Ares Games

Thread: BSG: Hangar

Default BSG: Hangar

Any chance of an artist member doing a bit of a hangar that can be printed on say 4 A4 pages in Portrait mode? If that could be in the files then it can be used in the battle of Ragnar Anchorage scenario from the scenario booklet.

Hi Gary

Do you have any images for reference?

In the old FASA game there were images of the old style Baseship and BattleStar. I don't recall the specifics but the Viper had to get back to the ship to be considered on board. I still have that ole' game; I think I'll pull it out.

But sorry, not actually hanger pic or reference.

Hmmm...
    Well, not many good HD graphics of the Galactica available online. I found this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GAL_TOP.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	264579

And, if you crop it and make the background transparent:

Name:	GAL_TOP_Hangar.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	264581

PS: the first transparent effort wasn't spectacular, so added stars.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Yes that is what I meant Mike. Something like like that bottom one in a PDF that would print over 3 or 4 pages and can be laid on the table edge would do it.

So, by scale, if the BSG is 1414 meters long, it measures out to 8.8 meters at 160th scale. I am calculating a hangar bay at 4 meters in 160th scale. A bit long for most tables.

Even at 320th scale, the hangar is 2 meters (2.17 yards), or 7 sheets of 8.5x11 paper (printed lengthwise). Taking it down to 640th scale would get it on to three and a half sheets, and 39 inches (a meter) long.

So, is that really what you are looking for?

PS: Looking at printing the above graphic using Adobe Acrobat, a pdf could be printed using Poster, scaled to 250% with an overlap of 0.005in. This would print onto three 8.5x11' sheets, resulting in a 33' hangar bay.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-18-2019 at 23:05.
    Mike

I yanked the below image from the Ares BSG Facebook page, and attempted a comparison of size:

Name:	BSG_BSG-Scale.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	264644

The image is supposed to be the Large Ship model prototype of the BSG, shown with a current Viper Mk II. The Hangar Bay appears to be two and a half times the length of a Viper. Scale? I think I worked it out to around 1/3900 scale in another thread (Link: Galactica Prototype).
    Mike

I am am the first to admit to being totally talentless when it comes to graphics. I do not have Acrobat or anything like that. What I would like is just something similar only of the Battlestar Galactica to the Zeppelin printout that is in the files somewhere. It is about 3 feet long and makes an appearance whenever we want to do one of those scenarios in WGF. According to the scenario in the BSG booklet it will be a platform for a couple of gun positions and not flyable.

I have placed a file in the moderation queue, and will link the file when it is approved.

As a PDF, it should be usable by anyone, and if you take it to a local print shop, they should be able to produce it at whatever size you'd like. It should be printable on three sheets of A4 or Letter size, and could be about a meter (33-ish inches).

The quality at that scale, considering the source image, might be a bit pixelated.
    Mike

IF you haven't run across it by now, here is the Hangar graphic file: BSG Hangar Bay - Scenario Mat
    Mike

Jumping the gun for the upcoming release of the 'Faster than Light Expansion Pack'!

In anticipation of having rules for landing and take-off for BSG, I thought I'd take a stab at what that 'Hangar Bay/Landing Pod' thing might look like. What is in that big thing, and how does it work? I found some schematics (not good quality, but good enough), and tried to produce a game aid to replicate landings and launches of Vipers.

This is what I came up with:

Name:	GAL_TOP_HangarV1 Exp1a.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	294091

Red zone (running the length of the Pod) is the Landing Area, for regular ships landing and taking off.
    Blue-bordered, blue-filled rounded rectangles are Ship Elevators, to move Vipers from the Landing Area to the Marshalling Areas.
    Blue-bordered, green-filled rectangles are the Marshalling areas one deck below the Landing Area. Vipers are checked, repaired, refueled and re-armed, and loaded into the Launch Tubes here.
    Blue rectangles, extending from the Marshalling Areas to the outer edge of the Landing Pod are Launch Tubes. Five sets of 16 tubes for 80 Vipers launched at a time.

