the Bishop one to modify (not a BB fan!) & Berthold's Pfalz is a must.
    I already have the Voss Albatross & 2 other Pfalz D.III's.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 03-27-2019 at 16:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Karo7 View Post
    Stanley:
    The Breguet 14 on the picture above is not US crew Stanley/Folger but French crew Greffier/Marseille (2009 Wings of War serie - WOW148A).

Bréguet 14 A2 (Stanley/Folger) nº10 is part of the U.S. 96th Aero Squadron

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

@monse: Thank you for the info. I've deleted the record. Now thats even better: another new paint scheme. I like the Mephistopheles symbol.

WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is an enticing little group of aircraft.
    Never got enough 5as in the stable.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Just Published on Ares :
    https://www.aresgames.eu/games/ww1-w...airplane-packs

According to the information on miniature´s bases :
    the maneuver deck of Rumpler C.IV is the medium speed H (instead of low speed K in Wings of War version).
    It seems not be accurate as Rumpler C.IV has a top speed of 175 km/h.
    Maybe it is to show its excellent performance at high altitude where very few allied planes could reach it.

Breguet 14 A2 has a H deck, while Breguet 14 B2 has a K deck (like Wings of War version).
    Breguet 14 A2 is a recon version and B2 is a bomber version.
    Some A2 version were equipped with more powerful 400 hp Renault engine. So it may be the reason the Br.14 A2 has a faster deck than B2.

Another change is for Bishop’s RAF SE.5 (not SE.5a) which has a Fr maneuver deck.
    F deck (medium speed) has quite the same maneuverable as the SE.5a N deck (high speed), but with non steep maneuver for 90° left and right turn.
    So maybe the Fr deck has the steep 90° left and right turn.

PFALZ D.IIIa
    Berthold - Holtzem - Voss

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9375CE1C-5C60-43CB-892E-64B6F05F6012.jpeg 
Views:	416 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	265210

Name:	A3C55071-A9B7-401E-BCA2-0484A1A76F74.jpeg 
Views:	420 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	265211

Name:	414C654F-FD38-4608-A46A-9899A84AC701.jpeg 
Views:	421 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	265212

RAF SE.5a
    Bishop (SE.5) - Dallas - McCudden

Name:	BD8E8031-7BC2-48BD-8C59-EB1D6A2AADD4.jpeg 
Views:	422 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	265213

Name:	5678A80F-7D52-4401-8ACA-B1F85275E73E.jpeg 
Views:	422 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	265214

Name:	33D51FA9-2BD4-4DDE-AC2A-248764502327.jpeg 
Views:	414 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	265215

RUMPLER C.IV
    Luftstreitkrafte 8231 - Luftstreitkrafte 8256 - Ziegert

Name:	B834687C-C4D5-40EC-A3F0-1C8CFB1D590B.jpeg 
Views:	417 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	265216

Name:	73A9B9FA-946F-4224-89C5-334FAF456670.jpeg 
Views:	419 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	265217

Name:	C36AADAA-23E5-429F-A385-842CA2041015.jpeg 
Views:	423 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	265218

BREGUET BR.14 B2
    Escadrille BR 111 - Audinot/Hellouin de Cenival - Stanley/Folger (BR.14 A2)

Name:	AABCE401-AE64-4468-9427-9F278FBBE2F6.jpeg 
Views:	419 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	265219

Name:	B9BE9996-F3C5-4AB6-889E-C92C90704DE5.jpeg 
Views:	421 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	265220

Name:	79DFF4B5-8B18-4489-B091-4798134B08AC.jpeg 
Views:	423 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	265221
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EF7FB426-67D2-40C9-A415-5D19144B527E.jpg   F7B5B478-D2E7-45D4-9424-C37C27CD3074.jpg   43C752E8-CD64-4C5E-8D98-C7530BFA66BB.jpg   937EC399-5D60-49E8-BB41-94B49931EA95.jpg  
    Last edited by monse; 03-26-2019 at 07:25.

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    Just Published on Ares :
    https://www.aresgames.eu/games/ww1-w...airplane-packs

According to the information on miniature´s bases, the maneuverable deck of Rumpler C.IV is the medium speed H (instead of low speed K in Wings of War version).
    It seems not be accurate as Rumpler C.IV has a top speed of 175 km/h.
    Maybe it is to show its excellent performance at high altitude where very few allied planes could reach it.

