Finally I got the Starter Set. Quickly run through the rules and the components. My initial thoughts are:
1. The models are super detailed. Excellent stuff.
2. However: trying to fix them on the pegs shows they may be placed in 360 degrees directions, like other WGS/WGF models. You know minis could turn esily allaround the pegs during the game. It is not a problem in WDF/WGS, for bases show the right direction. In BSC the bases are round. So this may deceive your eye.
3. Basic rules seem to be quite complicated comparing to those of WGF/WGS.
4. The cockpits. Fine, BUT the speeds you choose on them should be kept secret. How? Should we keep them upside down and then revealed along the cards? Correct me, but it can not work, IMHO.
5. The scenarios included. Nice, they should provide players with hours of fun.
6. The cards. They are a sleever's torment. Ships' cards are quite ok, they may be sleeved easily with standard (probably Tarot size) sleevs. But the talent and flaw cards sizes are special. Why they are not of the size of WGF/WGS is a mystery to me. You should trim them or use oversized sleevs and have them moving inside. Maneuver cards are a special horror story. They do not fit in size and shape to ANY sleeve. With they multi angle shape I see them weary after several games with players who love to cherish and suck the cards before deciding which one to play. Dear Andrea! Why did not you make them as typical, easy to sleeve squares with all printed necessary shapes and values upon? Bases could be placed just upon them on proper lines. Moreover, knowing ARES policy I do not expect extra decks to be available separately.
7. The rulers. plastic/acrylic/wooden replacements are necessary, I think. The original ones do not seem durable enough.
Now I am ready to face your blows, Cylons