Ares Games

Thread: Defiant's Over Hull !

Default Defiant's Over Hull !

Caught WW2 Treasure Hunters yesterday on the History channel - this one covered the Hull Blitz & involved the team presented by Suggs and WW2 militaria expert, Stephen Taylor, digging up remains of a Bolton Paul Defiant. Very interesting programme if you get a chance to see it.

https://www.history.co.uk/shows/ww2-...the-hull-blitz
    https://www.history.co.uk/shows/ww2-treasure-hunters

"He is wise who watches"

Very interesting. Thanks for that tip off Dave.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Saw this episode a while back and just for the record it's BOULTON PAUL (not BOLTON).

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Saw this episode a while back and just for the record it's BOULTON PAUL (not BOLTON).
    His name's Dave, not Paul
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Must be a palindrome then if it's not- lob, or is the U just an addition: ie. a Bolt-on.
    Rob.

As the article said, very few people knew how much Hull suffered. My mother does. She lived in Selby thirty miles away. All the staff and pupils from a girls secondary school in Hull were evacuated to Selby and they shared my mother's school. Each school used the buildings for half a day every school day.

Another interesting aspect of the Hull Blitz was the various camouflage tricks, which were used, to deceive the German planes at night into bombing open countyside - fake lights and stretches of water.

Sadly, I do not have access to Sky T.V. so I cannot watch the show. Hopefully, it may be shown on a Freeview channel or Youtube one day.

My son and Granddaughter live in Hull. Her school has been covering the Hull blitz this term... one advantage of being chair of governors is that I get to see all the great work the kids and teachers have been doing.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    His name's Dave, not Paul
    Yes, and mine's Boulton and not Bolton so there!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Must be a palindrome then if it's not- lob, or is the U just an addition: ie. a Bolt-on.
    Rob.
    Actually there are more of us Boultons than there are Boltons but everybody mis-spells it. Very, very annoying!

And I'm from Bolton, not Boulton.

What really annoyed me about that particular program was that the name was mis -spelled on it. If you can't trust them to get the basics correct it makes you wonder what else is not fully researched.

What is that pole thing hanging down underneath the plane?

Actually there are more of us Boultons than there are Boltons but everybody mis-spells it. Very, very annoying!
    No need to shout Reg - simple soft key issue.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    What is that pole thing hanging down underneath the plane?
    It’s a retractable aerial, placed there as there wasn’t Room to put it on the top, what with the turret an’ all.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Lovely aircraft. One of my fav's

Very entertaining chaps One of the earliest Airfix models I managed to get glue all over. Fond memories and one of my favourites too

I distinctly remember Kyte flying rings around me in his Defiant . Lovely Aircraft!

Quote Originally Posted by WarBoar View Post
    I distinctly remember Kyte flying rings around me in his Defiant . Lovely Aircraft!
    Was he trying to envelop you in a ring of fire?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Was he trying to envelop you in a ring of fire?
    haha I don't need any help in that department..... swear my callsign should've been Zippo

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

I can see that this might be of interest to some people round here. https://store.warlordgames.com/colle...fiant-squadron
    Looks like we need some cards. BRS seems to be getting some other new models that we can pinch for our game besides this one as well.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 03-16-2019 at 06:25.

There are a couple of Boulton Paul Defiant cards in the Files section, Robert. Take a look at https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...p?do=cat&id=90

Looks like I will be investing in BRS Robert. I was thinking of adding another Defiant to the one I have already, but this way Capt Kiwi gets a couple as well.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. BP Defiant Firing Arc?
    By atomzero in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-08-2018, 15:27
  2. AIM Boulton and Paul Defiant.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-30-2015, 01:19
  3. 1/200 Defiant
    By miscmini in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8