Ares Games

Thread: Exupeiry's plane(s)

Question Exupeiry's plane(s)

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry joined Armée de l'Air and become a reconnaissance pilot (becouse he was a pacifist). I read many articles about him and his last flight with P-38 Lighting above the Mediterranean Sea, but I have never been read something about his reconnaissance career and about plane with which he was flewing in 1940.
    Do anyone know something about this part of his life? And about that french plane? Thank you for your answers, I am pretty sure you know the truth

Users Country Flag

Name
    William "Jack"
    Sorties Flown

I know that the P-38 was used as a recon aircraft (the F4 and F5), and the U.S. Eighth Air Force used them for photo recon even after switching to the P-51. Was he flying for the French in 1940, or was he a civilian?

Quote Originally Posted by JackalWSU3 View Post
    Was he flying for the French in 1940, or was he a civilian?
    He was flying for France - he was pacifist, but patriot too. He was written a beautiful book "War pilot" (Pilot de guerre) about his experience from the Battle of France. I advice it to every fan of planes and flying in this era.

Users Country Flag

Name
    William "Jack"
    Sorties Flown

Maybe a Morane-Saulnier M.S.406, which I'm fairly sure had a recon variant, or maybe a Dewoitine D.520. The Free French forces used the F5 (the P-38 recon i mentioned above), which is most likely what he crashed in.

Thumbs up Exupeiry's plane(s)

Daniel!

I did some research and found out he flew the Bloch MB.174 in 1940. His book Flight to Arras is based on missions flown in the MB. 174.

rich

http://www.century-of-flight.net/Avi...%20M.B.174.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gmb174.jpg  

That is exactly what I want to know! Thank you Richard, I can not found the right answer, but for you it was piece of cake

Daniel!

Glad to be of service! Now you need Max to make you a card for a Bloch MB.174!

Rich

Yup! Answering the call of duty:

What? What?? WHAT??? :eek2: Guys, I have a serious problem... I played WWI, but now, I must start with WWII! Where is the nearest bank? I need money... Big bag of money...
    Oh yeah, I am in heaven...

Daniel!

Max does great work on his cards! Ease into DOW slowly with that great card you can do France 40 using the Basic set!

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    William "Jack"
    Sorties Flown

Ask and ye shall receive, Dan! Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Daniel!

Glad to be of service! Now you need Max to make you a card for a Bloch MB.174!

Rich
    Hello , this post is old enough, but I try my luck , is this card on St Exupery Bloch MB174 been realized?
    I am very interested
    Thank you in advance

Bruno

Huh, pretty old thread I don't have the card saved, but hope it would be possible to re-release (Keith, the administrator?). Or there are others who can create a superb cards (Mike OldGuy59 for example). We'll see, this is an interesting part of aviation history.

Karl (Jager) has saved Max's cards -
    and look here for the Bloch: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/al...p?albumid=2876

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks a lot , you 're great !
    Bruno

Bruno; please be aware that the card was done by Max Headroom when all we had was the cards; I haven't done the stats for this plane yet.
    Let me take a look at it next week, and see what I can come up with.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Hello Karl , forgive my eagerness and my joy, I believe that after verification actually the chosen deck does not look good ?
    Because his aircraft is handy and one of the fastest of its category from the beginning of the second world war, unfortunately only a few were built (about 50).
    During St Exupery's first flight with the MB 174 he wrote the book " Fly to Arras" about his adventure , it was very fast and probably the best reconnaissance aircraft of its category (very few were shot down just 3 ) it was directed by Marcel Dassault , ( which was called Marcel Bloch in 1940) :The man who gave to France in the future : Ouragan ,Mirage, Rafale

Thanks a lot , I'm going to wait

Bruno

Edit : https://www.passionair1940.fr/Armee%...loch-MB174.htm
    Last edited by Spad VII; 10-06-2019 at 15:29.

Here you go:
    Deck: M
    Hits: 23
    Guns: Forward fixed: A/A. Dorsal gun: standard rear arc. A/A
    Ceiling: 12
    Climb: 4
    Note: the 3 aft firing guns mentioned are for ground strafing only; no effect on aircraft.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Here you go:
    Deck: M
    Hits: 23
    Guns: Forward fixed: A/A. Dorsal gun: standard rear arc. A/A
    Ceiling: 12
    Climb: 4
    Note: the 3 aft firing guns mentioned are for ground strafing only; no effect on aircraft.

Karl
    Karl thank you and thank you again

Should be known from the card, but use a heavy fighter base.
    Karl

Ok !