Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Prague 2019 – Drinks, Food and Side Events

Default Wings of Prague 2019 – Drinks, Food and Side Events

Dear friends. I’d like to bring you some very important news about the upcoming Wings of Prague 2019.

At Friday we will play at Ladineks shop.
    The shop will be opened even at Saturday and Sunday when you ask Ladinek. Since last year there is a possibility to use credit cards in the shop. So you don´t need exchange your money for your shopping in Svet deskovych her.

The Saturday and Sunday sessions will be placed at hotel MARS (last week I made a final agreement with the keeper of hotel MARS about the room for our event – the price has increased almost three times, but I believe we can collect the money through the raffle and other sources during the weekend as last year).

The hotel restaurant will not be opened for us. My cousin Honza (Druid) takes care about drinks - there will be some beer and lemonade on tap. A small amount of the price for it will come to the lease of the gaming room in MARS – so keep in mind to stay hydrated during the whole day, it is healthy to you and it helps to us.

I'd like to follow the tradition of the international food festival. Please bring some of your national or family specialities for everyone to eat. That would supply our bellies enough through the day. If not, there is Asian fast food or Kebab nearby.

For the Friday and Saturday evenings we have reservation in the restaurant within walking distance.

This year we want to spent more time together – especially when we have such a great guest thanks to the Lend-Lease program. We provide two side events in the days before and after the Wings of Prague weekend.
    For Thursday evening we have a reservation in a pub U parašutistů – one of the few remaining traditional Prague pubs. It’s located opposite to the military memorial of the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich in 1942 – if you have not yet seen the movie Anthropoid, you should. We would prefere to meet together at 4 p.m. to visit the memorial before some beer in the pub.
    http://www.uparasutistu.cz/Default.aspx

At Monday we have the opportunity to visit the artillery fortification Hůrka. For more info visit their sites: http://hurka.boudamuseum.com/en/index.php It is located in the nort-east part of Czechia and it is almost whole-day trip. It takes more than two hours by car from Prague, and more than one hour for the visit. Therefore we would like to leave around 8 a.m. expecting to be back before 5 p.m.

Please confirm your interest in the side events.

Thanks for your attention!
    See you soon in Prague

Jelena and I are coming on Thursday afternoon/evening, but we don't know precise timing yet, and we leave early afternoon on Sunday. Anyway, if we manage to arrive in time, we'll join the party! Vladimir will probably be there even before Thursday, but we don't know his plans for Thursday.
    If I rememeber well, orthodox church, which Heidrich's asassins fought their last battle in, is just next to U parašutistou pub. And Anthropoid is movie worth of seeing.

We'll certainly bring some food for Saturday, to share with our dear friends.

I guess Donna and I are in for all of it, except the international food festival, as most food won't travel well, nor cross borders.

If the kitchenette in the accommodations is up to it, we might prepare something with local ingredients?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

We have the same problem about keeping food as we are coming on Monday. However we found an English food shop last time we came, so may be able to get something there. We are leaving early on Monday so can't make the trip to Hůrka.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I went to U parašutistou pub last year - it was my first taste of Czech food, and I really enjoyed it!
    Great little pub.

I can't remember which days I am flying in and out - I'll have to recheck my booking when I get home.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Sounds like you have a good weekend planned. Would be nice to get there and maybe meet some of my relatives. Also a good Pilsner would be nice.

Donna and I will try out a recipe for Maple Sugar candy. If that works out, we'll bring samples to share. These should be able to survive the trip and still be edible for the convention.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Donna and I will try out a recipe for Maple Sugar candy.
    Hmm. That sounds really Canadian!
    Great idea.

Donna and I will try out a recipe for Maple Sugar candy. If that works out, we'll bring samples to share. These should be able to survive the trip and still be edible for the convention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kubajs View Post
    Hmm. That sounds really Canadian!
    Great idea.
    The Better Half just checked for candy making equipment. Not a cheap option. Looking for other ideas.
    Mike

See if you can get some Maple Butter online, Mike.
    A 'herring choker' co-worker used to get it sent from New Brunswick.
    Delicious.

It seems interesting!

If I may add to this post I was looking to organise a trip to the Piisen brewery and town on the Thursday using Prague taxi transfer company. for the princly sum of 25€ each for a party of 4 or 6 you get driven to Pilsen (about 1 hour) and a 4 hour stay in the town. that is I am told plenty of time to visit the brewery and do a bit of sight seeing , bar hunting . entry to the brewery is not included but its only 250czk.
    Interested parties please PM me for more details / reservation.
    Paul.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

PS will bring over some local Breton delights as usual

leaving monday am so trip out , but the Parachutist bar is a must, having been there several times and visited St Cyrils Highly recommened them both.

I'm flying out on Monday too, so will also miss Hůrka

So long as I get back from the Pilsen brewery in time, then YES to the U parašutistou !

What time on Monday are you chaps leaving?

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    What time on Monday are you chaps leaving?

Rob.
    13:45 flight for me

Ours is 11.45. That is a shame Tim. We could have shared a Taxi.
    Rob.

12.45 for me and I have a taxi booked for 10.00 want to share?

Kind thought Paul but we really need to be there for 10.00 to leave almost the two hours suggested for booking in etc.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    12.45 for me and I have a taxi booked for 10.00 want to share?
    I'd like to take you up on that kind offer, sir.

No problemo Tim. Bring the gin

The Better Half just checked for candy making equipment. Not a cheap option. Looking for other ideas.
    Found a source for commercial candies:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapleSyropCandyCrop.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	265486

The listed ingredients are maple syrup and glucose. Taste-wise, they are very similar to straight maple syrup. We will bring a bag to share at the Con. They are about the size of a small coin, or 2cm across. The shape is supposed to be a maple leaf.
    Mike

Again, really very Canadian.
    My son likes tasting new food. I'm courios about his opinion to this sweets. For me, I'm sure I will like it.

I bet there are some cocktails with maple syrup

I don't know if we can get this through Customs?

Link: Sortilege Whisky

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sortilege-original-reflect2016.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	265586
    Mike

I don't know also. But it does look nice!

I stay with the Slibowitz.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christian
    Sorties Flown

Becherovka! From my mothers Hometown.

Sven, I like that spirit

Enjoy your time in Prague and Pilsen today, my friends.
    I believe, we will meet together at 4 p.m. to visit the memorial and than have some beer together.

Posting to this thread, too, to ensure maximum broadcast.

We will meet some of you tonight at St Cyril's (Heroes Memorial). However, it would be nice to meet more at breakfast tomorrow morning, if possible. This would be at Hotel Mars, in the hotel restaurant, if there is space.

Would there be a mutually agreeable time? Donna and I seem to be over the worst of the 9 hour jet-lag, so early isn't too bad, if that is better.
    Mike

Sounds like you are all due for a load of fun, games and indeed a little beer. Hope you all have a great time.

Hope to see some photos.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Honza
    Sorties Flown

I am going pack some "slibowitz" my orginal homemade an we will bring something from my wife. She prepared some sweat.

Similar Missions

1. Wings of Prague 2019
    By Dan-Sam in forum Past Prague Summer Cons
    Replies: 235
    Last Post: 11-21-2019, 12:11
  2. Wings of Prague 2019 – games
    By Kubajs in forum Past Prague Summer Cons
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 04-11-2019, 07:49
  3. Wings of Prague 2019 - Game Scenario Overviews
    By OldGuy59 in forum Past Prague Summer Cons
    Replies: 32