Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunderchild 3D printed

Default Thunderchild 3D printed

I have been inspired by the postings in this thread - https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...499#post497499

And so I decided that this would be an ideal project to try my hand. I began by downloading these files from Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2595903

I then discovered that the files, though looking promising were way too small and so my first try was to scale up the Canopus file to give me a model about 170(ish) mm in length. You can see the result of my trial print in the thread referenced above.

I then imported the file in Tinkercad and the first step was to delete all of the coarse details (Turrets, guns, masts & funnels)

I am now partway through recreating (and hopefully improving) these details in Tinkercad - holes for masts and turrets to allow for brass & aluminum rod replacements and I just need to model the turrets and print the files to see how it looks.

Here is a screenshot of where I am up to:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3Q view.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	264375

More to come...

As I look at my screen shot I’m thinking that the stern should be rounded off plus I realise that I haven’t created the holes for the guns in the rear sponsons (is that the correct terminology??)

I also need to do something about ventilators and lifeboats!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Looking quite promising, Wayne! Your 170mm size sound like a nice goal - not too big but not too little to do some detail work...

I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

All the best,
    Matt

If you're going to alter the hull, you might consider adding a Ram bow?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Looks interesting, Wayne. I do believe sponsons is the term you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    If you're going to alter the hull, you might consider adding a Ram bow?
    Wouldn't that be below the waterline? I figure he's making a waterline model.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Here's a link to the wiki page about the ship that inspired Thunderchild, it may be useful

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Polyphemus_(1881)

On many photos you can just see the start of the slope of the ram above the water level, when the bow wave curves down.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Here's a link to the wiki page about the ship that inspired Thunderchild, it may be useful

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Polyphemus_(1881)

I decided to do a partial print so see how well my design translated into plastic. I printed in a lower quality just to check my measurements and here is the result- a bit ‘good new, bad news’!

Name:	DDB7F0F0-A56A-4230-A1D0-474C4EC7E396.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	264437

Hm, my holes for masts and secondary armament are a tad small - I might try slightly drilling them out before deciding whether or not to redo them. The funnel worked well but will need a bit of tweaking to get the rings properly centred.

Well to a complete rookie when it comes to 3d printing, I never got past the bit where you turn your design from 2d to 3d without it looking like it had suffered a melt down, that seems to be coming on very well.
    Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

As someone whose computer skills leave something to be desired, this whole 3D design/manipulation/printing thingy is a marvel to me Like Rob, I think this first partial print looks like a great start, Wayne.

All the best,
    Matt

Thanks for the encouragement team. I’m not sure how much progress I will make in what remains of this week. I fly to Perth on Sunday evening for a week of meetings but will have evenings in my hotel room to work on it - in between watching episodes of BSG kindly loaned to me by my flying mate Baxter.

When I get the model done to my satisfaction, I will put the files up on the site so others can print their own. I am thinking of a couple of alternative turret designs (hence the empty turret rings fore and aft) and am busy sketching ideas out on paper - the flight from Adelaide to Perth will give plenty of doodling time.

Also, I want to try designing a set of lifeboats and ventilators but am unsure if my printer will be able to manage them.

Masts and guns will still need to be brass or aluminium tubing but I’m sure there are inventive people out there that will use all sorts of alternative materials if tubing is hard to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Wouldn't that be below the waterline? I figure he's making a waterline model.
    Karl
    The furthest point forward at the waterline will be in front of the furthest point forward on the forecastle deck;. it's like the curve of a clipper bow, but upside-down.

Name:	ram bow.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	264438
    Ram bow

Name:	Clipper bow.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	264439
    Clipper bow

Thanks for that 3-view Tim. As I am modifying the superstructure I’m not sure how I will go changing the bow shape. I’ll give it a go once I have finished the (easier) changes.

Reading the latest posts relating to T &T delivery dates, I’ve got plenty of time to work on this project!

Thanks also from me Tim.
    That shows exactly what I was trying to explain.
    Rob.

Here's a look at 1910 HMV Emden for period deck detail ideas . . . Nice paper model kit I got for my son's birthday : )

Name:	20190312_193152.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	264448

Looking good, I would consider leaving the gun holes smaller and drilling them out by had to the correct size. Deck planking detail would be nice also if possable.

Nice one David - I remember giving the Revell plastic kit version of this to a friend years ago, this was the inspiration for my remodelling of the funnels, though I think I have 'overcooked' them a bit - artistic license!!

Here are my latest changes: improved funnels plus a bridge structure. I'm keen to change the bow shape and am tossing ideas around strategies but Tinkercad sometimes requires a bit of 'outside the box' thinking to achieve the desired end result.

Name:	3Q view_2.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	264450

A trip to my local model shop turned up this in the second hand shelf. I reckon this will provide me with lifeboats, deck guns, searchlights and maybe extra bits for masts and who knows what else. I’m thinking though that I’ll have to get a bit creative when it comes to ventilators!

Name:	4890A32C-ECD5-44FD-887E-E379DE7DF993.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	264527

Good buy. It is very similar to HMAS Adelaide I.
    Last edited by Baxter; 03-16-2019 at 01:44.

