Thread: Packages

Default Packages

OK this might be strange but I wonder when you order something how is it packaged when you get it? Over the past few days I received some items, Osprey books, I ordered from Amazon. The first, 1 book, was in a bubble wrap envelope that was twice the size of the book and could have had 6 books in it. Today I received 2 different books. 1 was in a bubble wrap envelope but not as big as the other one and the second was in a box that could have held 20 books. When I order from Shapeways, not that often, it comes in a box that could hold many models.
    The only ones I order from that seem to make sense are AIM, a small box, and MISCMINI, in an envelope.
    I just wonder how cost would be reduced it they payed more attention in how they boxed their product.

UPS and Fedex charge “Dimensional Weight” surcharges to discourage oversized boxes.
    USPS will likely follow at some point.
    Amazon does their own thing ...

I received two books from Amazon today. They came together in a cardboard mailer just large enough for the two books. I usually order several models at once from Shapeways and the box is larger than the order, but they do use bubble wrap to cushion the models. I do like that.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

When I get my package I just wonder why they package the way they do. Seems cost more for them for the box they use rather then the postage. I am sending some Osprey books to a friend and cut the envelope in half and still have room for more then the 3 books I am sending.

Books from Amazon & the Book Depository use sensible packaging just the right size & Amazon does have a single or double DVD package.
    Been quite a while since I got anything from Shapeways so cannot comment.

"Its a fine line indeed between going out in a Blaze of Glory or having Crashed & Burnt!"
    Member Australian Society of WW1 Aero Historians

Have you tried putting some comments in your Amazon feedback report, Bob?

it's not a problem just seems overkill for the way they ship some things. I didn't mean this as a complaint but just wondered how folks here get their stuff that they order.

Packaging is a problem. Seeing the T&T photos I wonder why there has to be a plastic window and more plastic for our tripods and planes individual boxes. Do we have to see the actual model through a window or would a picture on the box do? I would bet it is all about cost. Companies have to stop using plastic as much as possible in the future.

My favorite is when I buy a second small item as part of an Amazon order to meet the free shipping threshold and then receive the items in separate packages.

It also drives me nuts when a game is boxed in a container that is too big for the contents. I understand that game companies do this so the box will have more game store shelf presence but it is not good for my limited shelf space.

If we should have to fight, we should be prepared to do so from the neck up instead of from the neck down. -Jimmy Doolittle