Ares Games

Thread: Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 7 March 2019

Default Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 7 March 2019

We had eight players show up last night; BalticBob, Maryland Bill, Craig, Todd, Jim, Will, Bob and myself.

AAR #1 Dogfight Standard opening scenario with Todd flying an Udet Albatros D.III, Bob flying another Udet Albatros D.III (black with Lo! on side), Craig flying a Siemens-Schuckert D.III and I had a Aviatik D.I. The allies had Maryland Bill with a Nieuport N.28, Will with a Sopwith Snipe, Jim another Nieport N.28 and Baltic Bob flying a Shapeways Vickers F.B.19 from Columbia Aerodrome. Below is BBob's Vickers. It is 1/144 scale but is smaller than any other single seat fighter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0049.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	263957

In the very first exchange of gunfire, BBob is destroyed! We let me respawn against the edge of the Allies side of the map so it took him awhile to get back in the action.

Name:	IMG_0050.JPG 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	263958

Much wheeling around to get on the tail of an enemy airplane. BBob is streaking in from the right.

Name:	IMG_0051.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	263959

In simultaneous destruction, Craig and Maryland Bill go down. Now it is three to three.

Name:	IMG_0052.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	263960

Now Bob flying Udet's Albatros crashes to earth.

Name:	IMG_0053.JPG 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	263961

Will's Sopwith Snipe is the next to fall. Is it three pair or a four of a kind?

Name:	IMG_0054.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	263962

Baltic Bob dies a second time. A very interesting set of damage cards. The '2' was a +1.

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	263963

Jim inflicts fire damage on my Aviatik. My first fire damage card is a '5' which is enough to finish me off. Now each side has a single fighter left.

Name:	IMG_0056.JPG 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	263964

Jim streaks for the Allied side of the map, and Todd's Albatross is unable to catch the faster Nieuport 28. Todd exhibits very little damage, while Jim has a fine collection of goose eggs.

Name:	IMG_0057.JPG 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	263965
    So how many books are in your personal library?

AAR #2 - Ground Strafing I laid out a trench line with four trench cards, three A firing anti-aircraft guns, and an anti-aircraft artillery card behind the lines. I controlled the British ground forces with Todd and Jim flying Nieuport 28s in support. Everyone else flew Fokker D.VIIs. The German mission was to destroy as many of the ground cards as they could. Todd set up two Sopwith Camels to be used by the first two pilots (either side) to be shot down. They were to represent late arriving airplanes in support of the ground units.

Below Craig is pondering his first maneuvers as everyone else is getting ready.

Name:	IMG_0058.JPG 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	263971

Craig is the first pilot to be respawned before he even got close to the trench line.

Name:	IMG_0059.JPG 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	263972

I don't have a photograph of this, but Bob demonstrated a poor way to attack the trenches. He flew parallel to the line, but in front of it. His close attacks caused double card damage, but the anti-aircraft machine guns inflicted double damage in return. His the was the second pilot to be respawned. However he and Will have destroyed the left most trench segment and inflicted serious damage on the second one. Baltic Bob was wondering if the 'special damage only' from ground rifle fire includes the BOOM card. Yes, Bob, it does.

Name:	IMG_0060.JPG 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	263973

Meanwhile Maryland Bill flying the yellow tailed Fokker D.VII finally got in on the action on the far right side of the trench. He had to maneuver through the respawned Sopwith Camels before reaching the trenches. His first attack at close range resulted in a '1' and '4' which silenced that trench. His second close attack resulted in double '3's which silenced a second trench. Neither trench segment got off a shot. However the Sopwiths managed to close in and shoot him down.

Name:	IMG_0061.JPG 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	263975

Meanwhile Will had been executing some withering attacks from behind the trench lines. The AA machine guns couldn't get him, but the riflemen were giving it a go. One of Will's attacks hit a box of trench mortar ammunition. The resulting explosion was devastating to the Tommies. He inflicted one more attack to finish off the last segment of trench, before deciding to head for his one side of the map. Only the anti-aircraft artillery piece survived, but it took two damage points.

Name:	IMG_0062.JPG 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	263976

We may have to try this again in the future with some of the heavy artillery target cards included in the file section of the Aerodrome. Maybe a combination of bombing and strafing. Need to get some Junkers J.I or Hannover CL.III ground attack airplanes.
    Last edited by RJG173; 03-08-2019 at 14:24.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Another great night, that I missed...crud.

Well, transportation of my own has fallen into my lap, but there's been delay in getting it road-worthy. Maybe by next month.

Loved the Vickers and custom plane base. That explosion card has claimed many pilots in the first exchange of fire, good that you allowed him to re spawn too.

Thumbs up

Lots of Boom & much mayhem in that Game!

Super action shots!
    Thanks for sharing.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Baltic Bob's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Great pictures and a great evening!

Learned a lot - for example, never underestimate riflemen in a trench!

Looking forward to next month.

Two great AARs there Robert.
    Loved the laconic commentary.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thank you for the good after Action Reports, Robert. It sounds like you all had an exciting time!

Another lovely looking and action packed game.

Great AAR, thanks for sharing.

Similar Missions

1. Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 7 February 2019
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-12-2019, 04:31
  2. Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 3 January 2019
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-04-2019, 16:18
  3. Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 12 March '18