Ares Games

Thread: Panoramic Rundbilder background images for scenery and their potential colourization

Default Panoramic Rundbilder background images for scenery and their potential colourization

Hello all!
    In looking at some of the wonderful table setups like Mike Mikeemagnus and Flying Officer Kyte have, I was looking at background possibilities. While a railway scene would be nice, I was looking for some realism (and my painting skills resemble a dog’s breakfast). Just the other day I noted the Bundesarchiv contains panoramic images (Rundbilder translated to the England as “round picture”) images. Wow! Just what I was looking for.

One that caught my eye was the “Panoramic view from the height southeast of Marimbois Ferme on the Chambley – St. Benoit Road” dated 8 July 1915, because it contains “Field flight station 3B in Marimbois Ferme (tents with aircraft)”
    I understand Feld-Fliegerstation 3B at Marimbois Farm was an important aerodrome, in the St Michiel area of operations.

The overall image looks like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	round.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	296262
    sourced from
    https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/inve...-f0e5f2bc2aca/
    and is Creative Commons 3.0 Germany, which allows for its use.

Having seen some of the colourised images, I thought I could do that, pixel by pixel colouring. But as I work with some talented folk with aerial imagery, I figured that instead of mandraulically colourising the images there has to be a better way. And there is! Using an online demonstration tool "algorithmia" it gave a good result:

Name:	colorizeit.jpg 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	296263

Some areas need touching up, but it's looking OK.
    As you may see, there's an aeroplane there!

Name:	LFG_query.jpg 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	296264
    My Great War aircraft recognition isn’t the greatest, a chocolate fish for who identifies it!
    (The LFG Roland that my FLGS found for me before Christmas (and was a nice surprise!) looks a bit like it.)

Cheers!
    Terry
    Last edited by CaptMoonbeam; 01-12-2021 at 13:40. Reason: Correcting Terry's Terrible English

Great find!

As for the plane, I'd go with Rumpler B.I ?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I'm going to guess an Albatros C.I, since I think I can see an observer's gun and the rudder back edge looks straight. In later versions the radiator was moved to the top wing instead of fuselage sides.

That's going to make a superb background.
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 01-12-2021 at 14:11.

"Luftstreitkräfte Vermessungs Abteilung 2" (Found in the image information under Organization) translates as: "Air Force Surveying Division 2"

Feld-Fliegerstation 3B in Marimbois Ferme = Field pilot station 3B in Marimbois Ferme
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. potential new flightpath games speculation
    By Davey Jones in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2017, 07:01
  2. Colorado: Potential new player in Denver
    By Cessna in forum US Wing
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 09-03-2015, 21:36
  3. Potential CAC Wirraway Conversion
    By Baldrick62 in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 1