Ares Games

View Poll Results: How Much Irish Blood do you have?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Over 75%

1 4.55%
  • Under 50%

5 22.73%
  • under 25%

5 22.73%
  • Just a Smidgen

2 9.09%
  • No Idea but I will have an Irish Whisky or a Guiness!

9 40.91%

Thread: Finally "The Irish Blood POLL"!

Smile Finally "The Irish Blood POLL"!

1) Over 75% Irish
    2) Less than 50% Irish
    3) Less than 25%
    4) Just a Smidgen
    5) No Idea but I will have an Irish Whisky or a Guinness!
    Last edited by gully_raker; 03-16-2019 at 17:38.

Jamesons and Guinness can be found in my blood

my great grandma on my moms side was irish (her maiden name was dowty) and theres a smidgen of irish on my dads side. so plenty to justify celebrating st patricks day.

My Viking ancestors liked redheads, and there is more to a raid than pillaging.

"No idea" - I've certainly not come across any mention in family documents/anecdotes etc.

"Ancestry" were spectacularly unhelpful and mortifyingly expensive, so I binned them as soon as possible.

I do enjoy an occasional Guinness, but that doesn't prove anything.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

My paternal grandmother was Irish or at least part Irish. My wife also has Irish ancestors, from Rosscommon (she's still delving into that line).
    Her maternal grandma was born in the USA (Ohio), her mum was born in Canada, she was born in England. Somewhere in the other tributaries there is native Indian. My family trace back to the Normans according to my sister and I like a red head... We are truly mongrel people.
    Last edited by flash; 03-18-2019 at 08:44.

"He is wise who watches"

I'll forgo the Guiness in favour of a Murphy's but you can keep the Jamisons coming!

I've been known to have a fifth of scotch in me.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

I did go to St. Patrick's in grammar school and have a bottle of Jamison's.

I have none as far as I know. This option was not available.
    Last edited by Naharaht; 03-17-2019 at 16:13.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

My uncle traced the Scottish side of the family over to Northern Ireland in the later half of the 1700s, but he couldn't get them back to Scotland afterward...McBurney is the family name...

So...single malt Scotch and Guiness and Mackesen's and Jameson's are all in my wheelhouse..pint:

All the best,
    Matt

According to 'Ancestry' I'm approx 46% on my dad's side & 8 on my mum's.
    Average it out & I've definitely got some!
    That said, I detest Guinness & I'm a bourbon boy, rather than whisky...so maybe this Ancestry thing is all a big lie...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    According to 'Ancestry' I'm approx 46% on my dad's side & 8 on my mum's.
    Average it out & I've definitely got some!
    That said, I detest Guinness & I'm a bourbon boy, rather than whisky...so maybe this Ancestry thing is all a big lie...
    Not to worry Phillip. Tastes can change but Blood does not!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    My grandmother was Irish or at least part Irish. My wife also has Irish ancestors, from Rosscommon (she's still delving into that line).
    Her maternal grandma was born in the USA (Ohio), her mum was born in Canada, she was born in England. Somewhere in the other tributaries there is native Indian. My family trace back to the Normans according to my sister and I like a red head... We are truly mongrel people.

so youve got a touch of buckeye as well!!!

My paternal great grandmother was from Cork. My paternal great grandfather was an English stone mason who went to Cork to work on one of the cathedrals in the 19th century where he met and married her. Shortly thereafter they left for the states. On my maternal side, it is almost exclusively English with a touch of Scots (that side came to the colonies prior to the American War for Independence with a grant of land in the Hudson River Valley from the King). So, on this poll I selected the "under 25%" option.

My paternal father 5-6 generations back (1850s) was Irish, thus is my surname.
    Another family line which is Scots might be Scots-Irish (some uncertainty with the immigration/transportation records.
    Otherwise, lots of Swedish, Norwegian, English, Scots, a bit of German, and one line of French via Haiti.
    Red hair comes from the Swedes, so red-haired irish have viking blood in them.
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    so youve got a touch of buckeye as well!!!
    Not me Phil but my kids & grandson do !
    I know for a fact my son was 'Made in the USA' & my daughter was 'Made in Canada' though - Must be something in the water your side of the pond and now you know why I didn't bring the Missus to Origins.. can't be too careful

"He is wise who watches"

On my mothers side my Grandmothers family came from Hamilton in Ireland. (Exact location unknown).

On my fathers side, a possibility that some of the Bayly clan were clergy in Ireland.

As to the rest a touch of French, Norman, Viking I suppose.

I'll have to do one of those DNA ancestry things to fins out more.

Neil

PS: and part Geordie too.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I doubt I have any Irish in me once I leave the bar's men's room.

My ancestry is 50% German(Grandfather -Dresden, Saxony, Grandmother -Augsburg, Bavaria), 12.5% native American(Micmac), 37.5% French Canadian.

I flew the OTT with my Grandfather's name as there was a WWI ace who donned it.

Non at all, mainly mongrel. 12.5 % Scots, some Norman french from 1066. The rest unknown.
    Mrs K on the other hand has 25% Irish blood.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Seems to be a lot of us who have some Norman in them...
    There's a place close to Liverpool, which I plan to go to some day & claim my family heritage - Knowsley.

No idea what so ever, probably none. However, if we were talking about Jamesons or Guinness then it would undoubtedly be 95%+

Just enough Banshee to make myself a right nasty pain in the arse when I put my mind to it, with a carefully controlled (and great pains taken to do so!) Irish temper mixed in with the whitebread WASP. Do have a certain weakness toward ginger-tressed lasses, though...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Do have a certain weakness toward ginger-tressed lasses, though...

well, who doesnt...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

I've not a hunch. My skin tone is Celtic, my beard is red and my siblings are both pure redheads. Maybe there was an Irish ancestor - but hey we're all humans from planet Earth - so who cares?!

P. S.: Guinness is for my taste too stale - I prefer a ice cooled porter, IPA or Dunkles Weizen (Schneider Weiße Tap 6).

Similar Missions

1. "Salute" 22-04-2017 Game #2 - "Battle of Britain"
    By Flying Helmut in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-17-2017, 21:51
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2015, 07:12
  3. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory at "Etna Comics" and "Settimo in Gioco" (Italy, September 2012)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 09:19
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39
  5. Finally took the "Giant" Plunge
    By afilter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 10:29