Ares Games

Thread: IPMS Show, Thormbury, 4th August

Default IPMS Show, Thormbury, 4th August

We have been invited once again to the IPMS Show in Thormbury, this year taking place on 4th August (an auspicious anniversary...). I'm assuming we want to attend?

Anyone interested please let me know ASAP. I was thinking one table for WW1 and a display table but open to suggestions

No work rosta that far ahead, but I'll keep it in mind - thanks for the heads-up.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Have to convince swmbo. Will confirm closer to the date.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Might be doable as I'll (hopefully) be that much closer but will have to confirm nearer the day.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

A yes from me Dave, quite happy to do Wings

I have sent in a booking form - one large table for the game (WW1) plus additional tables for a display. We have six passes

Can only say I'll be there if I can, but not sure I'll be able to make it at this point. Shall know more nearer the date.

Thornbury is only three weeks away. Can those who are planning to join in with this one please confirm below?

Yes I can do this Dave, also Simon (Maverick) is available, we doing wings 1 yes ?

yes, Wings 1

I'll try, but cannot confirm right now.

Think I should be OK for this one................

I shall be there all things being equal. Do you want me to bring anything? I'll guess that's a no if Tim is attending

Scrub that last message - sorry. Got a three line whip on grandson three's first birthday party How could I get that mixed up huh

Alas am on holiday...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I will bring some stuff as a back up, unfortunately though my banner pole is U/S and finding a replacement is proving difficult.
    Unfortunately Simon cannot make it due to work.

I'll bring my standard stuff plus CMBs and sea planes (with coastal airship) if we want to try something fun. Stuart Machin is coming too

Probably at the extent of my range but also up to my ass in IKEA products I shall look forward to seeing pics of the action instead - have a good 'un !

Have a great time chaps. I remember my two visits some years ago with nostalgia.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I hope that you will all have safe journeys, exciting games and many interested participants.

A brief report to say that we won "Best participation game" again - more details to follow. And Tim won the award for most damage suffered in a single turn

Downed by another collision Tim - careful, that might become a habit
    Well done all on taking the prize

Well done chaps... just a thought, it would be nice to see all the trophies we have won over the past few years... would it be possible to have them all together at Doncaster for a few photos... would make a hell of a display table...

Congratulations chaps.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Well done chaps... just a thought, it would be nice to see all the trophies we have won over the past few years... would it be possible to have them all together at Doncaster for a few photos... would make a hell of a display table...
    I asked a couple of years ago Chris and two were surrendered to me, which I will bring again this year. I know we have won more than this but the others:-

SEEM TO HAVE BEEN LOST IN THE MISTS OF TIME

Rob.

Don't forget though the Thornbury trophy and probably some others have to be returned to the show organisers at the next event
    Last edited by David Manley; 08-05-2019 at 15:23.

Also Thornbury changed what was handed out this year. I think they weren't issuing trophies any more .

- Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    You could do up a "Battle Honours" flag or poster?

Name:  Regimental_Colour-1Bn-Devon_Dorset.png
Views: 219
Size:  271.7 KB

PS: RCAF version:
    Name:  BattleHonours405Sqn_fe4a3038955a122bda9b397e9a0ee47e.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  115.9 KB

PPS: Template?
    Name:  BattleHonour_Guide_CFP200-382.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  171.9 KB
    From the "Honours, Flags and Heritage Structure of the Canadian Forces" official publication. The UK Wing 'Battle Honours' would have a lot more than 7 honours, but you should get the idea.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-05-2019 at 00:43.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Now that is a good idea...

Any volunteer to do this?

We will need name of show and date from any of you who can remember.
    Rob.

A lot of shows never give a trophy for some awards, these been kept for best in show rather than best in a section.
    Yes we have been awarded a number of wins/ best participations but I believe most were just an accolade or maybe a certificate.
    That been said we received the best participation at Thornbury this year, again, and this time we can keep the trophy as they are changing it to a new one which has winners engraved on it.
    I will bring this to Doncaster or my next trip to Newark.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    A lot of shows never give a trophy for some awards, these been kept for best in show rather than best in a section.
    Yes we have been awarded a number of wins/ best participations but I believe most were just an accolade or maybe a certificate.
    That been said we received the best participation at Thornbury this year, again, and this time we can keep the trophy as they are changing it to a new one which has winners engraved on it.
    I will bring this to Doncaster or my next trip to Newark.
    We "Schneider"'d it!

Won it so many times we get to keep it!

You might be allowed to borrow the "Beachhead" Trophy Tim - especially as it's named for Mick Owen a fallen wingman - we'll have to ask Pete.

Good one Chris.
    Are you joining us for Parizan 2 and would you like free quarter at Chez Kyte as per usual?
    Rob.

Hi Rob, will pm you ref Partizan

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Any volunteer to do this?

We will need name of show and date from any of you who can remember.
    Rob.
    Name:  BattleHonour_UK-Wing.png
Views: 216
Size:  62.6 KB

Depending on how you want the Battle Honours, you could do large shows with awards in ALL CAPS, and appearances with Title Case. Or whatever you want...

RAF Battle Honours: rafht.co.uk - RAF Battle Honours
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-05-2019 at 10:42.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Hi Rob, will pm you ref Partizan
    Got it thanks Chris.
    Reply sent.
    Rob.

Congratulations on winning the 'Best Participation Game' award again!

The isea of a 'Battle Honours' flag sounds interesting.

Bit slow again, but well done chaps - great stuff Tim, taken down in another collision Well then, I guess its a good job I wasn't there after all - I would only have added to your misery no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Tim, taken down in another collision Well then, I guess its a good job I wasn't there after all - I would only have added to your misery no doubt
    Brought down twice, once as pictured above, and once by shooting after a '6' collision with another daft Britischer who couldn't see where he was going!
    They really ought to start wearing goggles (and Flying Helmets, of course!)

Last time I did that I could not see through the goggles for condensation Tim. I wiped them a couple of times before I realized it was actually smoke from the fire in my engine.

Kyte.

Similar Missions

1. IPMS Thornbury Show - 5th August 2018
    By David Manley in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-11-2018, 00:22
  2. Thornbury IPMS 2016, August 7th
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-12-2016, 00:40
  3. IPMS Avon Show, 10th August 2014
    Replies: 46