Ares Games

Thread: OTT Daring Young Men Mission 2, 14th January 1916, Coming and Going

Default OTT Daring Young Men Mission 2, 14th January 1916, Coming and Going

OTT DYM Mission 2 – 14 January 1916, Coming and Going

“What the hell was all that racket outside?”
    “It’s a Frenchman, Uncle. Just came in and made a bit of a messy landing. Seems he was badly wounded during a fight with one of those bombers the hun have been sending over recently, so dropped in to see us for some medical attention.”
    “Aah, right Mick. I assume he’s been shipped off to the medics pretty sharpish then, has he?”
    “He has indeed, poor chap. Not in a good way at all!”
    “What about his aircraft? What is it and what sort of shape is it in?”
    “Well now. There’s the thing. It’s one of those rather nice looking Nieuports the French have. I saw one quite recently when I was up at Saint-Omer looking around. It was being shipped off to our navy boys, but I got a quick once over before it flew off. Nice machine. And this one is hardly scratched, apart from the cockpit being rather beaten about. But that can be fixed in short order I imagine. What do you think? Should we call up our allies and ask them to fetch it or what?”
    “Oh Lt Taker, I think we’ll just test it out first, don’t you agree? See what we think of it. If we like it, I think we’ll look after it until its pilot has fully recovered. If not we’ll tell the French to come and haul it away. Why don’t you taker her up tomorrow and give her a good run around, assuming the Ack Emmas can fix her up in time!”

So it was that the following morning Lt Mick E Taker found himself at the controls of an unfamiliar bus. A Nieuport 10, normally reserved for French pilots or ours in the RNAS. Flying with his wingman for the day, a Canadian by the name of 2nd Lt Phil U R Boots, he decided that he wouldn’t risk going across the lines, but instead flew a patrol just west of the allied trenches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	263200 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 1a.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	236.7 KB 
ID:	263201

They were about to make their way back to the barn when he noticed Boots waggling his wings furiously and pointing further to the west. A series of explosions at ground level showed where somebody was up to mischief. Sure enough, a large aircraft appeared above the smoke and flames dotting the town below. It looked like another Gotha raid was under way. So he signed to Boots, flying a Morane-Saulnier Type L, that he intended to attack and off they went in pursuit.

Name:	DYM 2 2.jpg 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	263202

Obltn Hermann Lux, piloting the Gotha G1, was well satisfied with the achievement of his mission. The target below had been reported as being a forward storage point for munitions, but by the looks of the explosions and fires below, that was incorrect. Never the less, they had undoubtedly hit something that resembled a factory building, so he had the feeling they had been pretty successful.

Then he spotted the incoming enemy aircraft, off to starboard. They had to be the enemy, as none of his own side’s monoplanes were permitted over enemy territory, and one of the two aircraft he could see was definitely a mono plane.

His observers, Ltns Albert Mendel and Wilhelm Kummets, had already spotted the incoming threat and were readying their machine guns. A quick burst of fire from each confirmed there were no jams at this point. He hoped there would be none later either.

Name:	DYM 2 3.jpg 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	263203 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 4.jpg 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	263204

The two RFC aircraft came buzzing in like a couple of hornets, the Nieuport on the port side of the Morane.

Name:	DYM 2 5.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	263205 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 6.jpg 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	263206

So the big Gotha broke left.

Name:	DYM 2 7.jpg 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	263207 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 8.jpg 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	263208

Not wishing to confront the big bird head on, Lt Taker decided to try and get behind his foe. But the Canadian, flying the Morane, was not one to hang around and charged straight in on his enemy’s flank.

Name:	DYM 2 9.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	263209 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 10.jpg 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	263210

Straight into a hail of bullets, from two machine guns, that stitched his machine neatly. Had it not been for the fact that one of the enemy guns jammed almost immediately, he would have been in even more serious trouble. As it was, his engine coughed as badly as a thirty a day smoker and signaled the end of his morning’s work. That and his own gun jammed without doing one tiny bit of damage to the hun.

