Ares Games
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Started with Valom Fokker EIII set

Yay! I gave gimbal mounts and proper flight stands that aren’t hard to pick up and don’t fall over and knock other things around. Happy with the method of ‘installing’ - thanks to all those who experimented.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78CBC96E-807E-4EEF-A353-7464F5F161F8.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	265900

Well, they'll do!!!!!

Glad you got a good result!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Well, they'll do!!!!!

Glad you got a good result!
    I will say that if I had the equivalent Ares models these would be my preferred ones to use. I’m actually looking forward to doing the valom Fokker Dr.I kit. By avoiding my self-inflicted wounds and using Florian tricks I anticipate a smoother run.

Quote Originally Posted by Karo7 View Post
    Unfortunately Václav answered, that he won't do any further WWI kits. Neither for scale modellers nor wargamers. He is thinking the typical wargamer has no interest in kit building, at all.
    That's bad news because once assembled the surface finish on the Valom planes is far superior to Shapeways ones and they come with decals so its a cost effective way of getting planes on the table. I'm sure if these were easy to assemble there would be more demand from wargamers, although whether it would support his business enough to make it profitable I don't know.
    When you look at the Ares planes they are manufactured to be assembled easily but that means some of the difficult bits are out of scale. You win some, you lose some.

Paul it might have been a bumpy ride but the finished planes look brilliant, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    That's bad news because once assembled the surface finish on the Valom planes is far superior to Shapeways ones and they come with decals so its a cost effective way of getting planes on the table. I'm sure if these were easy to assemble there would be more demand from wargamers, although whether it would support his business enough to make it profitable I don't know.
    When you look at the Ares planes they are manufactured to be assembled easily but that means some of the difficult bits are out of scale. You win some, you lose some.

Paul it might have been a bumpy ride but the finished planes look brilliant, well done.
    Thanks, John.

I am thinking of picking up a couple of Dr.I kits which will be enough for a Jasta. The main lessons for me from this are:

1) use proper blues and throw out the old tubes - don’t be cheap!
    2) forget rigging the models - it’s more consistent with the Ares models and I actually prefer them without
    3) use Florian’s tricks - e.g., styrofoam for building the undercarriage
    4j find some good schematic diagrams (e.g., online) and study them - don't just rely on the instructions
    5) don’t be impatient
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 04-06-2019 at 17:00.

Thank you Paul for sharing your initial Valom construction learning experiences in this thread. I just completed my first 2 Valom Pups and 2 of the E.III's. I bought these kits because I was desperate to bring these planes into my WoG air force. I had absolutely no scale modeling experience, nor any of the necessary tools. I first attempted to build the Sopwith Pups fat fingered, and with old glue. That went nowhere quick. I immediately purchased some new glue, and a set of tiny tweezers. I then had to rediscover "Patience". I raised 2 daughters, and I remember having absolutely tons and tons of patience back then. After I relearned how to be patient, I was able to complete all 4 models. I definitely could not have completed them without having read your learning experiences. I used way way too much glue, and they are and will remain unpainted, but with the applied decals and flight pegs attached, they are ready for the gaming table. Thanks again for this very informative thread. It was extremely helpful to this newbie model builder. Rep sent!

Thanks for your comments, Paul. Patience is key but it’s okay to season the patience with a sprinkling of cuss words.

FYI - I still use too much glue but at least I haven’t resorted to reinforcing with duct tape.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Missions

1. Fokker EIII
    By stiggo44 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-26-2015, 10:15
  2. 1/144 Brengun Fokker EII/EIII
    By Roger Wilco in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-03-2014, 10:26
  3. WGF Seeing RED! Fokker EIII Renegade!
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-01-2013, 19:14
  4. Reviresco Fokker EIII
    By Dark Horse in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 04:37
  5. SKYTREX FOKKER EIII - AND THEN THERE WERE THREE!
    By COLBATMAN in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-19-2011, 20:41