Ares Games

Thread: Doms Decals

Default Doms Decals

Attention,
    this is an official request of the german Luftstreikräfte to the RFC.

Does anybody know if Dom is still in business ?
    I did order twice but never got any decals nor a reply, even after several attempts to contact him.
    Or is he just not "fond" of german customers ?

Thanks a lot,
    Thomas (Hogey62)

Hi THomas

I have been waiting 17 months for decals I ordered, and paid for, in October 2017.

Dom had had a very rough time, by all accounts, but going "dark" and not responding to any email, phone calls etc is really not helpful.

I advocated using his products, championing him above all others, even when his delivery times slipped and he dropped out of contact.
    Unfortunately, I feel I can no longer do so.

Last update on his website.....................................................

"Just a quick update to say I'm doing what I probably should have done a while ago now, sorry, and not taking new orders for a bit while I get properly caught up. Many apologies to those waiting patiently (or even impatiently) for orders; this year's been a perfect storm of ropey health, temperamental emails, work (over-)commitments and a healthy dollop of uselessness from me, which has all added up to rather a big trainwreck, sorry.

So, umm, yeah, I'm still here, still filling orders (far too slowly, but hopefully a bit of holiday time from the "day job" and stopping new decal orders for a bit will let me turn that around), and slowly getting my **** together. Oh, and I even have a new email address, as the dom@domsdecals.com one seems to be getting spam filtered into oblivion - I'll still receive any emails sent to that, but expect any replies to come from domsdecals@gmail.com from now on - apologies if my email response time is still somewhat patchy while I'm catching up.

Dom, November 2018."

I really hope he comes out of it, and I really hope I get the decals I ordered nearly 18 months ago!

I'm not holding my breath, though......................................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

17 months is a little extreme. I’ve had to wait for decals from Dom in the past but not that long. He’s not been a well lad for some time, so hopeful at some point he will get better, enough to sort out his backlog of orders. What he produces is very good indeed, but if you can’t get hold of it............
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Likewise all, I am patiently awaiting a small order from Dom and have been for a long time - hopefully he will recover and perhaps sort this out.

Very sad to hear about Dom's troubles.
    I still have a few of his Decals to use up myself.
    Hope that the lad manages to come through this O.K.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I had nothing but good service from Dom when I used him. It is sad to see that he has not been in good health and that his normally good service has slipped but hopefully he can pick things back up again to get him back to where he was.

Following on from this, I just tried to look up 144 Direct/Mehusla on ebay, he also seems to have disappeared, I haven't been in need of decals for a while, but I have a new project on the table and need some RAF WGS stuff.

Lest we forget

I emailed Matt Sneddon a couple of months back, but have had no reply.

Between his disappearance and Dom's, the decal sources are drying up

I'm getting FANTASTIC service from Kevin @ Miscmini, but he doesn't have the range of basics for WW1 that the other two had.

I've bought Shed Decals through Helmet 200 Models https://www.btowstore.com/epages/BT4...s__Accessories
    but my last order from a month ago has still not been posted!

Fortunately, I have built up a large stockpile of decals, but certain sections of it are now running low.

At the Yeovil show, I bought some decal paper, in the hope that this time around I can avoid the disaster that was my last homebrew effort!

Not sure if they have what you're looking for but Red Eagle Miniatures do WW1 decals. I've only bought aircraft models from them, which come complete with decals. But they seem to do them separately too. Also going to be at Salute show in a week or so.

I have used the Red Eagle (ex Skytrex) decals and they do basic cross and roundals for the main Nations but dont think their sheets come with tail flashes except the german s which get a small cross.
    Another source of decals which include lozenge is in the states Reviresco these are also good.

Update...............

Dom is active again, but, apparently, only for retailers.

At the "Salute" show, I discovered that he had been in contact with "Tumbling Dice", asking them whether they wanted him to supply sheets of decals for sale at that show.
    They said they did, and Dom duly delivered. These were 1/600 scale decals, so of no use to me.
    I have emailed Dom again since then, but have still not received a reply.

There is renewed hope, but not much.

