Ares Games

Thread: Finally...My First BIG One!

Default Finally...My First BIG One!

A couple weeks back I was fortunate enough to host a WoG scenario involving 10 early war planes (and a balloon)! I've never had so many before and, I must say, it was quite exhilarating ... just watching the action unfold. Sadly, I didn't have a camera so I was unable to record it. Fortunately, my co-host did snap a few with his phone and sent some shots for my enjoyment. They are of a truly critical moment in the contest and capture the intensity of the game.

The scenario was a French attempt to bust a German observation balloon. The balloon would begin to descend once a French aeroplane crossed the German trenchline. The Germans gained 1 Victory Point per full turn its observers occupied their basket. Six Moraine Saulniers (subject to limited ammo rules) came across in three separate pairs at level 4. The German's four Fokker Eiii's would enter (also in pairs) but dice for entry.

French Objective: Destroy the balloon before hauled down. Failing that, destroy or chase off the Fokkers.
    German Objective: Avoid the French victory conditions.

Two pair of "Bullets" lived up to their name making a bee-line for the target, from the north-west and the west (respectively), quickly crossing the the German lines. The other two flew south and and spent time climbing. Fortunately for the Germans, two Fokkers entered from the north-east to offer a warm reception. The balloon, began to descend.

The four Moraines dueled with the two Fokkers, ignoring their prey altogether.

Finally the other two Moraines crossed the trenches and shot up from the south-west as two of the previously engaged French planes, though they bloodied the noses of their adversaries, were downed. As the southerly Moraines closed on the balloon, the other pair of Fokkers entered the fight, diving down and setting one of the earlier "Bullets" alight. This is the point depicted in the attached images.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOG-20190216-WoG003.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	268.6 KB 
ID:	263708
    Overview of moment showing all planes (two down)

Name:	DOG-20190216-WoG005.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	263709
    Close-up showing attack on balloon

Name:	DOG-20190216-WoG002.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	263710
    Side view showing the diving Fokkers

It wasn't looking good for the French; 2 down, 1 burning, 1 wounded pilot trying to reload while 4 seemingly relentless Germans swooped in to clean the skies of them. Passing viewers who got sucked into watching the game commented on the visual impression of a disturbed beehive!

Then the remarkable happened, the machine guns of two Fokkers jammed ... AAAAND a "Bullet" which was unable to steer due to rudder damage (both right and left!) collided with a Fokker which, due to previous damage, fell apart in mid-air! The wounded Frenchman finally reloaded his gun and, with the aid of his two other compatriots, valiantly "duked it out" with their disadvantaged enemy. There was much smoke, lots of flames and further woundings. In the meantime, the observers had long abandoned their balloon and it DID make it to the ground, riddled but not destroyed.

In the end it was down to 1 Frenchman and 1 German ... then the sausage eater's plane exploded (!) and the Frenchman sang the Marseilles very loudly as he flew back home! I guess it's never "over" 'til it's OVER!

I apologize for my lack of images, but I hope the text gives you an idea of what the action was like. Next time I'll be sure to bring a camera! I'm CERTAINLY looking forward to hosting another "BIG" GAME!

A game like that is pretty ambitious. Hope the ambitions were fulfilled.

Cracking set of pictures, Mike!

Heavily weathered planes aren't my thing, but seeing lots of them together is a refreshing change!

I hope you get plenty of chances to indulge in more Big Games.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks for posting and commenting on your experience Mike.
    A good result for the Balloon busters even if it was only a temporary set back for the Hun observers.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Nice game. The weathering on your planes is beautiful. Look forward to more AARs of yours.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Ditto to what Peter says - great looking planes and lovely pics of the action! I, too, look forward to more reports from the Front...

All the best,
    Matt

Really good AAR. Magnificent paint job and loved the smoke markers. Well done.

Great stuff, looks like you had a brilliant time, as you said, don't forget the camera next time.

Nice AAR.

Where did the ligt blue pegs come from btw?

Thumbs up

That looked like a LOT of Fun!

Looks quite a clash of arms Mike, the pics are great & the narrative gives it substance

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thanks for your synopsis of the battle. The big battles can be awesome to watch as there is generally so much going on.

Firstly great looking set up, painting job on aircraft magnificent. Well done. REP inbound.

Secondly, why are you not playing in the Daring Young Men campaign? Shame, not too late.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Hi Sam,

Considering that this was the first flight for 5 of the players, I'd say the ambitions were MORE than realized. I'm continually impressed with how quickly people pick up on the nuances of this game.

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    Nice AAR.

Where did the ligt blue pegs come from btw?
    I got them from a company called Battle Tree. They work perfectly with my advanced altitude home rules.

Sadly, it seems they may have gone out of business. I didn't realize this when I'd recommended them to my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by BellMW54 View Post
    I got them from a company called Battle Tree. They work perfectly with my advanced altitude home rules. Sadly, it seems they may have gone out of business. I didn't realize this when I'd recommended them to my friends.
    Bummer. Well it happwns. I recommended my Pro Gamematz mat here on site and it turned out they stopped making it. Maybe someone else will pick up the idea.

Similar Missions

1. They're here FINALLY!!!
    By Setarius in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-26-2018, 08:40
  2. Finally!!
    By Barkmann in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-27-2014, 18:35
  3. Finally did it !!!!
    By Willi Von Klugermann in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11