Breguet 14 A2 has a H deck, while Breguet 14 B2 has a K deck (like Wings of War version).
    Breguet 14 A2 is a recon version and B2 is a bomber version.
    Some A2 version were equipped with more powerful 400 hp Renault engine. So it may be the reason the Br.14 A2 has a faster deck than B2.
    Thanks for posting the images they added overnight (for us US pilots) and good catch on the subtle changes to the decks.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Looks like I will be picking up all of these beauties..., and more than one of some... Thanks for posting the pictures, I think...

All the best,
    Matt

These are fantastic looking planes. Will definitely picking up extra SE.5as. Can't wait to start the repainting.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Love the new versions! Looks like a few will be multiple buys for repaints.

The Pfalz damage points seem to have fallen from 16 to 14 ?

The Rumplers have gone up from 15 to 16 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    The Pfalz damage points seem to have fallen from 16 to 14 ?

The Rumplers have gone up from 15 to 16 ?
    Would the change in damage to the Pfalz bring it back into line with period planes, or was it actually tougher than its peers? 16 is the SPAD XIII aerial tank damage.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

The Pfalz D.III was tougher than anything else the Central Powers had.

It didn't have the sesquiplane weakness of the Albatros D.III (it had a twin spar lower wing)

It could dive like a brick (its power dive was superior to all its competitors)

It had a multiple plywood applique fuselage, stronger than the Albatros line.

14 damage points is a mistake.

Seems like a Pfalz economy to me then Tim.

Unless they issue us new cards for any changed aircraft mine will fly on the published cards, and any new aircraft will be deemed to have been damaged in a previous engagement. I am fed up with having to change stats, and print off sets of new movement cards just to placate the fine tuning of the new aircraft. I'm damned if I will start doing it for existing ones as well.
    Rob.

Who at Ares actually sets the aeroplanes' statistics?

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Yeh! I have been sweating on this release as I want the McCudden SE & the Bishop one to modify (not a BB fan!) & Berthold's Pfalz is a must.
    I already have the Voss one & other D.III's.
    Heck, I am going to get two Bishops, since the Se5 seems to be given a distinctly different deck than the Se5a. One will be left as Bishop - heck, I am not repainting Fonck just because he was a pompous ass, why repaint Bishop because he was a weasel (to say nothing of Goering)? ;-)

Really looking forward to my favorite British plane at long last reappearing - I have been unwilling to pay the high premium that getting these used demanded. My avatar will at last return to the Se5a once I actually have my hands on one. Won’t be buying extras of any of the others, but will probably get one of each.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post

Unless they issue us new cards for any changed aircraft mine will fly on the published cards, and any new aircraft will be deemed to have been damaged in a previous engagement. I am fed up with having to change stats, and print off sets of new movement cards just to placate the fine tuning of the new aircraft. I'm damned if I will start doing it for existing ones as well.
    Rob.
    I don't like those changes, too. I hope there will be an official comment for clarification of the issue. On the other hand: the strength of WGF are scenarios and having fun, not dead serious tournament play like X-Wing - so what the heck about changed stats.

Is there a reason why the Holtzem Pfalz doesn't have the camo pattern on top of the wings any more? The WoW model did have one.
    Is that supposed to be a different plane, or was the camo pattern a mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinweasel View Post
    Is there a reason why the Holtzem Pfalz doesn't have the camo pattern on top of the wings any more? The WoW model did have one.
    Is that supposed to be a different plane, or was the camo pattern a mistake?
    Hmmm... Not sure, but I'm finding different color schemes online for Max Holtzem. Some have a white upper wing, with a black star (Wingnuts), and some have a lozenge camo upper wing.

Could both be right, depending on the day?
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-26-2019 at 19:19.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

The Wingnut Wings Pfalz kit shows a silver upper wing top surface. Their research is usually highly reliable.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

It's happening!!!

2017 guys, that's 2 years since our last planes! Now we have both S.1 and S.4 repaints out in just a couple months!

Here's to Kickstarter and its filling the coffers!

those are looking AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up and info on the modified manoeuvre decks. Interesting changes!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Hmmm... Not sure, but I'm finding different color schemes online for Max Holtzem. Some have a white upper wing, with a black star (Wingnuts), and some have a lozenge camo upper wing.

Could both be right, depending on the day?
    My understanding is that both schemes (Silbergrau and lozenge) are correct, representing two different aircraft, but I'm at work & have no access to my references.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post

Rob.
    Me too.

The new Pfalz stats are identical to the Albatros D.III - same old, same old.

Quote Originally Posted by Karo7 View Post
    I don't like those changes, too. I hope there will be an official comment for clarification of the issue. On the other hand: the strength of WGF are scenarios and having fun, not dead serious tournament play like X-Wing - so what the heck about changed stats.
    The problem here is that, unless you want to tie one hand behind your back, there will no longer be any incentive to fly a Pfalz D.III.