I don't know what the rules will be for landing and taking-off, as I haven't been part of that play-testing. However, there will be phases for handling the Vipers in a scenario that might look like this:
    Turn 1: Land the Viper in the Landing Area. Exposed to Vacuum during Flying Operations.
    Turn 2: Move to the Elevator(s). Up to two Vipers per elevator? Exposed to Vacuum.
    Turn 3: Move to the lower deck. Possibly there is an additional door that closes at the Landing Area deck level, once the elevator is in the full-down position, forming an air-lock, this would let the Marshalling Area be a work area uninterupted by Vacuum.
    Turn 4: Move to the Marshalling Area. Pressurized area.
    Turn 5-?: Refuel and Re-arm (Not sure how many Turns for this? More than one...)
    Turn 8: Position Viper in the Launch Tube.
    Turn 9: Pilot boards and runs preflight checks (probably more than one Turn, but it's war...)
    Turn 10: Launch! Air-lock in the launch tube, so once the pilot is in, and the launch sequence is being carried out, there should be a door that closes after the Viper leaves the boarding area, and before the Viper reaches the end of the tube. I can see a lot of air being expelled if the ship is not moved to a launch position, with a door closing behind it, before launch. I can't remember this sequence from the show, but seem to vaguely remember that there was a shutter system of closing and opening doors.
    Turn 11: Free to Maneuver and fight...

The 'Faster than Light Expansion Pack' may alter the above, or provide more information and better guidance/rules for how this will work. I'm hoping...

PS: If there are more Vipers than pilots, it is possible that the pilot returning from a mission might just jump from an incoming Viper and board a Viper pre-loaded in a Launch Tube. In this case, the turn sequence above might skip the 'Refuel and Re-arm' and 'Position Viper in the LT' turns.

Anyone out there with Carrier Operations experience that could advise?
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-07-2020 at 18:50.
    Mike

Very nice Mike. Fighting that close to the Galactica might not be so much fun for the Cylons but should be great for some scenarios.

Looking forward with great anticipation to the next release. I'm very curious about what the new FTL rules will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Very nice Mike. Fighting that close to the Galactica might not be so much fun for the Cylons but should be great for some scenarios.

Looking forward with great anticipation to the next release. I'm very curious about what the new FTL rules will be.
    A bit off topic, but...

Looking at the Ares Games website, I found this image:

Name:	800x600-battlestargalactica_starshipbattles-BSG002A-expansionpack-components.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	294089

So, it appears to me that they are seriously fine-tuning the FTL rules, and players will now have to use a console to plan the jump. It looks like the player will have different tokens to place on the board (If you have more than one ship jumping, the letter will distinguish which ship is jumping to what token. In the image, they show a 'B' token, but the console is showing 'A'.) Then, the player will pick an offset Direction from the token, and a Distance. Then, something similar to the previous version FTL token is placed, and you roll scatter from that.

Not sure how much 'fun' will be involved with all the bits, and because the player will have to use a new console, secrecy might be an issue. I suppose picking up the console and fiddling with it occassionally will have to become a tactic to throw off your opponent. Sort-of like alway, always, always using a blank maneuver card.
    Mike

The above image (Hangar Bay part, anyway) scaled to 33 inches (1/620th-ish scale), on two play mats:

Name:	GAL_TOP_HangarV2_W-Mats.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	294118

I attempted to put a Viper (at scale) for reference. I'm not 100% sure if the scales are right, but it should be close to the visual appearance. Note that the Viper image is bigger than a Mk II Shuttle, in scale to the Hangar Bay, or more than four times bigger. A 160th scale Viper would never fit in the blue Launch Tubes represented on the Hangar Bay, nor fit two to an Elevator.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-08-2020 at 00:43.
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. New ACE Hangar Trays
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 253
    Last Post: 11-18-2021, 01:43
  2. Welcome to Miscmini's hangar
    By miscmini in forum Miscmini's Hangar
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-08-2017, 06:01
  3. Sorry I have been out of the hangar lads
    By Bixby in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4