On a worse note, my earlier recommendation for "Helmet 200 Models" https://www.btowstore.com/epages/BT4...s__Accessories, who sell "Shed" decals, must now be withdrawn.
    Not only have they failed to supply the decals I ordered, and paid for, in February, but they are not responding to emails and their "complaints line" now rings through to an "Invalid Number"!
    I have opened a case via Paypal; the only response from Helmet is the removal of the "Paid" tag on my order!
    In a couple of days I will escalate to a full-blown Dispute, in a bid to recover my money.

With "mehusla" 1/144 Direct still AWOL on ebay, my only source now is Kevin Hammond @ "Miscellaneous Miniatures" (who is providing SPECTACULARLY GOOD service!!!), plus any oddments I can pick up from ebay.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the update, Tim! It's a shame mehusla and Dom are out of the running for 'private' sales at this stage...thank goodness Kevin/mismini is still going strong - his stuff is great and his service top-notch.

All the best,
    Matt

My Vimy Ridge Nieuport 17 set was custom produced by Kevin [MiscMini].

This collaboration provided me with very needed decals, and now allows him to provide a decal set for any RFC Nieuport 17. As he now has the scaling for a Nieuport 17, he can do any country, actually.

So, if he doesn't have exactly what you need, please ask him. You might get an awesome decal set out of it.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Thanks for the update, Tim! It's a shame mehusla and Dom are out of the running for 'private' sales at this stage...thank goodness Kevin/mismini is still going strong - his stuff is great and his service top-notch.

All the best,
    Matt
    I'm in total agreement.Thank goodness for Kevin as our previous favorite suppliers have gone west.

Chris Sayer is still doing Shed decals for WW2 here:-

http://www.the-one-true-scale.co.uk/...Nov%202012.pdf

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    My Vimy Ridge Nieuport 17 set was custom produced by Kevin [MiscMini].

This collaboration provided me with very needed decals, and now allows him to provide a decal set for any RFC Nieuport 17. As he now has the scaling for a Nieuport 17, he can do any country, actually.

So, if he doesn't have exactly what you need, please ask him. You might get an awesome decal set out of it.
    I will be ordering a set of those for my newly-acquired ex-Hunter N.17s
    ”If you can’t win ‘em, make your own.”

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Update...............

On a worse note, my earlier recommendation for "Helmet 200 Models" https://www.btowstore.com/epages/BT4...s__Accessories, who sell "Shed" decals, must now be withdrawn.
    Not only have they failed to supply the decals I ordered, and paid for, in February, but they are not responding to emails and their "complaints line" now rings through to an "Invalid Number"!
    I have opened a case via Paypal; the only response from Helmet is the removal of the "Paid" tag on my order!

In a couple of days I will escalate to a full-blown Dispute, in a bid to recover my money.
    That’s worrying. I put an order for decals and aircraft in as well but about 3 weeks ago. I shall have to watch the situation.

Edit: Tim, I’ve just pulled this from the last “One True Scale” newsletter (Nov 18) which might have a bearing on your predicament:

“Helmet Models
    Paul at Helmet is having all sorts of problems at the moment, personal and with the models. He does not currently have an email address. You will have to write to him if you need to contact him. I will put his address at the end of the newsletter. The online Helmet shop appears to be operating and is taking payments but Paul cannot access it so do not use it. Contact Wojtek or me or Paul directly if you wish to order our models. If the situation changes I will let you know. If you have ordered anything from the site and have not received it, contact Paul directly.”

Paul Howard
    194, Grange Road, SWINDON, Wiltshire, SN3 4JZ, UK
    Last edited by Guntruck; 05-08-2019 at 00:13.

Thanks for that, Steve!

I'll drop him a line, but I don't hold out much hope.

If his website was taking orders, but not fulfilling them, back in November 2018 then he should have taken it down, or blocked it, or SOMETHING!
    This, along with the "invalid" phone number and unanswered emails, smells bad to me.
    I suspect my money has already been spent.

Thanks for the link to Chris Sayer, Rob - I already had this, but "Helmet" had a basket system, so I always bought from them.
    I may try him instead, but I have started a new "Project" with Kevin @ Miscmini, and I bet he'll come through and fill my decal needs.
    I like the quality of the many "Shed" decals I have, but, as with "I-94", they only cater for 1/200 scale planes, so obtaining some of the larger decals for WW1 kites in 1/144 scale is not always possible.