Name:	DYM 2 11.jpg 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	263211 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 12.jpg 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	263212

Name:	DYM 2 13.jpg 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	263213 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 14.jpg 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	263214

He dived away, but not before the remaining hun machine gun gave him even more to think about, damaging his right rudder controls into the bargain. At which point, Mick Taker, who had decided to abandon any idea of a more cautious approach, came to his rescue by distracting the German observer. Taker missed, at long range, but was himself hit as he flew in towards his target. Then again from another burst of hun fire at long range. Both he and his enemy had found the range and were doing a lot of damage to one another.

Name:	DYM 2 15.jpg 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	263215 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 17.jpg 
Size:	267.8 KB 
ID:	263216

Then disaster struck Lt Taker. Just as he thought he’d got his quarry cornered, another furious burst of fire in both directions almost destroyed both assailants. It inflicted serious damage to the Gotha, including taking out one of the observers, but it also resulted in a hit on something vital on his own aircraft. The little Nieuport burst into flames and despite his best efforts to continue the chase, swerving from side to side in an effort to put out the flames, there was no reprive this time. The fire had caught hold and would not relent. The Nieuport and Lt Taker with it, spiralled downwards from the sky towards the earth below!

Name:	DYM 2 18.jpg 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	263217 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 19.jpg 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	263218

As 2nd Lt Phil Boots struggled towards safety, with his engine in the throes of dying, Lt Taker plunged earthwards flailing his arms fruitlessly at the flames, shouting and cursing his bad luck.

And that was that!

Name:	DYM 2 20.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	263219 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 21.jpg 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	263220

Name:	DYM 2 22.jpg 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	263221 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 23.jpg 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	263222

It left the Gotha and its crew free to limp back to safety and some much needed medical attention for Ltn Wilhelm Kummets. As for the other observer aboard the Gotha, Ltn Albert Mendal had just shot down his first enemy aircraft. There would be a celebration in their mess tonight!

Later that afternoon at the Bulldogs aerodrome.

“Any luck Jo?” Uncle asked of F/Sgt Jo Lee, one of the rookie pilots who had recently joined the squadron.
    “Ran into a couple of hun, sir.” The flight sergeant hadn’t yet managed to get used to the idea of using familiar names with officers! “But no luck I’m afraid. The old “Gunbus” just isn’t fast enough I’m afraid.
    “Saw them both when I was on the lookout for Lt Taker. Reckon the two of them were scouting the area where that bomber was operating this morning.”
    “More than likely” mused uncle, whilst puffing away on his pipe. The smoke filled the little office and although the smell was pleasant enough, Lee wasn’t altogether happy about it, being a non-smoker himself.
    “So what happened Jo? Keep it brief if you please.”
    “Yes, sir! But do you mind if I ask, first, if there is any news of the Lieutenant?”
    “Oh, yes, there is. He made it back ok. The air was blue for a while and his clothes were black. He had an awful scare, and has a few burns here and there too. But he seemed more upset by the fact the Gotha got away. He swears he was certain the thing was badly beaten up. I’ve grounded him for a day or two to recover from the burns and the shock. Nothing too serious I believe.
    “Now then, that report.”

The F/Sgt and his observer, AM2 Walter Lewis, had been sent up to look for the missing Nieuport, mainly because the French had been in contact wondering where their pilot was and what had happened to their aircraft – oops!
    Anyhow, they had reached the area where 2nd Lt Boots had indicated there had been a run in with a Gotha, and were looking for the missing Nieuport, when along came a pair of huns. A two seater, which he had identified as an LVG, and a monoplane. A Pfalz he thought.

Name:	DYM 2 24.jpg 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	263223 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 25.jpg 
Size:	251.9 KB 
ID:	263224

He immediately attacked the two seater head on, hoping the enemy only had the one rear facing machine gun.

