Ares Games

Thread: No Wargames Show at Bovington This Year... 2019

Default No Wargames Show at Bovington This Year... 2019

Sad news for those of us in the south -

Battlegroup South's Wargames Show at the Tank Museum Bovington - has been cancelled.

Richard Harris, the organiser behind this show posted this on the Battlegroup South Wargamers FB page:

Yes, very sorry, but it’s official!! I know the show has always had a bit of a reputation for being on and off, but I was hoping to run it again this year.
    At my first meeting with the Tank Museum this year it was agreed that the show would go on again, and my parting words were ‘the same terms as last year’ but sadly when these were given I have been unable to agree to the terms for running the show.
    The key changed points were that the museum wished to run the internal café. We were also not permitted to use the fields: so no camping and no party. We were only allowed the use of the museum during standard opening hours, but I could hire the museum for additional hours, with additional charges.
    I believe the museum thinks I made a lot more money out of the show than was actually the case, and it is with sad regret that I felt that the show would have gone through too many changes and would become a financial liability, as I am now officially a pensioner I made the decision to close the show.
    I would like to thank all my traders, gamer's and visitors who have supported the show over the past nineteen years. Indeed, we did just about make twenty if you count the years that we were part of the Model Expo. But of course I don’t work on my own and I couldn’t have done it without the support and hard work of the Battlegroup South Team, who have supported the show and myself since the start, and to them goes my biggest thanks of all.
    All I have to say is "Bugger".

Lets hope someone else can step in and take this one on some day...
    I have just spoken with a man that might... but not this year.
    Last edited by flash; 03-03-2019 at 02:53.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Shameto hear this

That’s a pity, I enjoyed it last year. Not the first show to have folded because a venue got greedy, unfortunately.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

It is a shame. I will miss that venue.

Mind you, the utter "Jobsworths" who seemed to enjoy making life difficult for demonstrators/re-enactors/helpers (ie everyone but the paying public) will not be missed.
    They were even worse than the ones @ the N.E.C., and that's quite an achievement!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Alas a not-uncommon occurrence when money minded people are in charge of decisions (I say "money minded" as often they are actually clueless). I've been in a similar situation with an event at a museum in one of their side rooms, we didn't charge for entry to our event so the first few years we had the room for free and it brought in extra visitors to the museum. Then they charged us a couple of hundred for the room and then a few years later they raised it to 500 - at which point we dropped the event and moved to somewhere else that (a) let us use a room for free and (b) enjoyed the extra paying visitors that now weren't going to the first one. Short sighted and one that, speaking to a friend at the first museum, was down to the finance team who thought we were making money (despite being told we weren't) and so they wanted a piece of the action. Now over that weekend they are hundreds of pounds down on days when the museum is really quiet. Their loss.

Why is it that the bean counters always get it so wrong. The chance to make a quick buck, and no foresight to the future until it is too late and the goose is dead. No profit for you then Bovington, and probably fewer visitors for the rest of the year too, because the people who would have been at the show now won't either re visit with the family nor be able to tell others how good the exibits aer to visit.
    Sorry you lost a venue down South again. With T ripples, and The World Championships both going under recently we are feeling it up here too.
    Hope this trend does not continue.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    ...Hope this trend does not continue..
    Speaking with Richard in the past he told me he made his money on the tea room & the camping so without that it wasn't viable to him. I understand there was also a personality clash between the organisers & the museum which didn't help the situation.
    It's a sad loss but there is hope Rob. It may be back on next year in a one day format with new organisers if negotiations go well - I will keep you posted.

Oh dear! That's a good show too! What a pity Hope your negotiations go well Dave!

What a shame. I had planned to pay the show a visit but it obviously not meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Oh dear! That's a good show too! What a pity Hope your negotiations go well Dave!
    Not me sir but we were at his show not long ago. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Exclamation It’s back on chaps!

Apparently there is a 1day show on July 13th. Any clubs wishing to put on a game should contact the organiser s.meecham@talktalk.net

Well I'm up for it. Who will contact them? Happy to oblige but do not wish to tread on anyones toes. So will await the replies of others
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 03-31-2019 at 05:30.

I've put this one in the diary and I am happy to contact the organiser if nobody else wants to. But before I do, is anyone else up for this one day event? I'm assuming I'll need to know numbers and names for wrist bands.