It will no doubt come with the potentially crippling (but justified) "Unreachable Guns" card, so a jam will force early exit from a scrap. (Fortunately, this will NOT apply to the Pfalz D.IIIa).
    But for only 1 fewer damage point, you could have a Fokker Dr.1, with superior climb and superior manoeuvrability.
    For the same (14) damage points, you could fly an Albatros D.III, with identical climb and manoeuvre deck, but without the jamming problem.
    For the same (14) damage points, you could have a SS D.III, with superior speed, superior climb, and superior manoeuvrability.
    For 1 damage point MORE, you could get an Albatros D.Va, with superior speed as well.

Why on earth fly the "new" Pfalz D.III stats?

The 16 damage point toughness was the first, best reason to fly it as an alternative to other planes; take that away, and you're left with a "lemon" which I think few folks will want to fly out of choice.

I have to agree, the one thing the Pfalz D-III had over the Albatros was its structural integrity. Dons't seem to make sense to change it.

Eh, my incentive to fly planes is to replicate historical matchups, not because they are the "best". Historic pilots didn't get to always choose what they were flying.

By the way, isn't there a handicap system for combating unequal aircraft?

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Eh, my incentive to fly planes is to replicate historical matchups, not because they are the "best". Historic pilots didn't get to always choose what they were flying.

By the way, isn't there a handicap system for combating unequal aircraft?
    My incentive is primarily to have fun, and I do like to fly inferior planes against superior enemy machines ( a stance you HAVE to take if you fly Germans in this game!). But many of my opponents don't!
    I have always favoured "rubbish" troops - in ancient gaming my favourite unit is my Sassanid levy spearmen, and when building army lists I always incorporate a good (high) proportion of average-poor troops; they're so much more fun!

I'm currently painting Fokker E.I Eindeckers, so I can use the 'XD' deck instead of the superior 'T' deck of the E.III, and I'll always love my Vickers "Gunbus", no matter how crap it is!
    But changing the Pfalz D.III stats to exactly match the Albatros D.III makes the Pfalz D.III too "samey"..........if it's no different, why fly it?
    As it used to be, it was slow and unmanoeuvrable, but with a higher damage total it was DIFFERENT, and a good ground strafer or balloon buster.

I would expect sales to be a little lower if this revised damage total is true.

There isn't a handicap system that I'm aware of (and there shouldn't be - as you said, players should learn to fly what they are given against whatever historical opponents appear on the other side of the table), but there is a semi-official but arbitrary and unconvincing "points" system.
    No one I know uses it, though.

I like the cut of your jib sir. Let's throw our inferior machines at the enemy. You never know, you might just get lucky, and return to be the toast of the Mess, or like me just turn out to be toast.
    Kyte.

There isn't a handicap system that I'm aware of (and there shouldn't be - as you said, players should learn to fly what they are given against whatever historical opponents appear on the other side of the table), but there is a semi-official but arbitrary and unconvincing "points" system.
    No one I know uses it, though.
    I rather imagine the semi-official but allegedly arbitrary and unconvincing “points” system is the “handicap” system. The WoG system isn’t quite sensitive enough - or doesn’t emphasize the right things - to replicate the performance and drawbacks of the real planes at times. If the Pfalz flies the same as the Albatros, and is tougher, and yet by all accounts was an inferior plane to the Albatros D.V and D.III - why would anyone fly it if it was made only the same? Because that was what he was assigned! Whiners will be shot! ...or maybe given a Fokker D.II. :-)

Thumbs up

The problem here is that, unless you want to tie one hand behind your back, there will no longer be any incentive to fly a Pfalz D.III.

It will no doubt come with the potentially crippling (but justified) "Unreachable Guns" card, so a jam will force early exit from a scrap. (Fortunately, this will NOT apply to the Pfalz D.IIIa).
    But for only 1 fewer damage point, you could have a Fokker Dr.1, with superior climb and superior manoeuvrability.
    For the same (14) damage points, you could fly an Albatros D.III, with identical climb and manoeuvre deck, but without the jamming problem.
    For the same (14) damage points, you could have a SS D.III, with superior speed, superior climb, and superior manoeuvrability.
    For 1 damage point MORE, you could get an Albatros D.Va, with superior speed as well.

Why on earth fly the "new" Pfalz D.III stats?

The 16 damage point toughness was the first, best reason to fly it as an alternative to other planes; take that away, and you're left with a "lemon" which I think few folks will want to fly out of choice.
    I agree Tim!
    I will just change the damage points on the card & base to 16 as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I will just change the damage points on the card & base to 16 as it should be.
    So will I.