Name:	DYM 2 26.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	263225 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 27.jpg 
Size:	255.6 KB 
ID:	263226

He was correct, luckily for him and AM2 Lewis had managed a few shots before he had been forced to dive under the LVG and swing round to allow his observer to have a go at the monoplane. They took a few hits themselves in the process, but not enough to worry them. In fact they hardly noticed, it all happened so quickly. More to the point, they had beaten up the opposition and oily black smoke now trailed behind the Pfalz.

Name:	DYM 2 28.jpg 
Size:	247.5 KB 
ID:	263227 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 29.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	263228

Name:	DYM 2 30.jpg 
Size:	280.6 KB 
ID:	263229 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 31.jpg 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	263230

Name:	DYM 2 32.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	280.9 KB 
ID:	263231 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 33.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	263232

The firing stopped abruptly, probably because the rear gun on the LVG had jammed. Next thing they knew, they were trying hard to catch up to the LVG that was quite a bit faster than they were . Even allowing for the angle of attack, which permitted them to catch up a bit, they never felt they were in with much of a chance. The German monoplane had swung about to attack them from the rear, but then it too found it had the same problem. “We chased as hard as we could, sir, but the poor old Gunbus just wasn’t up to the job.”

Name:	DYM 2 34.jpg 
Size:	262.7 KB 
ID:	263233 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 35.jpg 
Size:	268.6 KB 
ID:	263234

Name:	DYM 2 36.jpg 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	263235 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 37.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	263236

By that time, the clouds were gathering and the light became a lot poorer. So the LVG disappeared into the clouds and we headed home for want of fuel.

Name:	DYM 2 38.jpg 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	263237 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 39.jpg 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	263238

“Not a very successful day then.” remarked Uncle. “Lost one aircraft, albeit it didn’t really belong to us. The bally Gotha succeeded in bombing a facility behind our lines and got away with it. And a pair of hun reconnaiscance aircraft picked up all the information about the bombing raid they wanted and we could do nothing about them. Dammit, we need better aircraft”
    “Aye, that we do, sir.”

Name:	DYM 2 40.jpg 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	263239 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 41.jpg 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	263240

Name:	DYM 2 42.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	263241 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM 2 43.jpg 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	263242

“OK Jo, that’ll be all for now. If you are thinking of popping over to see Mick Taker, be aware he’s not in the best of moods, OK?”

The End

Butcher’s Bill

Entente

Name:	DYM 2 44.jpg 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	263243

Lt Mick E Taker – Nieuport 10 / SD FLM FT / 0 kills
    Throw 2D6 = 9 – 2 FLM = 7 Injured – Skip 1D2 scenarios = 3 – Skip 1 scenarios
    Result – Skip 1 scenario

2nd Lt Phil U R Boots – Morane-Saulnier Type L / FRTB-E / 0 kills
    Result – All good

F/Sgt Jo Lee (Rookie) pilot Vickers F.B.5 / RTB / 0 kills
    Result – All good

AM2 Walter Lewis – observer Vickers F.B.5 / RTB / 0 kills
    Result – All good

Central Powers

Name:	DYM 2 45.jpg 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	263244

Obltn Hermann Lux – pilot (Sharp Eye) Gotha G1 / RTB / 0 kills
    Result – All good

Ltn Albert Mendel – observer Gotha G1 / RTB / 1 kill
    Result – All good (1 kill)

Ltn Wilhelm Kummets – observer Gotha G1 / WIA / RTB / 0 kills
    Throw 2D6 = 6 – 1 WIA + 1 RTB = 6 Injured – skip 1D3 scenarios. Throw 1D6 = 5
    Result – skip 3 scenarios

Ltn Karl Niederhoff – pilot LVG C11 / RTB / 0 kills
    Result – All good

Ltn Alfred Osterroht – observer LVG CII / RTB / 0 kills
    Result – All good

Ltn Hans Leptien EKII;PB;WBb (Itchy Trigger finger) – Pfalz EI / RTB / 0 kills
    Result – All good

Victory points Decisive victory for the Central Powers

Last edited by flash; 02-19-2019 at 07:07.