Maybe he is taking orders but not through Paypal - I'd hold fire with the pitchforks and flaming torches at the moment - if he can't access PP for whatever reason he probably doesn't know it's sitting in the account.

I've emailed Chris Sayer to see if he can shed (Shed - geddit?) any light on the situation, and asking if we can get the decals from him. I'll let you know what he says.

One way or the other the money needs to be recouped from Paypal at some point by the sound of it.

Apologies if this is a hijack of the 'Doms Decals' thread.

Chris Sawyer does, or at least did last time I bought, sell his decals direct.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

I got no response from Dom, also, since I placed an order a few days ago. I will try the German decalservice-supplier www.druckeronkel.de. If you provide a appropriate template-file he can make waterslide and rub-on decals out of it. A DIN A4 sheet is 12 € (incl. white and silver special colours).

Unhappy

I have just heard from Chris Sayer (Shed Decals) that the owner of Helmet 200 models is seriously ill, to the extent that it is unlikely that Helmet will return, or if it does it won't be for a very long time. Anyone with outstanding orders with Helmet should file a claim with Paypal, assuming you paid by that method.

The silver lining is that you can still get Shed decals and aircraft from Chris - see the link in Rob's post #15.

Seems that decal makers are a bit cursed at the moment...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Looks like Dom's Decal site has now been taken down.

"He is wise who watches"

Looks like that just leaves Kevin (Miscmini) in the decal game

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Looks like Dom's Decal site has now been taken down.
    That's a shame - he still owes me decals! (or my money back!)

Sad to see this - his stuff was good; my first port of call before looking elsewhere.
    I hope Dom is OK.

Whoa.... Seems like the decal guys are slowly dropping off.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Whoa.... Seems like the decal guys are slowly dropping off.
    One of the logistical issues, as I understand it, notwithstanding Dom's health issues, is that printer equipment has become a critical stumbling block.

AFAIK, there was only one company producing a printer, suitable/affordable for desktop publishing, that would print white. If that is the case, as the current printers fail, more custom decal producers will drop out of the business.
    Mike

I can understand that. It comes down to if a new printer is worth the investment or not. Sad to see him toss in the towel. He has some really nice designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Looks like that just leaves Kevin (Miscmini) in the decal game
    Wasn't there one in the UK that sold only on E-Bay?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Wasn't there one in the UK that sold only on E-Bay?
    Karl
    Matt Sneddon, who sold as mehusla, under company name 1/144direct.

He retired several months ago, and sold off all his huge stockpile of decals on ebay at discounted prices.
    At least he announced the fact in advance, rather than taking peoples' money and then running silent for 2 years!

Matt was always fantastic to deal with. A real stand up guy. I was really disappointed to see him close up shop. I'm still owed decals I paid for from another dealer.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Reviesco is still out there doing a nice job with the decals he produces...tin-soldier.com...but you all are right - the pickins' are getting slim! Thank goodness for Kevin and Miscmini! The fact that he does great stuff and he's willing to do special request decals is spectacular!

All the best,
    Matt

Kevin is our savior for decals right now. Without him we'd be hard put to do up our own planes.

Dom's Decals website is back up again!

But not updated since he "went dark"

Apparently, it went down due to a server issue unrelated to Dom's business.
    I emailed AGAIN about the decals I am owed, but have heard nothing.

I am sending positive vibes that Dom is actually healthy and back in business. Crossing fingers, too.

Hopefully, the refreshed website means all might be better in the modeling world.
    Mike

I'm doubling your positive vibes Mike. Dom has a lot of great decals. Lets hope he is back soon.

I hope so too.

I wouldn't wish ill upon him.

I'd just love to get my sticky fingers on his super decals once again.

Similar Missions

1. Other Looking for Doms' Decals
    By Gallo Rojo in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2018, 00:21
  2. WGF Early fighters sale at Doms Decals
    By Womble in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-01-2013, 08:05
  3. Doms Decals
    By Burt in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8