Great idea, there will be lots of goodies to borrow there! Well done Indeed!

This is a really interesting concept. I quite like the idea of it being a stripped down model without all of the detail you get on a plastic model ship.

I have never tried cad design so sorry if this is a daft question but what are the difficulties producing ventilators?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    (snip)...I have never tried cad design so sorry if this is a daft question but what are the difficulties producing ventilators?
    Hi John - it could well be that it is a combination of my lack of skill (which I am trying to develop via this project) and/or the limitations of Tinkercad. It could also happen that, even if I was successful, my printer may not reproduce them well given their small size - I have had very mixed success attempting to print stuff for my brother's N-scale train layout (N-scale = 1/165). I did have a mad idea today of trying to bend plastic tubing in boiling water and then flaring the end to achieve the distinctive shape, as per this graphic:

Name:	Ship-Ventilator.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	264535

Meanwhile I'm playing around with possible turret designs:

Name:	2 Turrets.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	264536

Name:	3Q+turret_1.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	264537

My aim is to design several different turrets so that people can print the one(s) that appeal to them.

And... presto, I now have 3 turret designs:

Name:	3 Turrets.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	330.9 KB 
ID:	264541

Of course I still have to print them to see if the designs will actually turn out well enough to be useful!
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 03-16-2019 at 06:23.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Great to see your progress with this project, Wayne! The purchase of the 1/700 kit is a great idea for spare parts. This way, you can clutter it up as much or as little as suits you. I love the idea of trying out different turret designs - they would go a long way in making the ships look different. Unfortunately, your attachment for your three turret options doesn't show up...

I am really looking forward to seeing your finished product

All the best,
    Matt

Hi Matt

Not sure what that was about, I have reloaded the file so, hopefully, you can now critique my turret designs.

Oh, and I do need to report back that my mad idea for bending plastic tubing was a bust - back to the drawing board

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

All three look cool, Wayne The order from left to right sort of looks like late 1800s to end of WWI - I think a ship would look great with any of them. It just depends what sort of look you're going for

All the best,
    Matt

You might try starting a conversation with Decapod Models on the Shapeways site. He has designed 1/600 and 1/700 freighters which have printed in ventilators. The freighters that I have are 110 mm and 180 mm in length so it is certainly possible. It would also depend on the resolution of your own 3D printer. Shapeways printers have definitely improved over time.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

You may get better results with solid plastic spru Wayne.
    Rob..

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    You may get better results with solid plastic spru Wayne.
    Rob..
    Yes, I’m starting to think that way too. I did mean to ask where you got your ventilators from Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    All three look cool, Wayne The order from left to right sort of looks like late 1800s to end of WWI - I think a ship would look great with any of them. It just depends what sort of look you're going for

All the best,
    Matt
    Hi Matt, the middle one is my favourite and, coincidentally, the first design I created! The hemisphere design was inspired by the Thunderchild model referenced in the first post but that one is printed by a very different method that allows much higher resolution so is beyond the capabilities of my printer.

I intend to do a trial print of all 3 turrets this afternoon after church and before I fly out to Perth for the week. This will give me 4 evenings when I will have time to fix/improve/scrap and rework my designs.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Sounds like a great idea, Wayne! That cylindrical turret is a classic - I like it a lot, too. I really look forward to where you go/what you come up with for this ship

I think Rob's idea about sprue is a good one - you can heat it and bend it to get the 'bell' of the pieces you are wanting to make...

All the best,
    Matt

Well, here are the results of my test printing of the turrets:

Name:	BB16E71A-37E9-46EA-92CB-0048AF7491E6.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	264550

Name:	300F91BD-AC4B-4836-B065-7D887C871138.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	264551

Name:	BCA3E7E7-A642-4466-A5B7-AC271B44C961.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	264552

Name:	59B83C84-89F0-407A-B4A7-5210A5E378F9.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	264553

Hm, a bit of fine tuning needed here and there but I think I am in the home straight. When I
    have got the designs tweaked, I will upload the .stl files so that anyone else can print them. I will also make the Tinkercad files accessible so that others can modify them to suit their needs/tastes.

This might take a little while as I fly out to Perth tonight and, although I can keep working on the files whilst there, I won’t be able to do any test printing until I return home next Friday night.
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 03-16-2019 at 19:31. Reason: Fixed spelling

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Sounds like a great idea, Wayne! That cylindrical turret is a classic - I like it a lot, too. I really look forward to where you go/what you come up with for this ship

I think Rob's idea about sprue is a good one - you can heat it and bend it to get the 'bell' of the pieces you are wanting to make...

All the best,
    Matt
    There's no need to bend it - each sprue has at least 4 ready-"bent" corners.................................

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Well played, Tim! The sprue trees in Wayne's 1/700 pre-owned ship purchase should provide all the sprue corners he might need...unless the sprue diameter isn't a match for size requirements...

