Ares Games

Thread: FTL Jumps

Default FTL Jumps

In the section on Faster-Than-Light-Movement in the rulebook on page 30 it states," In game terms, an FTL jump enables a spaceship to move instantly to another point of the playing area, or to enter play directly at a chosen spot, if the spaceship does not begin the scenario play. An FTL jump can also be used to leave the playing area, with the same effect as exiting from a side." and later," A spaceship cannot use FTL in two consecutive turns, and it cannot use it more than twice in a game to jump from one spot in the playing area to another one.".

To me this seems to say that a spaceship with an FTL drive, not starting on the playing mat, can use it four times during the game, in non-consecutive turns: once to jump into play, twice within the playing area and once to jump out of play.

Another point: there is no mention of Engine Damage affecting the FTL drive. It seems to me that Engine Damage ought to disable the FTL drive. Obviously, I could make this a 'house rule' but an official clarification would be useful.

Yet to play our first complete rules game but does using FTL to place your ship say behind an asteroid field constitute your entire first turn or is that using FTL to select your starting point in the game?

I have played a few games with FTL.

The rules say a ship can make two jumps in a game. There is a statement about moving from one location to another on the board, but I still use the limitation of two jumps in a game, whether you arrive onto the play area, or leave the play area. Therefore, only two jumps in a game, no matter where you jump.

FTL drive is not mentioned in the current rules, so, I wouldn't impose any restriction on it because of combat damage. FTL drives are probably not the same parts that allow maneuver on the play area. When the Raptors show up, and have FTL capability, this might be to the Colonial player's advantage, as it might be to the Cylon's for now.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I have played a few games with FTL.

The rules say a ship can make two jumps in a game. There is a statement about moving from one location to another on the board, but I still use the limitation of two jumps in a game, whether you arrive onto the play area, or leave the play area. Therefore, only two jumps in a game, no matter where you jump.

FTL drive is not mentioned in the current rules, so, I wouldn't impose any restriction on it because of combat damage. FTL drives are probably not the same parts that allow maneuver on the play area. When the Raptors show up, and have FTL capability, this might be to the Colonial player's advantage, as it might be to the Cylon's for now.
    Went back and read the rules. I didn't actually consciously note the 'enter or depart play' part, just tried getting into the whole 'jump' process. Distressingly, opponents have used the jump option on the first turn to immediately pop in behind my Viper, firing at my butt at close range, though.

However, despite the wording in the part about jumping from point to point on the board, I think the designer's intent was 'two jumps per game', from/to anywhere. Writing rules to cover every contingency is tough, and doing it in a second language makes it even tougher.

Should any opponent wish to use FTL in a game, I would hold them to the two jump limit. That limitation might become more obvious if the Fuel tracking rules are applied, when someone has to use 15 fuel points per jump.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Yet to play our first complete rules game but does using FTL to place your ship say behind an asteroid field constitute your entire first turn or is that using FTL to select your starting point in the game?
    In between Revealing Control Panels and the First Movement Step, when announcing FTL, at any time (at the beginning of the game, or at the beginning of any turn) you indicate the location of appearance, and determine scatter. Then, the turn continues as normal, except that the Jumping ship can't shoot in the First Firing Step. If the Jumping Ship is moving three KE, or less, do the inertial movement in the First Movement Step. During the Second Movement Step, the Jumping ship will finish it's inertial move, if it was doing four or more KE. If possible, shooting can be done in the Second Firing Step.

Big Note:
    On breaking out of Jump, you roll for scatter, and then determine the distance of that scatter, up to six cms. The problem with this is you have about a 50 percent chance to be heading in the planned direction. If you don't roll 6, 7, or 8, you are going to head off in an undesired direction. If you are moving at KE 4+, you could end up heading off the play area, or as I did, drifted all the way through an asteroid field with my nose pointing in the wrong direction, taking collision damage all the way.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-04-2019 at 20:58.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    ....To me this seems to say that a spaceship with an FTL drive, not starting on the playing mat, can use it four times during the game, in non-consecutive turns: once to jump into play, twice within the playing area and once to jump out of play.
    I'd go with that as read David - it can be influenced by fuel limits agreed by players, or limits set by the scenario itself but a max of four otherwise I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Another point: there is no mention of Engine Damage affecting the FTL drive. It seems to me that Engine Damage ought to disable the FTL drive. Obviously, I could make this a 'house rule' but an official clarification would be useful.
    Interesting point but as not covered by the rules maybe not applicable. Both points are best clarified by Andrea - send him a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    The rules state: "After these steps are completed (referring to the FTL placement of model), the jumping spaceship executes the rest of its turn normally, except it cannot attack during the first firing step of the turn." so you use FTL to select your starting point in the game then complete your turn.

"He is wise who watches"

I posted my questions about FTL Jumps on the Ares Games Contact Us page.

This is the reply I received from Roberto Di Meglio.

"Dear David
    (1) yes, you are correct - a total of 4 times when applicable (in - two in-game jumps - out)
    (2) the FTL drive is a different item from the "normal" engine. So Engine damage does not affect the FTL jump (we are planning to create more detailed FTL rules in the future, so that may change, but at the moment, it's how it plays).
    Thanks!"

Well there you go, thanks for that David

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks David. Good to know it is as written!