Ares Games

View Poll Results: Where would you be interested in playing?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dream Wizards: Expect to be a reliable event co-ordinator

0 0%
  • Dream Wizards: Would be a regular

2 33.33%
  • Dream Wizards: Would be occasional

1 16.67%
  • Dream Wizards: Was a regular; would not expect to make events here

0 0%
  • Games & Stuff: Expect to be a reliable event co-ordinator

0 0%
  • Games & Stuff: Would be a regular

0 0%
  • Games & Stuff: Would be occasional

1 16.67%
  • Games & Stuff: Was a regular; would not expect to make events here

1 16.67%
  • Gritty Goblin Games: Expect to be a reliable event co-ordinator

1 16.67%
  • Gritty Goblin Games: Would be a regular

3 50.00%
  • Gritty Goblin Games: Would be occasional

2 33.33%
  • Gritty Goblin Games: Was a regular; would not expect to make events here

0 0%
  • Play More Games: Expect to be a reliable event co-ordinator

1 16.67%
  • Play More Games: Would be a regular

1 16.67%
  • Play More Games: Would be occasional

0 0%
  • Play More Games: Was a regular; would not expect to make events here

0 0%
  • Third Eye Games: Expect to be a reliable event co-ordinator

0 0%
  • Third Eye Games: Would be a regular

0 0%
  • Third Eye Games: Would be occasional

0 0%
  • Third Eye Games: Was a regular; would not expect to make events here

1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: No more Family Game Store; now what?

Default No more Family Game Store; now what?

So, where do we want to meet now that The Family Game Store is closing?

Hopefully this will give us some sense of how popular our options are:
    Dream Wizards, Rockville
    Games & Stuff, Glen Burnie
    Gritty Goblin Games, Fulton
    Play More Games, Gaithersburg
    Third Eye Games, Annapolis

I think for a site to be viable at least someone should be willing to step up for "event co-ordinator" responsibilities:
    Show up each night, barring emergency
    w/ baseline supplies (decks, rulers, tokens) & planes to support a handful of players
    and ready to put some sort of scenario on the table.
    Also willing to handle any communication of issues between the store & the players

Sorry for the format; I'm seriously unimpressed with the polling options of this site...
    Last edited by Pseudotheist; 03-17-2019 at 08:42.

Well, I tried to get a group to play test the campaign rules for WGF, holding a meeting at the local aviation museum on the last Saturday of the month, but the only person that seems to be able to read a calendar, or commit to regular appearances, is me.

So, the museum gets a hands-on aviation demo and history of flight display, but the campaign rules trial has been a complete bust.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist
    I think for a site to be viable at least someone should be willing to step up for "event co-ordinator" responsibilities:
    Show up each night, barring emergency
    w/ baseline supplies (decks, rulers, tokens) & planes to support a handful of players
    and ready to put some sort of scenario on the table.
    Also willing to handle any communication of issues between the store & the players

Sorry for the format; I'm seriously unimpressed with the polling options of this site...
    OK, so you've seen my answers...anyway, the differential between PMG & DW is the fact that I still don't have my own transportation....looks like two recent efforts to correct that have fallen through.

Other than that, yes, my collection is not only fairly extensive, but includes many of the accessories, so yeah, I have no problem handling many of the non-gaming administrative aspects of running a regular game.

And don't worry about the format, the poll seems to cover all the current bases.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Good luck with your search for a new gaming spot, guys - it's nice that you have several choices in the general area to pick from. Our area here in SW Ohio has several options, too, all within about 1/2 hour of each other. While we are certainly not averse to gaming at one another's homes, it is so nice to have a neutral spot where gaming can occur. I look forward to seeing what you come up with

All the best,
    Matt

Does the game have to happen at an FLGS? My LEGO club has been meeting at public libraries for years? However, if I remember correctly Montgomery Cty libraries charge $$ to use their meeting rooms; I don't know about Prince Georges or Howard Counties.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Todd,

Thanks for putting the poll together!