All the best,
    Matt

How good is this - flying from Adelaide to Perth and I have internet access so I can read everyone’s helpful suggestions - cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Yes, I’m starting to think that way too. I did mean to ask where you got your ventilators from Rob.
    I thought I got them from Waterline Models Wayne, but just checked through all their spares pages and they don't seem to have any now. The only other place I can think of is an old Nevis Neptune ship I stripped down for parts some years ago as it was a wreck when i got it second hand.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I thought I got them from Waterline Models Wayne, but just checked through all their spares pages and they don't seem to have any now. The only other place I can think of is an old Nevis Neptune ship I stripped down for parts some years ago as it was a wreck when i got it second hand.
    Rob.
    Hi Rob. Thanks for that - but not unexpected as I had done the usual Google search plus eBay and could only find ventilators for much larger scale models.

Sprue sounds like the way to go. I must confess that this hadn't even crossed my mind - a sign of advancing years maybe

Well, after a longer delay thatn I would have liked, here are my final files - 2 versions of the hull and 2 turret styles.

I need to do a test print to check that all my dimensions are going to 'work' and if all is OK I will upload the stl files here and to Thingiverse.

Name:	Canopus3 - round stern.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	331.3 KB 
ID:	265200

Name:	Canopus3.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	284.6 KB 
ID:	265201

Name:	Circular turret.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	265202

Name:	Hemi turret.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	265203

Looks well worth the wait to me Wayne.
    Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I agree with Rob, Wayne - it's looking mighty fine Now I shall have to find someone with 3D printing capabilities and pick up a used ship model at my local hobby shop for spare parts. Great work here!

All the best,
    Matt

Well, the proof is in the printing, as they say...

I’m not that happy with the quality but that’s what I get for tweaking my printer settings. A great example of ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’!! You can see some ‘stringing’ on the base of the turrets.

If you look closely you will see where I got a bit carried away hollowing out the superstructure of the rounded stern variant and also on the cutout on the front of the hemispherical turret. Oh well back to the keyboard and mouse

Name:	1CFC0967-B468-4173-A654-7FB629A22687.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	265268

Name:	08E138E5-2866-4E10-A4B2-B3BCB4F4832F.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	265269

I’ve just fixed and reprinted my rounded stern variant and it looks good. Now to tackle that turret!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Looking good, Wayne! I think I personally prefer the 'rounded stern' version...and I really like both turret variations Good luck as you tweak things.

All the best,
    Matt

Well, I reprinted my turrets and I’m still not happy. The problem is that, because I wanted them to rotate, I introduced a 90 degree angle between the base of the turret and the plug that fits into the circular cutout in the deck.

I have 3 options here:

1. Really slow down the printer speed
    2. Print the turret and the plug separately and then glue the 2 parts together
    3. Forget about rotating turrets and glue the turret directly to the deck

I’m reluctant to try option 2 as that introduces another layer of complexity, as does doing nothing and spending time cleaning up the base of a small bit of plastic that (in the case of the hemispherical turret) is awkward to hold.

I really don’t like option 3.

So option 1 will be my first try even though it requires a bit of ‘suck it & see’! Well at least a single turret print is quick and doesn’t use a lot of filament!

Watch this space.

Well, option 1 is still not really working well. I am, reluctantly, going to try again with ‘supports’ turned on but that will still mean a cleanup job on the undersides of the turrets that I was hoping to avoid.

Yesterday I dashed out to nearby hobby shop to buy my 1mm, 2mm & 3mm brass rod for guns & masts but decided to put up a photo using current turrets with plastic rod standing in for brass rod just to give an indication of the final look.

Name:	92F03FED-5D41-4031-8559-DA7315BAEB7B.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	265315
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 03-29-2019 at 00:04.

Looking good to me Wayne, at least you will be ready before they rest of the kit arrives, plenty of time to get ship shape and Bristol

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I agree with Chris, Wayne - this is looking mighty nice, and it seems you are working out all the bugs as you go...

All the best,
    Matt

Hooray! My test print using supports for the turrets was a success. Not only did they print nicely but the supports broke away with minimal scarring on the underside of the turret which meant very little cleanup. Here is the test turret Just after I removed the support material and before any other cleaning up with file and hobby knife:

Name:	908A3A36-F01F-4F2C-9F74-53BA9DB1D292.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	265316

Name:	92A6D76C-0902-4028-84A6-32DCD7D93ED1.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	265317

Name:	11EB5B8E-A43F-4BF1-8E01-AB5BB307B84C.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	265318

Of course everything is vastly magnified in these closeup shots.

I reckon I am now happy to contribute my stl files so that anyone else can create their own Thunderchild. Of course they would still need to provide their own guns, masts, ventilators, lifeboats and whatever else they would want to add to this basic model.
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 03-29-2019 at 00:05.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WGSF A Kickstarter for 3D Printed Models.
    By Naharaht in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2019, 11:48
  2. Kickstarter for 3D printed airplane files
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2019, 12:46
  3. 3d printed Ships
    By Redbaron in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2018, 05:17
  4. Help with printed decals
    By brdavis in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-19-2016, 07:49
  5. Get Your Planes Printed... at Staples?!?!
    By jbmacek in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-02-2012, 08:22