Ares Games

Thread: Escape plan

Default Escape plan

Having been incarcerated in Germany for a considerable time my escape plan has slowly taken shape and the tunnel is being dug. It will take a couple of months hard work to tunnel under the wire so that my exit is outside the PoW camp. Wouldn't want to come up under one of the guard towers with Fritz standing over me now would I? Once outside I have 'friends' waiting to whisk me away into hiding until such time as they can spirit me away from the area so that I can begin my transit through the low countries to the French coast. A short boat ride and I can once again set foot on the dark, rich soil of blighty!

Joking aside, I move back to the UK in a few months and will be looking to get some gaming in, something that has been in short supply for quite a while. I will be North West of Nottingham, 15 mins away from Hucknall, close to the Notts/Derbys border. Anyone around that area wanting a game or 2, or know of clubs around there?

Many thanks for your help.

Flying Officer Kyte lives in Nottinghamshire, so he should be able to help you.

Hi Adie, there is a wargaming club in Allenton, a southern suburb of Derby where we play WoG some weeks, a group of us meet up for various Flight based games from WWI up to 60s/70s jet stuff.
    We also do tanky stuff and some sci-fi or D&D, so a broad range, and we're always open to new stuff.
    Its about 25 mins from J26 M1.

Lest we forget

Captain Kiwi is about the closest to your new abode Adie. His club at Mansfield are a very friendly lot.
    Drop him a PM. I'm sure he and I plus Gary who also lives up there will be able to sport a few games.
    I have a game at the Kiwi residence every two months but it is usually a weekday in the morning/ afternoon so may not suit you. Let me know when you move and I will change your status to Nottinghamshire Flight.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    Hi Adie, there is a wargaming club in Allenton, a southern suburb of Derby where we play WoG some weeks, a group of us meet up for various Flight based games from WWI up to 60s/70s jet stuff.
    We also do tanky stuff and some sci-fi or D&D, so a broad range, and we're always open to new stuff.
    Its about 25 mins from J26 M1.
    Thanks John - I will keep it in mind but think F.O. Kyte's flight, & friends, in Mansfield are a bit closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Captain Kiwi is about the closest to your new abode Adie. His club at Mansfield are a very friendly lot.
    Drop him a PM. I'm sure he and I plus Gary who also lives up there will be able to sport a few games.
    I have a game at the Kiwi residence every two months but it is usually a weekday in the morning/ afternoon so may not suit you. Let me know when you move and I will change your status to Nottinghamshire Flight.
    Rob.
    Rob, many thanks. I will drop Capt Kiwi a PM as suggested and let you all know once I am on my way back to blighty.

We must also meet up for a beer sometime.
    There is also of course our Doncaster Air Museum weekend in the last weekend of September.
    rob.

Rob,

I am up for that beer at some point.

Adie.

Never fear old chap that will happen along with a few G&t if I have anything to do with it.
    Rob.

My ears were burning, have I been summoned?

I'm certainly happy to partake in a few games in the near future!

Great stuff - thanks everyone. Good to know that there will be opportunities to get some gaming in once I am back.

Don’t forget there are several gaming shows in Newark over the course of the year, starting with tomorrow, which usually have a turn out from esteemed pilots herewith assembled (see ‘Hammerhead ‘ and ‘Partizan’ threads)

Many thanks for all of the offers for games but the DCOS (Domestic Chief of Staff) managed to scupper my escape plans by finding a job in Belgium of all places. With that, the underground route to blighty was changed and we were released just outside Mons. It looks like I will now have to make my own way, on Shanks's pony, to our own lines so that I can, hopefully, fly again.

Toodle Pip for now chaps & I will hopefully see you in the Mess soon.

Lots of pilots in Belgium and the Netherlands that could spot you a game. Lovely chaps that can accommodate English, if that is necessary.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Hmmm...

Escape plans, and tunnels. As it happens, the Comox Air Force Museum is the custodian of the Colwell Diary. F/L John Colwell was shot down over Germany, ending up in Stalag Luft III. Anybody hear of a movie called, 'The Great Escape'? John's diary was used as a reference for that movie, being a detailed, illustrated account of his time in that prison camp.

The current display podium with the diary, and the page-protected copy:
    Name:  IMG_20191106_114807.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  176.5 KB

Close-up of the tunnel drawing:
    Name:  IMG_20191106_114826.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  150.3 KB

Friday, I will post an image of the new podium being constructed, with the full-scale replica of the tunnel. That tunnel is small!
    Mike

Hmmm... new card possibility: Thread Hijacker.
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. The Dambusters Great Escape
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-31-2017, 21:33
  2. AAR Escape from Antwerp.
    By Roger Wilco in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-29-2017, 04:26
  3. The Great Escape
    By flash in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15