Ares Games

Thread: Magnetized ball bearing system

Users Country Flag

Name
    Iņigo
    Sorties Flown

Default Magnetized ball bearing system

Best regards...
    Just received from AliExpress those magnetized ball bearing system for 3D Delta System printers.
    The idea is use them for flight stands, included 1/72 scale planes.
    Base of bearing are magnetized and magnetic balls are threaded with a metric piece. Then are suplied plastic tubes to use as flight stands.
    Here is the link
    https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...Id=32960271704
    3DP-P020 Carbon Diagonal push Rods Arms Kit with Magnetic Ball Joint & Steel Ball

Suitable for:Set of six diagonal rods for mini 3D printer, magnetic joints
    Length of the Push Rod Arm plus connecting balls : approx. 218mm (measured end to end)
    Weigh per rod : approx. 0.005 kg/pc
    weigh per rod with 2 steel ball ends and set screws : approx. 0.015kg/pc

Package included :
    6pcs x Diagonal push Rods Arms (ID: 4mm, OD:6mm, Length: 200mm) (please allow +/- 0.05mm)
    12 pcs x Steel Ball for Magnetic ball joint (Dia: 10mm with M4 Thread)
    12 pcs x Magnetic Ball Joint (Dia. : 12mm)
    12 pcs x M4 x 20mm Set Screw
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HTB1I1DFX6zuK1RjSsppq6xz0XXah.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	263513
    Balls received are not chromed but will not a real trouble...the important thing is will have 6 Dof ( Degrees of Freedom) behind my planes, at low cost and will be for 12 planes!!!!
    Regards.
    Inigohe

That should get the job done Iņigo.
    I went with Herr Oberst's gimbal mounts using this mounting method:

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Haven't done that yet, but have to say Dave, that looks like the winning format for me, means you don't have to chop bits off your models

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by INIGOHE3 View Post
    Best regards...
    Just received from AliExpress those magnetized ball bearing system for 3D Delta System printers.
    The idea is use them for flight stands, included 1/72 scale planes.
    Base of bearing are magnetized and magnetic balls are threaded with a metric piece. Then are suplied plastic tubes to use as flight stands.
    Here is the link
    https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...Id=32960271704
    3DP-P020 Carbon Diagonal push Rods Arms Kit with Magnetic Ball Joint & Steel Ball

Suitable for:Set of six diagonal rods for mini 3D printer, magnetic joints
    Length of the Push Rod Arm plus connecting balls : approx. 218mm (measured end to end)
    Weigh per rod : approx. 0.005 kg/pc
    weigh per rod with 2 steel ball ends and set screws : approx. 0.015kg/pc

Package included :
    6pcs x Diagonal push Rods Arms (ID: 4mm, OD:6mm, Length: 200mm) (please allow +/- 0.05mm)
    12 pcs x Steel Ball for Magnetic ball joint (Dia: 10mm with M4 Thread)
    12 pcs x Magnetic Ball Joint (Dia. : 12mm)
    12 pcs x M4 x 20mm Set Screw

Name:	HTB1I1DFX6zuK1RjSsppq6xz0XXah.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	263513
    Balls received are not chromed but will not a real trouble...the important thing is will have 6 Dof ( Degrees of Freedom) behind my planes, at low cost and will be for 12 planes!!!!
    Regards.
    Inigohe
    Pics, please! I was looking for drilled (magnetic) steel balls for ages. So now you can clue the magnet on a standard WoG peg and put the peg of the plane directly in the steel ball?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Iņigo
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Karo7 View Post
    Pics, please! I was looking for drilled (magnetic) steel balls for ages. So now you can clue the magnet on a standard WoG peg and put the peg of the plane directly in the steel ball?
    Hi..
    As I said Balls are not magnetized... Just the washer shape are mag!!!
    Then you can place those washers under the fuselaje and the Balls on the flight stand.
    Regards inigohe

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Haven't done that yet, but have to say Dave, that looks like the winning format for me, means you don't have to chop bits off your models
    That was one reason I went with it Chris, that and you don't have to 'fix' every model you own - I did ten and that's usually enough for any game I play but may expand that soon. Here's BryanR's 2010 thread that I followed to do it:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ethod-(Detail)
    I don't rough up the ball, if it gets slippy I coat it with super glue, let it dry & that provides a little purchase. Herr Oberst puts eraser filings into the middle of the ring magnet to achieve the same I believe.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I also use the super glue method Dave and find it very successful.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Interesting looking system. The metal balls look like something that can be adapted to the ARES planes. Is the site you posted a shopping site? when I click on the like it goes to a log in page. What is the company that makes the balls rather then go on a shopping site?

inigohe that looks like a promising idea. Thanks for posting. Do you have a picture of how you set it up. I've done the same as Dave using a 5mm ball bearing but I find there's a bit more slippage than I would like and was wondering about using a larger ball bearing.

As Bob said your link goes to a log in page not to the actual item.

The washer magnet id is not quoted, is this the same size as the peg on the Ares planes? If so it looks very promising indeed.

Did you cut the plastic tube into pieces and join them with the setscrews to get a variable hight rod?

Here are two ways I mount my planes. none are Ares models but 1/144 and AIM.

Name:	DCP_6940.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	263601
    This is the 1/144 model. I used LITKO bases and rods. On top of the rod is a magnetic ring. The ball bearing is glued to a hole I drill in the model and as you see swivels in the magnetic ring.

Name:	IMG_8179.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	263602
    This is an AIM model. They come with a screw in the bottom so I superglue a bearing to that. The base is an OMNI base by CORSEC Engineering. They have a complete system for all their bases. The rods are metal and have screw at both ends. One end would screw into the base and they have toppers for the other end. I have the flat top topper that I glue a magnetic ring to that the bearing attached to the plane swivels in.

I have the CORSEC system too and they are good. I have both the flat top and ball type magnetic post toppers. I glued a small nut onto the Ares peg under the plane and I can use both topper types.

Just got my ball type toppers. Have to see how they work.

Similar Missions

1. FIRE & SMOKE markers magnetized tutorial
    By Antabires in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-10-2013, 16:41
  2. Good ways of roughing up the bearing on a Gimbal mount?
    By James Denberger in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 16:11
  3. WWI system vs WWII system question????
    By Propjockey53 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 14:14
  4. Albert Ball V.C.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-21-2010, 06:26