Ares Games

Thread: WMMS 2019 Sunday 10 March

Default WMMS 2019 Sunday 10 March

Sorry for short noticed here.
    Just received confirmation we have a couple of tables allocated at this show this coming Sunday.

Aldersley Leisure Village
    Aldersley Rd
    Wolverhampton
    WV6 9NW

Is anyone available to partake at this show !
    Let me know asap.
    Tables will be WW1, Chris did you say you could attend this? If so can you bring your kit.
    We also have a Sails table which I will try to attend.

Please let me know who is available please

Sorry Chris - no can do next Sunday - already down for some entertainment with friends at home. Hope someone can step up though Enjoy!

Ok thanks Mark appreciate it.

No probs Mike, I know its short notice for confirmation.

'Fraid I'm going to have to duck this one Chris.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I might be able to swing it - will let you know ASAP.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Hi Chris,
    sorry but we are heavily involved with the "End of Service" celebration service for our Minister on Sunday so will not be able to assist.

cheers
    John

Lest we forget

Ok so we have Mark ( Baron Rolf ) and possibly Tim ( Flying Helmut ) so I think it best to scupper Sails and Ill go with Mark for Wings, I hope to be there for 0900 to set up, will bring a banner but the pole is not the correct type so not sure if will work.
    I will bring some balloons so we can run some busting missions and Ill dust off my AEG bombers for some missions.
    Mark can youbring any aircraft you want to use just in case Tim cannot make it.
    I have mats and a trench system table cloth.
    See you Sunday

I'm still trying to clear this with work - looking hopeful so far..................

I'll be there with the BBB Algeria 1841 game, I'll pop over to say hello

Have packed my Wings kit, mats and aircraft intend to be there around 0900 ish

I'm here... posted on wrong thread... Have been severely reprimanded...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Have a great day. Watch out for the fire alarms. Or is that the WingCo on fire again.......
    See you on the Dark Side......

You know they only go off when I am at the show Chris. So don't worry about what Neil says.
    Kyte.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 03-10-2019 at 08:33.

Good to see the chaps putting on their customary excellent display. Well done everybody

Great show... thanks to Mark,Chris and Tim for providing such great company (call out to Dave Manly as well but he was playing elsewhere). Must say a special thank you to Tim and Mark for creating such a target rich environment... RFC losses =0, German losses = 6 plus the rare sight of Tim fleeing off the edge of the board... proper AAR and more fun at Mark and Tim’s expense to follow.

So I arrived somewhat unexpectedly at WMMS (not unexpected for me but for everyone else as I had apparently replied on the wrong thread - cue Paddington Bear hard stare from Chris).. so as soon as we had done the 'what time will the fire alarm go off' sweepstake we went about setting up. As we had all brought planes (see above) we decided to have one playing table and one display table (you know the sort, set it up, make it look pretty then do bugger all other than sit, natter and drink tea.. honestly what is the point, if you are going to all that trouble then the least you could do is PLAY THE BLOODY GAME... sigh, rant over)

Name:  Set up good to go.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  178.3 KB
    The PLAYING table set up, great trenches mat supplied by Chris, decided on some mid war action, so Albatross D.IIs and a Roland 2 Seater against Sopwith Strutters.

Name:  display section.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  165.1 KB
    We did have a plane display section at the end of our table, which proved popular with passers by.

Quick roll call of attendees (and Dave Manely, who was there but not if you get my drift...)

Name:  gangs all here.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  154.1 KB
    L-R Mark (Baron Rolf), Dave Manley (Patient Zero), Tim (Flying Helmut) and Chris (Boney10)

Game one starts, the two Chris's fly for the RFC, Mark and Tim (obviously) playing the Hun in the sun....

Name:  Round one FIRE.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  105.9 KB
    First round of firing and Tim's Roland is on fire

Name:  2 shots two flamers.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  103.5 KB
    second round of firing and thats a double flamer as Mark's Albatross is also set ablaze, I must thank the ground crew for loading the incendiary bullets.

Thought the ace flying skills of Tim would cause trouble for Chris's Strutter when at one point as he zoomed in close, only to suddenly realise that I had accidentally selected the Roland with NO FORWARD FIRING GUN.... oops !!!

Name:  Boom one down.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  152.9 KB
    Whilst everyone (apart from Tim) was still laughing, I roared in with my Strutter and BOOM 1-0 to the RFC (Sorry Mark)

Name:  and its 2-0 for the super strutter.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  134.0 KB
    So Tim found himself alone vs two Strutters with a smoking Albatross (having only just managed to put the fire out), a slight miscalculation of manoeuvres caused a collision, and oops 2-0 to the RFC (second victory for Major Hedeby - all be it somewhat luckily)

So we re-set, swapped out the Roland for one that could actually shoot fowards, and in the absence of any playing punters went at it again.

Name:  game 2 - this time smoke.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  91.6 KB
    First round of firing and it's Mark who cops it this time, however it was only smoke this time.

Name:  round 2  - payback.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  139.4 KB
    Not all one way this time as my Strutter also seems to have a problem... most unsporting, that is making a mess of my paintwork, not to mention the damage to the environment of all that smoke - shocking....

Name:  and its 3-0.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  165.5 KB
    Normal service was resumed a few minutes later as my Strutter gets its third kill of the morning, and with Chris ramming Tim out of the sky we decided to have lunch at 4-0 to the RFC.