I will also buy fewer of these new planes, and will intensify my scouring for more of the old Nexus ones instead.

I have to wonder if someone at Ares assumed the D.III was the same as the Albatros version.

So will I.

I will also buy fewer of these new planes, and will intensify my scouring for more of the old Nexus ones instead.
    Hmm . . .funny thing I just have a dozen of the Nexus ones . . . .

Even with the same stats as the Albatros D.III, there is still the aesthetic reason to still play the Pfalz. Both the Berthold and Holtzem are good looking planes. Don't get me wrong on this, I would have much preferred they stayed at 16 points as well, I just don't see it as the death of the Pfalz (it never really was alive in our local games anyways).

So will I.

Why would it matter if you buy old or new for repaints since you would most likely be doing new cards for them anyway?

Is there a post that lists all the "new" paintschemes in one place? I guess all the Pfalz kind of count as new, since the wings of the Holtzem went from lozenge to blue. Is that right?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Is there a post that lists all the "new" paintschemes in one place? I guess all the Pfalz kind of count as new, since the wings of the Holtzem went from lozenge to blue. Is that right?
    Sure is Kev. Just scroll up until you find the posts with all the models with the new colour schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Even with the same stats as the Albatros D.III, there is still the aesthetic reason to still play the Pfalz. Both the Berthold and Holtzem are good looking planes. Don't get me wrong on this, I would have much preferred they stayed at 16 points as well, I just don't see it as the death of the Pfalz (it never really was alive in our local games anyways)

Why would it matter if you buy old or new for repaints since you would most likely be doing new cards for them anyway?
    The pictures do indeed show good looking planes - I will buy my usual 2 of each (one for play, one for my collection) and will assess their quality at that point; I didn't say this will be the "death" of the Pfalz D.III, just that I believe that fewer will be bought with these new stats, and fewer will see the table because of this.

For repaints, the older, 'Nexus' minis have been far superior to the 'Ares' ones - just look at the Fokker Triplane! The slab wings, the "hiding-below-the-parapet" rudder on the 'Ares' ones.
    And the DVa - the horror struts, and teeny-tiny wheels on the 'Ares' models; these things make the 'Nexus' planes much more suitable for collecting & repainting (IMO).
    Another plus of the 'Nexus' planes is the old-style decks - I can actually READ what's on them, and they don't disappear into the terrain mats like the 'Ares' ones do.

As for cards, well, I can't make 'em! Not from scratch, anyway. I can modify the stats on them, using "Paint", but can't change the image. Plus, I much prefer the old-style plane cards over the new style, so I have to rely on the Card-meisters to make them for me.
    I'm intermittently working on an overlay label, which would cover the stats on all of my hundreds of existing cards (just requiring that the converted cards be sleeved, for longevity) and this would be applied to the old-style cards, for preference.
    Buying lots of new 'Ares' Pfalz D.IIIs would leave me with a lot of decks and plane cards I don't like; if the mini is lower quality than the 'Nexus' one, then there will be no point at all in my buying extras for repainting.

the older, 'Nexus' minis have been far superior to the 'Ares' ones - just look at the Fokker Triplane! The slab wings, the "hiding-below-the-parapet" rudder on the 'Ares' ones.
    I wouldn’t say that.
    Except for the serie 1 (Albatros D.V, Fokker Dr.I), Ares reprints of WOW series have a good quality.
    On the pictures, WOG minis are on left side and WOW mini on right side.

Name:	2FB81FCA-D864-4AE7-B386-B093A29ED50F.jpeg 
Views:	368 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	265310
    SOPWITH SNIPE Barker (more accurate colour on WOG mini)

Name:	2CE3F7E9-7C31-4D2D-8EE8-B84E17A0D29F.jpeg 
Views:	370 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	265311
    AIRCO DH.4 A.E.F. (more accurate colour on WOG mini)

Name:	6E6D795C-D4DB-4CA6-A670-5BDC1D9D99A2.jpeg 
Views:	369 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	265312
    NIEUPORT 17 Nungesser (on WOG mini, the horizontal stabiliser is unfortunately not painted, but the upper wing has an accurate camo painting)

Name:	81ED097D-96C2-4144-A8B2-999B5CEDB0D8.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	265309
    RAF RE.8 (on WOG mini, the engine, front fuselage and cockpit struts have highly accurate paintings)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Series 1 reprint
    By Angiolillo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 173
    Last Post: 10-12-2021, 06:08
  2. WGF: Series 4 Reprint on the Way...?
    By Dan-Sam in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 11-08-2018, 19:07
  3. Series 3 Reprint
    By bgeipel in forum WGF: General Discussions