The visuals are stunning. What a great job on the scenery. Excellent dual session plot as well. Very enjoyable to read.
    Rep for sure.

Backdrops to die for Mike Your chaps were up against it with the Morane knocked out & the Nieuport shredded so quickly in the first stint; the Gunbus outnumbered & out classed in the second.... this will be a tough time for the Bulldogs.
    Great little action, some interesting types and all well shown off.

Uncle says:

Well you can only play the hand you're dealt and you tried your best with it which is all you can do.
    Observer's badge for Ltn Albert Mendel for his victory; wooden spoon for the Bulldogs !

Now, I have created a Gotha (G) team in the roster to crew your bomber & added another tandem team for the two-seaters so you don't have to use scout pilots as crew again..
    Last edited by flash; 02-19-2019 at 07:18.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Cheers Mischa and Dave. Its the first time I've used these backdrops and I like them a lot. Need to find something better to support them with though. I used bluetack and MDF this time and it wasn't good. Any ideas gratefully received. The seller recommended the same material used by advertisers, for their boards, but that seems to be very expensive, unless I can find a more reasonably priced supplier.

PS Thanks for the Gotha crew and tandem team Uncle - appreciated. Not so sure about the wooden spoon though
    Ltn Albert Mendel shall celebrate in style with anyone who cares to join him
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 02-19-2019 at 07:21.

Well, the Hun had your number today! At least you have all your pilots still above the ground and only lost a borrowed French plane.

Nice set of early planes, G.I, N10, MS-L, LVG, Pfalz E.II and Gunbus. Never thought I'd see that combination in the air! Backdrop is great too not to forget the beautifu; 3d ground effects. A high bar you set there.

I'm still behind on finishing my Gotha! This will delay my flying till I get to it.

Great AAR Mike. Got to get one of those GI's. All the aircraft and scenery enhanced the report. We'll done.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Absolutely stunning photos, Mike. The backdrop is the icing on an already delicious cake.
    I especially like the early closeup of your gorgeous Gotha.
    (can you tell I like your AAR?)

The results did not go your way, but a splendid effort.
    REP inbound.
    P.S. All your early birds look terrific. Wish I had more.

Thanks guys - great feedback. Glad you like it

Thumbs up

Well what can I say Mike except your game was almost a copy of mine. Lost your Neuport early on & then although you damaged the Gotha you just could not bring it down. Your Gunbus did all it could but lacked the Speed to get a result.

Superb Photos & scenery & your early war aircraft are just amazing. It was a pleasure to follow your exploits in the AAR. Rep Inbound.
    Do not fear the RFC's day will come! (Just not soon enough!!!

Just FANTASTIC.

Visually this was a treat, the backdrops enhanced the 3d boards no end, very realistic clouds and some lovely early and varied planes, some stunning photography, presumably some cropping of photos as well? I just hated it all.

Great action and a very nice dialogue just complete a most enjoyable story, you have set a very high bar, how are you going to top that?

Shame your pilots aren't doing as well as the sets and backdrop team but at least they survived to fight another day, so some consolation the I suppose.

What was wrong with mounting the backdrops on MDF? I've mounted mine on 5mm foam board and it works but is very fragile, I'm very careful seting it up. I spot glued it in place because I was worried about the glue showing through the paper, so far that's ok but it makes the whole thing even more fragile. I would expect the oils or whatever there are in bluetac to leach through the paper over time but it may not be noticeable because of the complexity of the print on the sheet.
    I've heard of the signboard material and have a 1ft square piece of it, about 5mm thick, I was told if you go along to signboard makers/printers and ask if they have any offcuts you may drop lucky, the size we would be looking for is what they throw away, so maybe a bit of skip diving might be in order.
    I did this for some perspex I acquired years ago for bases for 1:300 planes.