Obviously tradition states that after lunch is when one gets one's Bristol's out....

Name:  after lunch - Bristol time.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  96.8 KB

So we went for A bristol F2B (me - obviously) and a Sopwith Snipe (Chris) against a pair of Fokker D.VIIs including Tim's personalised 'Steffi'

Name:  close snipe encounter.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  110.0 KB
    Mark facing off against the Snipe

It was a much better scrap this time (well I say that, the RFC were taking very little damage), I made the mistake of uttering the words, "do you realise I haven't had a single gun jam all day" right before losing both front and rear.

Name:  Steffi takes flight shadowing a snipe.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  113.5 KB
    The action continued whilst I unjammed my guns

Name:  alas poor Steffi - ramming speed.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  154.4 KB
    Alas poor Steffi - and its Snipe 1 Fokker 0

Mark meanwhile was flying his brend new repainted D.VII for the first time (See above)

Name:  its a brand new plane....jpg
Views: 215
Size:  154.1 KB

We did warn Mark aboout what usually happens when you use a new plane for the first time, and true to form his new D.VII repaint was next to go making it a rather one sided 6-0 to the RFC.

Name:  curse of the new plane.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  103.0 KB

The Germans were a sorry looking bunch

Name:  bullet holes - hows it going fritz.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  145.4 KB

So for the next game the Germans binned off the D.VIIs and decided to go with Siemens Schuckerts instead, meaning we had a new 'Steffi' to shoot at, we were also joined by a couple of punters who took a D.VII and a Camel respectively (Father (Camel) vs. son) Chris decided to ditch the Snipe and go for a Sopwith Triplane (Cue a steam of comments about wing spacing)
    Surely this time things would be different....

Name:  this time with siemens schuckerts.jpg
Size:  163.3 KB
    Out for revenge

Name:  formation siemens.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  136.1 KB
    Some neat formation flying by the twin Siemens

Name:  different plane same story sorry Mark.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  159.3 KB
    or not.. new plane same result for Mark

On the right of the table, father shot down son (nice one dad) and joined in the battle against a very battered Steffi...

Name:  Tim running away.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  138.9 KB
    Tim was last seen fleeing (with his 2 HP) for the safety of the edge of the table thus depriving the RFC with and 8-0 wipe out. Still it was not a bad result with a resounding 7-0 score in the favour of the RFC/RAF. Not bad for a day's work and so different from the usual slaughters that happen at these shows.

Name:  a good day at the office.jpg
Size:  155.7 KB
    A good day at the office, not bad from someone who seemed to suprise everyone just by actually turning up. and NO FIRE ALARM this year (must be broken). Well worth the 2 hour drive through the snow to get there. I love this show, although have to say it got very quiet in the afternoon, not sure too many of the traders will have made a great deal on the day. Nice to see Roland (ex- Stafford games) back trading again, he even had planes and boats for sale which was nice.

Thanks to all the chaps for turning up, it was a good day
    Last edited by Hedeby; 03-11-2019 at 08:17.

Excellent report Chris, sounds like loads of fun, well loads of fun if you were flying for the RFC, not so much so if you were not. Although the dead men still looked very happy it's true to say.
    Thanks for the post.

A most enjoyable and amusing report Chris.
    Good day for the RFC/ RAF for sure.
    With all that smoke and flame about, you must be correct about the fire alarm.
    Nothing to do with my absence at all then.
    Thanks to everyone who held the lines so admirably on the day.
    Kyte.

Frightfully good show for the RFC. Teach those Huns to stay on their side of the line.

Unusual to get so many victories on one side.

Dispite having every single aircraft getting destroyed I had a great day. And both myself and Tim managed to buy a OOP Fokker D.VII each, which was brilliant as it eased the pain of losing every single game we played against Boney 10 and Hedeby.

Is That D.VII number 1,003 for Steffi’s Dad?

Can’t wait to see what he does with it.

Great report. Looks like a good time all around.
    The Huns could at least enjoy a lager or three to ease the pain.
    Gotta let the RFC/RAF boys win once in a while or they might not come back.

*You* might not have heard the fire alarms, Chris, but the poor Germans certainly did.

Looks like the RFC are getting in much needed practice for the Doncaster Ace of Aces, been running 5 years and if I remember correctly the RFC have lost every year!

Surely 2019 will see a resurgence in RFC fortunes? Or not, but for that you'll have to wait until the end of September.

Neil

PS: Great day out chaps.

Forgot to add, will Mark make Doncaster this year?

Mark is hoping to get there... so fingers crossed he makes it

Nice roundup of the event Chris, thanks for that

"He is wise who watches"

Just read the AAR. Great summary of the game. Many thanks for sharing.

Bit late reading this one, but what a great report. Lots of fun had by all. And someone else having a collision with Tim's aircraft That makes a change Love that mat - that's very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Is That D.VII number 1,003 for Steffi’s Dad?

Can’t wait to see what he does with it.
    ????

Just sayin’ your repaints are always something to behold, Tim.

Oh, right.
    I thought you meant you knew Steffi's father - freaked me out a bit!

Lloyd George knew Steffi's farther. Steffie's farther knew Lloyd George.
    Kyte.

Similar Missions

1. March Work Bench 2019
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 03-29-2019, 17:00
  2. Hammerhead 2019 Saturday 2nd March
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 03-12-2019, 05:53
  3. WMMS 2016 March 13
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 58