Ares Games

Thread: Huzzah! Portland Maine May 17-19 2019

Default Huzzah! Portland Maine May 17-19 2019

Huzzah! is on the horizon and I thought I'd give you the info as the event list is up. Sign up is open.

Huzzah site 'HERE'

I'll be running 2 games. Godzilla Saturday at 9 am and a WWI balloon busting mission Saturday at 2 pm.

Number Name Event Type Starts Duration Available Room
    127 Godzilla! Miniatures Day 2 at 9:00 AM 4 Hours 10/10 Lighthouse

There was a disturbance off many miles off the coast reported by local fishermen. Incoherent messages could not be understood, then silence. "Flight One to base, flight One to base, we're approaching the coast now. Ok, we see something coming out of the water. It's....gigantic. it's... it's...Tokoyo, we have a problem"!

126 An Easy Target Miniatures Day 2 at 2:00 PM 4 Hours 10/10 Lighthouse

The entente artillery had been punishing the Kaiser’s boys with help from an eye in the sky. A key observation balloon was put on the top of the hit list. Pilots that thought a big old balloon should be an easy target would learn differently. Usually defending scouts were circling above while on the ground were AA guns and AA machine guns pointed up all around. If that wasn’t enough, when things got hot the balloon could be winched down to the ground so time was also against you.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 03-23-2019 at 08:23.

Go get'em Peter!!! Have some great games!!!
    Last edited by crashx; 03-25-2019 at 15:19. Reason: Spelling error

Two more days until Huzzah! Three more days until Wings at Huzzah! Godzilla rules have been tweeked since Havoc to make it more interesting. (I think/hope)

Godzilla has sold out, An Easy Target still has openings.

Back from HUZZAH. Now I feel for the folks that drive from the north to the HMGS cons. 11 hours up on Thursday (traffic by Boston) and 11 hours back Sunday (traffic in Del and MD). But I have to say well worth the trip. Met old friends and made some new ones. The Godzilla game was a blast. Much fun even with the kids that played (they were good). I was the Last Man Flying until Godzilla took me out with a tail swipe. Next game was fun since I did get to have both of my planes take shots at some German balloons despite 4 German planes after me. Got lucky with the jams on the one German planes. One plane was a resurrection after being shot down and the other was flying with 1 damage left and a wounded pilot. However with 4 Germans surrounding them they both were shot at and both drew boom cards. OH WELL. But was fun and that is what counted.
    to Peter for the games he runs.

Bob, so glad you made the drive up to Maine! As always, great to have you at my table. Last man flying out of 11 was quite the feat against Godzilla. You did get ganged up on vs the balloons though. Outnumbered 4 to 2, you still got in your share of shots at the balloons. You got one down and pulled a draw so an honorable effort.

I'll get some photos up hopefully Monday night.

Peter and Bob -- sorry to have missed Huzzah! this year, my final grades and end of term committee reports due this week, and my daughter graduates from her undergraduate program on Friday so i just couldn't come-- I hope to see you both next year.
    Bill

11 hours driving each way - now that's what I call making an effort Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Long drive but a great time and the wife got her Maine Lobster dinner which was all she talked about when I mentioned the con. Then on the way back we stopped by a Polish Deli I would take my dad to when I went home to NJ and he still lived there. It was a very slight detour but worth getting the Kielbasa they make. I also noticed that in Maine they don't have deer crossing signs but rather moose caution signs.

Have to tell Matt, if he sees this, no ASA sightings but did run into a 101st vet who was at Phu Bai but a few years before me.

Sorry to take so long but things have been busy.

Here are a series of photos of Godzilla trying to wade ashore to get to Tokoyo. We had 10 Brave Japanese pilots face off against the monster. Godzilla gave it a good try but came up short. Maybe next time Godzilla will get his revenge.

