Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thunderchild 3D printed

Thank you for making this model available for use to the membership Wayne. This shows the true spirit of the Drome in action once again.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I have now uploaded the 4 files to the 'Game aids' section in WWI but will also add more information to this thread and that file as I begin construction ie adding guns, lifeboats, ventilators etc. I am now waiting for the files to be approved - as an aside, I have played around with the file sorting filter and I can't see the logic behind it - can anyone explain it to me or is it broken?

I guess the trick will be to keep reminding myself that I am not building a model for display on the shelf, but a gaming piece that will need to withstand being constantly handled and moved around the gaming mat plus needing to be relatively easy to store!

Oh, and I printed mine on my Cocoon Create Touch printer (purchased from ALDI) which is a clone of the Wanhao Duplicator Plus.
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 03-29-2019 at 21:32.

Time to start pulling together my extra bits!

Brass tubing - 3mm, 2mm & 1mm:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-1mm.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	265374

Name:	3-2mm.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	265375

These will be for main armament (2mm sleeved inside 3mm); masts (1mm sleeved inside 2mm) and secondary armaments (1mm). The photos make the tubing appear as if the fit is sloppy but in reality the 2mm fits neatly inside the 3mm and the 1mm fits nicely inside the 2mm!

I got this kit secondhand from a hobby shop in anticipation that I could scavenge/re-purpose items from it:

Name:	Donor kit.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	265376

And I was right! Here be lifeboats:

Name:	lifeboats.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	265377

And deck guns:

Name:	gunshields.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	265378

Name:	Deck guns.jpg 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	265379

Hm, I can use the rounded sprue to scratch-build ventilators:

Name:	sprue ventilators.jpg 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	265380

I might even be able to use these as part of the masts, though they may be a bit flimsy. Oh well at least I have raw material for more ventilators:

Name:	Mast.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	265381

And so it begins
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 03-30-2019 at 20:47.

Exactly what I use for my guns Wayne.
    I have yet to embark on three sleeve guns that I saw on some ship or other a while back.
    Rob.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Those parts from the Japanese cruiser look like they will be just the ticket, Wayne! Now I will need to source a local friend with a 3D printer and hit the local hobby shop that buys model collections - I know they have lots of model ships from collections they've purchased...

Thanks again for all of your groundwork and inspiration on this project!

All the best,
    Matt

Sorry folks, I can't see my uploaded files yet - maybe I did something wrong when uploading?

Drop Keith a PM about them Wayne. He has to authorize them.
    Rob.

Hi folks - I stuffed up with my last attempt at uploading my .stl files so I have given it another go.

This time I did so in what is most probably a more logical location - the Hobby files.

I'll add links to them here once they have been approved.

I just tweaked my hull by deleting the 'turret ring' and then did a test print in grey (gray). I also started to play around with brass tubing for my main armament but I'm not sure it looks right - maybe I should use 1mm brass sleeved inside 2mm brass tubing:

Name:	IMG_4713.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	265872

Still a long way to go in terms of 'fit-out'!

Note to self: must hunt out those Drednought rules in the files section.
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 04-04-2019 at 23:14.

I have just put the complete set of files up on Thingiverse for downloading if you need your own Thunderchild:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3542024

That is looking really good Wayne.
    The details when added will make it a thing of beauty I'm sure.
    Rob.

Coming along very nicely!

Well done, that man!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

What a change a color makes - Battleship Grey from the get-go! Looking quite tasty, indeed I like the two-tube look of the main guns, but the third tube might make it look even more 'antiquated'...

Keep up the great work!
    All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    What a change a color makes - Battleship Grey from the get-go! Looking quite tasty, indeed I like the two-tube look of the main guns, but the third tube might make it look even more 'antiquated'...

Keep up the great work!
    All the best,
    Matt
    Thanks Matt, yes it is amazing what a difference the different coloured filament has made. This will be a good base for painting. Re the guns, I’m probably going to shorten the 2mm tubing and sleeve some 1mm tubing inside of that as I agree, it could look more antiquated - ah the beauty of being able to mess around and experiment knowing that if you get it wrong you can just print another turret and start again

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

How are things going with using the 1/700 scale Japanese ship bits on your model, Wayne? Are you happy with the scale size and the way things are going? I look forward to pictures when you have a chance!

All the best,
    Matt

Nice job Wayne. Now to see it doing battle with the Martins.

Name:	img082 (2).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	267249

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    How are things going with using the 1/700 scale Japanese ship bits on your model, Wayne? Are you happy with the scale size and the way things are going? I look forward to pictures when you have a chance!

All the best,
    Matt
    Hi Matt

Unfortunately progress has ground to a temporary halt (called ‘life’ I think!). Hopefully progress will resume shortly!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

No worries, Wayne! It has been my experience that 'Life' is a rather daunting distraction from hobby on numerous occasions, too... All in good time! I am holding off on buying a 1/700 scale ship until I see how you like your kit-bashing with yours. And I haven't gotten a print of your Thunderchild 3D file yet, anyway, so it truly is no big deal. I shall continue to watch this space with interest

All the best,
    Matt

As I was chatting up convention goers at Curious ComiCon in Nanaimo, pointing out the Tripods that will be showing up (soon?), a question came up.

Will Thunderchild be included? I mentioned that a Forum member was building a self-produced 3D print version. I handed out a 'drome business card, so perhaps we'll see if we get a new visitor, to admire your work, Wayne.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I think Thunderchild would have been a much better stretch goal than some of the ones they gave us.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    As I was chatting up convention goers at Curious ComiCon in Nanaimo, pointing out the Tripods that will be showing up (soon?), a question came up.

Will Thunderchild be included? I mentioned that a Forum member was building a self-produced 3D print version. I handed out a 'drome business card, so perhaps we'll see if we get a new visitor, to admire your work, Wayne.
    Thanks for that Mike but I had better get a wriggle on and start work on my painting. I did dash out last Friday and add to my paint stock. Now I just need to blow the cobwebs off my compressor and my airbrush!
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 05-06-2019 at 00:13. Reason: Fixed typos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. WGSF A Kickstarter for 3D Printed Models.
    By Naharaht in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2019, 11:48
  2. Kickstarter for 3D printed airplane files
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2019, 12:46
  3. 3d printed Ships
    By Redbaron in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2018, 05:17
  4. Help with printed decals
    By brdavis in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-19-2016, 07:49
  5. Get Your Planes Printed... at Staples?!?!
    By jbmacek in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-02-2012, 08:22