The clouds look great are they the insulation stuffing rather than cotton wool? I bought a lot of cotton wool balls to protect my figures in transit and was thinking of reusing it to make clouds but don't think it's going to look anything other than what it really is, yours are looking very realistic and I might go that way instead.

All in all Mike this was great. drinks on you then.

Sounds like the signboard stuff is Corex (or similar) can be pricey. For sale signs and such like are made of it should you find any ...
    Soft toy stuffing is good for clouds John easily found at the crafty shops.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Fantastic.

Might even prompt me to do something about the ‘make roads’ and ‘finish fields’ on my to do list.

Thanks again everyone. John, you are right about the MDF except for one thing - storage. The photo backdrops are around 5ft in length and I am loath to cut them. Dave is correct about the Corex. It is flexible and therefore easier to store and it is what the distributer of the pics recommend. I'll just have to keep a look out and go hassle my local printers
    Re the clouds - I use a mixture. Litko stands, stuffing on that and sometimes cotton wool on top of that. I'm thinking of dying some too to get rain clouds, but not just yet. My early attempts, in the Roe Chronicles, are just cotton wool lumped onto the table top. It worked ok. Then I saw Tim Helmut using the Litko stands at a show - had to have some of those He used the stuffing only if I remember correctly. It just grew from there.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Thanks again everyone. John, you are right about the MDF except for one thing - storage. The photo backdrops are around 5ft in length and I am loath to cut them. Dave is correct about the Corex. It is flexible and therefore easier to store and it is what the distributer of the pics recommend. I'll just have to keep a look out and go hassle my local printers
    Re the clouds - I use a mixture. Litko stands, stuffing on that and sometimes cotton wool on top of that. I'm thinking of dying some too to get rain clouds, but not just yet. My early attempts, in the Roe Chronicles, are just cotton wool lumped onto the table top. It worked ok. Then I saw Tim Helmut using the Litko stands at a show - had to have some of those He used the stuffing only if I remember correctly. It just grew from there.
    Corex is not the stuff i was thinking of, but it does sound more suitable if you can roll it. A 5' backdrop is pretty big, the ones i bought are about 30" long and the join always jars so i agree with your decision not to cut. Whose make are the ones you bought?

Thanks to you and Dave re the info on clouds, I do like the idea of rain clouds.

Odd, I didn't see this AAR until just now. Excellent work on the unofficial aircraft mix, and the scenery is a treat, as well.

Corex is not the stuff i was thinking of
    Your right John, I got that wrong, although I shall look it up and see if its ok and cheaper. The recommended material is called Foamex, 2mm or 3mm Foam Vinyl board. Pretty expensive stuff

The pics I purchased are "id Backscenes - Series 207 "Hills & Dales" Pack B. Contents are 3 metres in 2 sections by 38 cm tall (approx. 10ft x 15in) - www.art-printers.com . They do quite a range.

Sam - thanks for the comments Glad you liked it!

Another outstanding set up Mike, which helps me to get my mind off the fact that we are gettin a right good seein to.
    I have not even flown mine yet being a bit behind with Sails games.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

which helps me to get my mind off the fact that we are gettin a right good seein to
    Its that period of the war Rob. No getting away from it. Its good to know that the rules around the early models actually work historically - Can't have it all our own way

Quite Mike. No problem with that at all, after the riot the RFC and later the RAF have run over the last few campaigns.
    Guess I should have signed off with Kyte, but adding the bit out of character about Sails at the end rather spoilt it.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. OTT Daring Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 02-19-2020, 07:01
  2. AAR AAR OTT-DYM--Mission 2- 14th Jan 1916-Coming & Going--gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-19-2019, 07:40
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-19-2019, 07:27
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-22-2019, 15:09
  5. AAR OTT Daring Young Men Mission 1 Luftwachdienst – Sperrflug - 5th January 1916
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-21-2019, 11:34