1st plane to approach, a Ki-61, is set on fire by Godzilla's nuclear breath beam.
    Name:  DSC_0001.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  120.5 KB

Soon a Ki-84 is also set alight.
    Name:  DSC_0002.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  159.7 KB

Another Tony is soon blazing, a reward for flying to close to Godzilla's front.
    Name:  DSC_0003.jpg
Size:  153.2 KB

The sky is abuzz with the swarm of brave Japanese pilots trying to save their sacred capitol city.
    Name:  DSC_0004.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  157.2 KB

Lucky for me as game-master the planes went down at a quick rate as I was almost out of flame markers!
    Name:  DSC_0006.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  149.5 KB

Everyone trying to get in their best shot at the beast.
    Name:  DSC_0007.jpg
Size:  170.6 KB

Godzilla can't out run his tormentors.
    Name:  DSC_0008.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  146.4 KB

Japanese losses are mounting but the feeding frenzy goes on. Godzilla is showing signs of weakening.
    Name:  DSC_0009.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  144.0 KB

Godzilla grabbed one plane and flung it far behind him but there were many more to immediately take it's place.
    Name:  DSC_0010.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  141.2 KB

Godzilla has had enough. Badly wounded as he is, he sees a break in the air assault and dives beneath the waves. The pilots are overjoyed that Tokoyo is saved but are not sure if they have killed the monster. Will he return?
    Name:  DSC_0011.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  146.8 KB

Bob held the honor of being the last man flying. He kept his original plane the longest of everyone playing.

No one got any 'Kill' honors as Godzilla slipped beneath the waves as the air assault waned. The last turn where there was a chance to kill Godzilla only 2 planes got in a shot and scored a pitiful amount of damage.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 05-25-2019 at 10:04.

Scenario 2. An Easy Target

Here we have a German balloon line defended with AA guns and machine guns supported by a flight of Albatros D.IIIs. Attacking are N17s with a drum each of incendiary rounds and a pair of N16s with rockets.

There were 6 pilots, each flying 2 planes.

In the bottom right can be seen 2 Albatross D.IIIs that have passed through the French formation.
    Name:  DSC_0012.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  165.9 KB

Bob (in hat) takes on 4 Albatros with his 2 Nieuports. Thomas and Andrew (just out of photo right) take on their younger brother Stanley, outnumbering him 4 to 2.
    Name:  DSC_0013.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  186.3 KB

Andrew scored a double Boom destroying the balloon but took 10 points of damage himself for being too close to the erupting gas bag.
    Name:  DSC_0014.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  161.0 KB

Bob sets a balloon on fire with an incendiary round.
    Name:  DSC_0015.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  117.1 KB

One balloon down, one on fire...not looking good for the Germans.
    Name:  DSC_0016.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  151.3 KB

Bob being severely harassed, the story of his part in this battle.
    Name:  DSC_0017.jpg
Size:  99.5 KB

Bob making one last run at the balloon with the Hun (Bruce) looking on.
    Name:  DSC_0019.jpg
Size:  185.7 KB

With the sun setting the scouts had to head home and end the day's fight. 2 balloons were downed, 2 survived. This day ended in a draw.
    Name:  DSC_0020.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  171.3 KB
    Last edited by Teaticket; 05-25-2019 at 10:03.

Attachment devil has hit your second post, Peter

Looks like Godzilla took out the web for an instant. The second set reads like a great radio program! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Looks like Godzilla took out the web for an instant. The second set reads like a great radio program! Well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Attachment devil has hit your second post, Peter
    I caught this just as I posted. Pics now back up.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Great games, pictures and report.
    What Bob said.

Similar Missions

1. National: 2018 Huzzah! 18-20 May in Portland Maine
    By Teaticket in forum US Wing
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-02-2018, 15:41
  2. National: Huzzah! May 19-21
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-24-2017, 15:33
  3. National: Huzzah! 14 May in Portland Maine
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-17-2016, 08:41
  4. National: Greeting from Rural Maine!
    By Avrik in forum US Wing
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-09-2015, 21:06
  5. National: Maine squadron reporting in... (and test post).
    By mleaman in forum US Wing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 05:57