Ares Games

Thread: Mini-game convention time again

Default Mini-game convention time again

I've talked to Eric Englemann, the organizer of the Congress of Gamers game convention. and I have the go-ahead to run a Wings of Glory game at the Spring session (CoG has now expanded to four sessions a year). 13-14 April, 2019, in my neck of the woods (Rockville, MD) The website is: http://emsps.com/cog/spring/

The idea this time is to go with a mini-campaign; therefore, two days of WGF, in which the results on Saturday will effect the start of the game on Sunday. As of this writing, I am still working out the final details, so just the basic outline ATM.

Who might be in for this?

Looks like I'm going to change the format of the game, due to most likely hosting a Diplomacy game one of the two days.

Still hosting a Wings game, don't mistake; but I'll be doing it as a one-off game, rather than two-day mini-campaign.

And after more discussion with Eric, and the recent raffle #3, I have finalized the game:
    I'm going to be running a WGF set in Bloody April at the upcoming Congress of Gamers Spring session.
    Sunday, 14 April, starting at 1100, running for 3 hours, in Rockville Maryland.
    Convention schedule herer: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...v8Q/edit#gid=0
    Convention general information, including dates, registration cost, location here: http://emsps.com/cog/spring/

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    And after more discussion with Eric, and the recent raffle #3, I have finalized the game:
    I'm going to be running a WGF set in Bloody April at the upcoming Congress of Gamers Spring session.
    Sunday, 14 April, starting at 1100, running for 3 hours, in Rockville Maryland.
    Convention schedule herer: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...v8Q/edit#gid=0
    Convention general information, including dates, registration cost, location here: http://emsps.com/cog/spring/
    Sam,
    When you put the planes on the table, consider giving Otto Brauneck something other than 'Balloon Buster' as a skill, if you are only dogfighting. I gave that skill to Otto, as he had shot down four balloon of the seven victories he had as of early April 1917.

More historical, but perhaps not useful in dogfights. I'm planning to substitute it for 'Bullet Checker' on the table in Prague.

Hope this is a blast. And as mentioned in the Raffle thread, if your planes are on a table Saturday afternoon, it would be too cool.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59
    Sam,
    When you put the planes on the table, consider giving Otto Brauneck something other than 'Balloon Buster' as a skill, if you are only dogfighting. I gave that skill to Otto, as he had shot down four balloon of the seven victories he had as of early April 1917.

More historical, but perhaps not useful in dogfights. I'm planning to substitute it for 'Bullet Checker' on the table in Prague.
    Thanks for the note: it does make more sense in this context.

Last call.

Hope to see people Sunday.

Safe journeys to everyone and have a good time tomorrow.

How did the game(s) go?

Vimy Ridge Recon flew at 5:30 TO 7:00 PM (CEST) hours in Prague. That would have been 9:30 to 11:00 AM (EDT) in Maryland.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Only one person showed up for the Wings Games at CoG. But he was new, so I got to introduce a new player tot he game, and he seemed to enjoy himself with the game, so certainly worthwhile. I don't have the photos downloaded off my phone yet, but I'll post the photo summary when I can, hopefully later today.

Oh, and I read your summary of the Vimy Ridge scenario: ironically, the two aircraft we ended up with were Richthofen vs Ball.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2017, 21:13
  2. WWI game at the Guns of Ausust Convention in Williamsburg,VA this weekend
    By Albert Ross in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-31-2016, 18:22
  3. Thinking of running a convention game, some questions.
    By dougredshirt in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 17:29
  4. Game On! convention in Issaquah, Washington
    By BobRoberts in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 13:55
  5. Illinois: Rock-Con 2012 Game Convention
    By crashx in forum US Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 10:57