I might be able to help, but don't know for certain just yet.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I should be able to make that Mike, I will contact Ajay to see if he's interested.

Any further news on this? Would love to do this one

OK - I just sent in a request for a 5' x 8' table for a WWI participation game. I've said that hopefully there will be four Aerodrome members involved, (therefore want a minimum of four wrist bands) and I've already had a partial commitment (subject to the usual issues that might get in the way - like work - Yuk!!!!) from three other members. I should point out that Yon, my wife, is due for a hip replacement on 4th July (yes, independance day, I know ) but has kindly said she'll pull in a friend to take over my duty of care for the day But I must add that if her date is changed and my services are therefore required by her side, then I would pull out of the event forthwith So please, somebody, be prepared to take over. Otherwise I am happy to provide all necessary kit on the day unless someone else is dying to do so

In the diary Mike - will look forward to it.

Nice one Mike, I can cover should you have to pull out.

Cheers guys. I had an e mail back from Stewart Meecham, the organizer, requesting my address to send a booking form. So this may take a few days before it is confirmed. But so far so good

Fingers crossed guys, nice rescue

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

OK all - there's good news and there is bad news. The good news is - I only have to fill in two forms: one with my name and that of the drome, brief details of the game we put on and a table size request; the other a "Trader/ Exhibitor risk assessment" form which states that 1. All "staff involved have been advised over manual handling good practice and are capable of setting up our stand unassisted and without excessive excursion (yes, it says excursion!!) 2. Any combustible materials on the stand which could promote fire spread beyond the point of ignition such as paper/cardboard, bottled LPG etc have been identified and reasonable measures have been carried out to reduce the risk of them being involved in an incident. 3. All aspects of the stand are secure when displayed and covered by a manufacturer's warrenty and / or safety certificate. Copies of this document will be available to view during the event. (I assume this doesn't apply as we shall use their tables.) 4. All items for sale blah blah ....ok doesn't apply to us. 5. Ditto 4, only about prohibited stock items. 6. This does not apply either as it is about required PAT testing on equipment requiring electricity. 7. I have sufficient bin bags for refuse and will leave my pitch space as found, Please note museum bins not to be used to discard our rubbish There then follows a table to complete in order to note any further risks associated with our table e.g it falling over and the level of risk associated with it.

And that's the good news

Now the bad news - which I am assured is beyond the control of the organizer - only two free tickets can be issued per game. Any additional "staff" must pay to get in at the normal museum entrance ticket rate.

OK guys - on that basis, who is in and do you want me to proceed? I am prepared to fill in this risk assessment and provide all the kit including a bin bag and therefore want one of the tickets. But personally I don't think this is a two man job - it needs four (happy to accept this may be wrong), otherwise it would mean long hours with no break. So, if anyone just happens to have a season ticket, that would help, otherwise two folk need to agree to pay and one to have the remaining ticket. Unless we all share the cost of the extra two tickets.

Feedback appreciated Chau for now.

Dave / Steve, would it be an idea to change the title of this thread, or perhaps move it to one which indicates that Bovington is now on? If so, can anyone oblige please?

I'm in Mike, happy to pay/chip in for ticket as you need me to.

Mike, I don’t have the wherewithal to make any changes. Presumably Dave can as he started the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Dave / Steve, would it be an idea to change the title of this thread, or perhaps move it to one which indicates that Bovington is now on? If so, can anyone oblige please?
    As I said in my PM Mike - you'll need to start a new thread for this with all the details.

I'm in Mike, happy to pay/chip in for ticket as you need me to.
    Thanks Rob. I'm sure we can work something out

As I said in my PM Mike - you'll need to start a new thread for this with all the details.
    Yes of course you did Dave - sorry - another senior moment brought on by a painful toe
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 04-11-2019 at 04:22.

I'll close this thread as it's now redundant

See this thread - Bovi 2019 is on under new management

Similar Missions

1. South England Battlegroup South, Bovington Tank Museum Wargamers Show 2018
    By flash in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-16-2018, 12:49
  2. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 07-07-2017, 04:27
  3. South England Bovington Show - Battlegroup South July 2 / 3 2016
    By Mickowenuk in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2016, 23:37
  4. South England Bovington show this weekend.
    By decapod in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 03:51
  5. Derby Wargames show 1 & 2 Oct 2011
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 12:47