Will

Fellow Family Game Store pilots. The Scots Glen Columbia MD development where I live is about 8 miles west of Savage Mill. It has a community center (address: 10700 McGregor Drive) which has 3 very large rooms, the largest being ~40x60 feet. There are about eight tables (6'x2.5') and about 50 folding chairs available. Street parking is frowned upon but there are 5 spaces at the center and another 8 about 30 yards up the street. Right now no one has the facility reserved on the first Thursday of the month. The only other constraint for the facility to be rent-free is that I invite anyone from the community to join us if they are interested. I don't see that as problem- fresh gaming blood. I think the advantage to this site is that its fairly close to the old Savage Mill location. From the Mill, drive west on Route 32, take the Cedar Lane exit, drive north up Cedar for one mile and make a left on McGregor at the third traffic light and the center is immediately on your left. My wife has a key and being retired I should be able to open up almost all months. Let me know if this option is preferred and I will pursue getting it reserved. Regards.

Baltic Bob's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Greetings,

Great idea for a poll - but I was left Luke warm at best with the choices

My vote goes to the suggestion from Crash Craig which was not a part of the poll. Craig’s suggestion gives us a location close to the current Savage Mill, free (I think), and a possibility to entice some new members. I think it’s worth our consideration.

Hi all,

thanks, Todd for the poll! I look forward to whatever new location we decide on. Unfortunately, I have been mostly absent the last year or so but still have all of my planes and look forward to joining you again.

Family Game Store closing is a big loss for me, too.

So I have some updates but little time...

Stuart is attempting to preserve a gaming space @ Savage Mill. It will likely be a $5 per play space (per person, I assume). He may be keeping a retailer account to place orders for regulars, but it doesn't sound like there will be a store front.

Otherwise it's currently looking like Gritty Goblin games is edging ahead in the poll, and I believe it is also the preferred venue for Bob & Steve (who also play Sails of Glory). They also have a $5 pay to play policy, but it goes to store credit. In theory I plan to make a few purchases there should we choose that venue, which should be enough to cover a handful of people who want to come out to play but don't want to pay into the store. Unless we want to switch to Sunday afternoon, their gaming space is usually pretty crowded, but they have set aside for us a space which should at least accommodate the game space we need (we'll have give it a try to find out if we have enough people space, unless someone wants to do a recon run next Thursday night). They are investigating the possibility of moving to a larger space, so if overcrowding is an issue, it may be temporary.

And I will be away this week. Also I have a parenting conflict for April into May, which means I might not be able to attend next month at all, or maybe just stop by very late.

The Community Center does sound like a decent alternative, but personally I think a game store has the ability to draw in new players that the Community Center doesn't. And Play More Games may be a viable alternative for at least some player, though I've heard they also do the $5 pay to play.

So, 4 options: Savage Mill game area, Gritty Goblin, Community Center, Play More Games. Having more info, any chance you guys can come to a consensus by the time I get back next week? I suppose someone could put up a new poll, but I'm not sure it will give us anything definitive.

Edit:
    For those specifically interested in The Family Game Store, here's a page to follow: https://www.facebook.com/3geargames/
    Last edited by Pseudotheist; 03-23-2019 at 05:22.

So, I checked the dream Wizards event calendar: in General, the pretty much open days seem to be either Saturdays or Tuesday evenings. They do have Miniatures Days on Wednesdays starting at 1700, but their description says:
    Table top miniature night - GW 40K & Fantasy, Warmachine, X-Wing, and more! Space is Limited (priority tables are assigned to Organized Play, ie- 2nd Wednesday monthly X-Wing Tournament), but some open play tables are always available. Please email or speak with store staff if you are interested in organizing a League, Tournament, demo, or other organized play activity. We store Terrain for player use. Everyone must pitch in to clean up after themselves as well as neatly stack terrain in the storage area.

So, 2nd Wednesdays are out. I'm not sure if there is a charge. I'll talk to them ASAP.

As far as Play More Games charges go, I had the impression that the $5 charge/player was for organized tournaments they do. That goes to store credit for the tournament winners. For scheduled open play, I thought they charged only $8 for the space overall, not per player. If we were to do open play 1/month, I was offering to cover the table space cost. I'll talk to Rick again, as well, and clear up the situation.

Similar Missions

1. Three More, at The Family Game Store, 12 October '15
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-12-2015, 11:02
  2. 12 May '14 at The Family Game Store
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-15-2014, 10:35
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 08:49
  4. Veteran's Day at The Family Game Store